Givi Topcase, recommendations.

(This archived section can be viewed by all, but modified only by Doug and moderators.)
This reference section highlights some key aftermarket accessories or installation walkthroughs that people have found useful.

Moderator: Moderators

Optimus Prime
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Givi Topcase, recommendations.

Post by Optimus Prime »

Well, I think I'm going to be mounting an ugly topcase to the beautiful roadster. I have a feeling I'm going to start using the roadster like a mini RT / commuter bike. I have the stealth backrest for the wife, however it eats up enough backseat real-estate (an inch or so) that we actually fit better without it. What I'm looking for is a large topcase that can also double as a backrest, and it'll need to be set far enough back that it doesn't intrude into the back seat area at all.

I really like the Givi e52, and it wouldn't be hard to mount to the bike, however I have a feeling it'll sit too far forward. The E450 simply may be a better option, supposedly I could custom fit that one, but I have no experience with either bag. Anybody out there have any suggestions?

TIA
-Jason
DG02
Basic User

GIVI topcase

Post by DG02 »

My wife has a Givi top box on her scooter and it is good value for the money. However I got a Hepco & Becker top box for my R since I felt it matched the original saddlebags and lines of the bike much better. PM me if you would like more info.
Dave
Member #2
Board #1
sdixit
Basic User

Post by sdixit »

I went with the E45 (cheapest). Does the job. I can fit a Darien Jacket (XL) with back protector + Darien Pant (size 38 with hip pads) into it. I have put SOLAS reflector tapes on the top case. Looks all right.

(My helmet + winter gloves fit nicely in the right system case.)
aghogg
Basic User

Post by aghogg »

Hi,

Just registered on the site and it's my first post here. Hi to everyone :)

I'm picking up my R1150R this Saturday, it's an 03 model in Dakar yellow/graphite with just over 4000 miles on the clock. Test rode a Rockster last weekend and loved it (was my first time on a Beemer) but being short I figured an R with low seat might be more practical.

So I've got my Givi E52 topbox from my CBR600, and it seems that right now Givi have discontinued the monorack arms for the 1150R. They're telling me I can only buy the smaller frame and plate that fits to the system case rails. But this can only take a total 6kg load instead of 10kg so I'm not entirely keen.

Anyone got any experience of this particular frame? Or even better, anyone else here in the UK able to suggest anywhere that might still have the proper monorack arms in stock?

Regards,
-Ash
towerworker

topbox

Post by towerworker »

I have to admit I went the cheap route with a combination topbox/backrest for the wife. I primary reason for the purchase was the backrest for my wife. She was having some difficulty with riding any appreciable distance without something to give her a more secure feeling. I bought a box from JC Whitney that has a backrest integrated into it.
About $90 plus shipping and it does a pretty good job. The finish is pretty good and I had to do some home engineering to adapt it to the BMW rack but it fits well and the little lady now feels safer. Also have room to pack more stuff!

I think the ability to submit pics is not working right now so if you want any shots of it drop me an email and I will send some.
[email protected]

Wayne
03r
towerworker

topbox

Post by towerworker »

Gave the wrong email in the previous post.

Correct email is [email protected]

Wayne
03r
Optimus Prime
Basic User

Re: topbox

Post by Optimus Prime »

towerworker wrote:Gave the wrong email in the previous post.

Correct email is [email protected]

Wayne
03r
You've got mail.
Peter J

Givi Topcase

Post by Peter J »

Givi only sells the mounting kit SR683 which mounts to the system case side rails. It mounts in place of the BMW rack and is designed for the monokey cases (E52, E460, V46, E350) which limits you to the larger cases. They used to sell a E35 which was a nice mid size case. The instructions indicated a weight limit of 10Kg, and the design will work fine at that weight. You could also use one of the monolock cases on the factory rack not as strong (no additional support arm) and would be limited to 5 Kg or less.
Peter J

Givi Topcase

Post by Peter J »

One other advantage to adding the system case rails is the grab handles are built in.
ctRrider
Lifer

Post by ctRrider »

This past winter I bought and installed a Givi SR683 rack and a E460N topcase. I also got the backrest pad. It is on my bike more that the side cases. I got it to commute and for my wife who wanted a backrest. My briefcase fits inside.

I used to use a Pelican 1490 case for my computer and strapped it on the seat. The Pelican is too large to fit into the Givi, but my regular soft padded computer case fits nicely. When I get to work I take the briefcase out and put my Stich and fleece jacket in the case. The topcase has ben very handy. It does give my bike a narrower profile for traffic than the side cases.

The SR 683 rack mounts easily and is very sturdy. It is rated for about 20 lbs. but looks like it could easily take much more. It does not flex when I lean or put my weight into it.

Bought it from Keith in Alaska (http://www.rentalaska.com) and got a good deal.

Tom
aghogg
Basic User

Post by aghogg »

ctRrider wrote:The SR 683 rack mounts easily and is very sturdy. It is rated for about 20 lbs. but looks like it could easily take much more. It does not flex when I lean or put my weight into it.
hm, Givi's site states that it's rated for only 6kg (I think that's about 12 lbs). I also called them just to be sure.

Last year when I went to France on the CBR I had my E52 *very* loaded - I'm really hesitant to buy the 683 in case it's not enough...
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Re: topbox

Post by Shaman »

towerworker wrote: I think the ability to submit pics is not working right now
You can find the pic on the JCWhitney website and post it here using their picture address and the tags.
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

When I had my 2003 R I bought the SR683 kit with nylon replacement mounting rack and a Givi V46 case with back rest. I liked the V46 because it has a built-in brake light option and my dealer told me it was the size that the Givi catalog "recommends" for the R.

Before I mounted it to the R, my wife and I decided that the R was just not the bike for us to do 2up touring on, and we traded it in for my 04 RT. I sold the SR683 mounting kit and plate on EBAY and as part of the purchase deal on my RT, the dealer provided a mounting kit and did the V46 installation on the RT.

PROs:

Monokey system is great - box pops on and off in seconds with less effort than installing/removing the system cases.

Back rest is comfortable (reported by wife) and box is high quality

With installed brake light option and reflectors, along with SOLAS tape I added, the box is great for conspicuity

CONS:

The V46 overhangs the tailight to the rear and in my opinion blocks the conspicuity of the tail light. I addressed this by adding a blinking LED taillight kit from GizmoMill.

The V46 is not big enough to meet my 2up touring needs in the RT - I wish I had a 52 liter box (anybody want to trade???) - although I don't think I would want anything bigger than the 46 liter on the R1150R
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"