It's been a Great Ride.....

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Pat
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

It's been a Great Ride.....

Post by Pat »

I am saddened by that which can no longer go ignored. There are times in life that we simply can not turn a blind eye to "wake-up calls." I have had a few to include the following:

Twenty years ago my head was in the clouds and I was headed down a path of unworldly philosophical/spiritual/"ooga booga"/occult curiosities. My having entered into a line of work as a "Prison Guard" shortly thereafter grounded me pretty quickly though.

I then crossed over into a world of cynicism, prejudice, anger, frustration, and depression..... disillusioned by the lack of integrity of my co-workers and the hypocrisy of a system gone awry (now under federal scrutiny). And as a result, I quit my job as a Youth Correctional Officer/Counselor.

I carried a concealed weapon legally, and found myself going into places and situations where I did NOT belong. I came to grips with that, and actually stopped carrying my Seacamp for awhile.... a couple times.

Most recently and more to the point, my driving habits on the motorcycle has resulted in quite a few speeding tickets in the last four years. I have been able to take Traffic School and keep a clean record...... until September of '03. Without going into detail, I've been busted far too many times of late to be able to claim undue harassment, with the exception of a ticket I received yesterday:
A Sheriff's Deputy claims that I pulled out in front of him unsafely, and that I was traveling "10 mph" in a "55 mph" zone (it's actually posted at 45), and he cited me.
Tomorrow I'm going to court for the speeding ticket I received last month during a sting on the local freeway.
REGARDLESS, I don't belong on a bike right now, let alone a "sport bike!"

A gentleman will be driving up tomorrow evening to buy my Sprint from me. He's getting a good deal, and I'm gonna pay off some excesses of late. I don't belong on a bike right now, ESPECIALLY if the officer shows up to court in the morning, and I can't get out of the above mentioned "Pulling into Rdwy" ticket.

I can not ignore that I have a propensity to speed on a bike, and that I am a lightening rod for attracting the attention of that which will result in prohibitive insurance rates.

I'm selling the Triumph (tomorrow night), and staying off two wheels for awhile. No more Sport Bikes for me....... But the last four years has been a GREAT RIDE!
:cry:
Member #31
toner87

Post by toner87 »

Now that's some news I never saw coming... Wow!!! The quintessential "man's gotta' do what a man's gotta do" situation...
Of course, you'd better keep hanging around the site - and let us know when you pick up that k1200r! :lol:
T.
marko
Basic User

Post by marko »

wow, sorry to hear that Pat.
I hope you keep contributing to the site (no doubt you will) and maybe
even be tempted to get back on the bike as you keep abreast of all the new Beemers (and other bikes) being released........
I hope you get out of your latest ticket and decide what is best for you.
Our proliferation of speed cameras here make it a less than pleasant experience on the roads and there is no chance for any sort of extenuating circumstances. If you get caught only 15km/h over the limit it is 3 points (only 12 points allowed over 3 years!) and a $250 fine.
That means you could lose your license after 4 infingements.
Anyway.
Thinking of you and you can enjoy contributing to the site while you contemplate your next 2 wheeled steed.
r1150r.net Discerning discussion and BMW coffee
ladybeemer
Lifer

Post by ladybeemer »

Pat,

Hearing one's inner voice and making changes, although not always those we desire, takes wisdom.

Who knows what you might discover while your feet are on the ground more often :wink:

Keep up your daily visits.

Linda
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

It's ironic, and without going into details, the gentleman of whom I speak was driving up last night on an R1150R to anxiously look at my bike. He had a 2003 Sprint RS, and after 22 years of riding he felt he had found the "right bike" for him.

At over 80 mph, he was hit by a car and his much loved Triumph Sprint was totaled...... In full leathers, he slid enough to grind through the leather, and split his helmet open upon impact with the road rail. But he still longs for the characteristic "fat & flat" torque curve of the triple, and the pleasure he got from passing Japanese bikes on the curves (better him than me).

He found my bike on "Craig's List" at a VERY reasonable price, and promptly sent me three emails through the day and another into the evening. On his way to my house last night, his map flew off his gas tank, and he had to return home. I could tell that he was worried I might sell it to one of the other two gentleman who have inquired about the bike (one of which was a stereotypical attempt at scamming me) Tonight it's all about loading the Sprint up on a U-Haul trailer, and kissing my much loved Triumph Sprint good bye.

I don't know if it's the loss of GREAT engine/bike, or knowing that I will be without a bike for a while, or even the realization that I have "issues" right now (made evident by my insistence to push the safety/legal envelope), but manly man that I AM, my tears will not be seen save for the shower-head while seeking hydro-therapy.

Gotta go take a shower now, court and the great Robe'd One awaits me.
Member #31
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

Post by Britnheaven »

PAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT!!!!

WTF.

Oh - my - god!

-------------

------

------------

Pat - you need a cruiser. Its strange but riding the GSA has slowed me down tremendously - I never realized how much untill I rode with old freinds at last w/e's 49er. Upright and comfortable is the way to go.
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

Pat - Sorry to hear about your plight. Sounds like a haitus might be a good idea. I think street riding is a combination of self-discipline and luck when it comes to avoiding the cops - hard to tell what the ratio should be and harder yet to influence your "luck".

Stick with us on the board and keep sharing your thoughts!
Last edited by BobFV1 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Pat....Bugger bugger bugger!!!.....good luck in court tomorrow.

Come on Pat....you'll bounce back....you always said "Life is good"...well a rider without a bike...life is not that good.

It might be time to buy that handbag...I mean scooter...that'll keep you out of trouble.. :lol:

BTW...marko that 15 klm law... over here is now only 10 klm.. :shock:

In the last year or so I've got done twice... :evil:

once for 110 in a 100 (just sitting with the traffic)...$250 and 3 points.
and again not long ago..doing 70 in a 60 (again just sitting with the traffic)...another $250 and 3 points....sheesh!

anyway....Pat....glad in a way the Triumph is going and I hope we see you back on a BMW soon...where you belong. :D

Pls. keep in touch and let us all know how tomorrow goes.

DJ
GJBushman
Basic User

End of a chapter

Post by GJBushman »

Patrick,

Sounds like a good end to this chapter. Your book is still being written, dude. So, turn the page and get on with the rest the story! How about this for the opening to the next chapter...

"A group of midwestern tourists approached the short, bald man with the camera and stared in amazement. It was unclear if the group's attention was focused on the subject of the photographer's lens or the man himself. After a a few moments of sharp whispers and giggling, a small girl stepped out from the group and motioned to the kneeling man, she said in a shy voice, 'Hey mister, did you know that when you bend over like that I can see your thong?' "

You fill in the rest. Go shoot some pictures along that wonderful range of light you have out there. Slow down if you must.
Jamie
rkdemay
Triple Lifer

Wow.

Post by rkdemay »

Heartfelt sympathy, Patrick.

Get the money wrestled into submission, take some deep breaths and then let your next bike choose you. You'll know it when it calls. No need to rush. Might take years, though that's hard to imagine in your case.

Frankly, I don't care if your only wheels are on a grocery cart hangin' a hard right from canned goods into frozen food. You're a rider. Simple.

The rest will work itself out.

Take care, don't get down, and keep us posted.

Cheers,

-rkd
marko
Basic User

Post by marko »

BTW...marko that 15 klm law... over here is now only 10 klm..

Sh4t!! ...that combined with the ludicrous 40km/h on highways near schools at various times........why don't we just walk!!!
Time for a revolution....
r1150r.net Discerning discussion and BMW coffee

Re: It's been a Great Ride.....

Post by Guest »

[quote="Pat"]
I can not ignore that I have a propensity to speed on a bike, and that I am a lightening rod for attracting the attention of that which will result in prohibitive insurance rates.
I'm selling the Triumph (tomorrow night), and staying off two wheels for awhile. No more Sport Bikes for me....... But the last four years has been a GREAT RIDE!

Patrick:
The sale of your bike seems to me to be a huge over-reaction to a few silly traffic citations... If there is something more going on maybe I could understand, but knowing you and your love for the magical two wheelers I am appalled at you having sold the Turnip.
From what I had understood, you were no where near the loss of your driver's license (point-wise) and I believe you had a very winnable arguement with your last issuance of the invitation to speak with the 'Robed One'. Please give the gentleman back his money and get your scooter back... Or, do you have your eye already cast upon another to fill that void in your heart/garage???

ButtHead
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Time for a Vespa, or Honda Helix Pat.

Wait a month or two, but get something that is slower. Maybe some type of vintage ride. Honda CB360, or BMW R65, for example.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

damn, sorry pat.

they gonna pull your license? i hope not.

i know what you mean, it's all that damn leaning forward. makes you wanna crank it. that's why I got the R so I could temper myself.

every once in a while go test ride a bike for kicks.
but, take is easy for a while, and grab another sportster when the time is right

or a kingpin. yeah, a kingpin.

nice and easy does it.

after a few months of this you have permission to start abusing anyone who sets foot in the playhouse.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

GJBushman,
you're too funny! :lol: I thought for a moment though, that the story was leading to the short bald guy being approached by his long sought after soul-mate..... that he was no longer to be "that weird guy who's never married, and only cats for room mates."

Steve,
I got a firm spanking from the Judge today. Though I may only have one ticket on my record (now two....), I have in my file mention made of the other four speeding tickets for which I was granted attending Traffic School.
I tried to keep my drama to a minimum, and he listened..... even thanking me for my "candor" (sounded familiar, I wonder if he was the same judge I was before in Manteca two years ago), but he suggested "Once, maybe".... "twice, he was "far less likely to consider leniancey".... three times "NO!".... BUT YOU'VE BEEN GIVEN FOUR CHANCES!!!?

Put me on a bike that has me leaning forward and my ass in the air, and I'll likely not be "cruising." Stick me on an upright naked that I still can't reach the handlebars nor the ground from the seat of, with it's 80 to 140 horsepower.... and I doubt I will "maintain." Nope, it's gonna hafta be something with a "cruis'n" attitude, low seat height, bars and a gas tank that will not impinge upon my belly, and FREE..... 'cause I'll be paying for my last four years of bike'n excess and buying dirt, fertilizer, and pretty flowers for my (too long) neglected yard. I'm broke, I'm not a true "Hooligan", and I have always chosen..........
to do the right thing.

I'ma pussy,
any of y'all gotta problem with that???
If you do, we can discuss if over some Pinot Noir while you help me to select the right ground cover for that bare spot in the back yard next to my Bird of Paradise.
Member #31
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Pat,
What about a R1200C. They are underpowered enough that it might keep you at sane top speeds, and the seat height is right too.

Don't plant any kind of ivy, because you will never stop trimming it.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

I happen to know where I can get a 2002 R1200C Montana with low mileage for seven grand.... and he might take less. He's been trying to get me to buy the thing for the last couple years. And it's a Classic Black, you know.... with White BMW pinstripes.

Ivy. I'm too close to a river..... RATS! You can see them run across the power lines sometimes. I don't want rats.
UNLESS it's a RAT bike!
Member #31
new2BMW
Lifer

Post by new2BMW »

Pat;
I truly hope you find whatever it is your looking for. Take time to smell the roses (or ground cover, or whatever...). Life is too short to get all balled up over the daily frustrations.

Do you still have the "Short History of Nearly Everything" audiobook I sent you last year? If so, listen to part or all of it and gain some perspective on how miniscule all of our problems are in the entire scheme of things. Take life day by day and soon you will see a new horizon.

Hopefully one day you'll be back in the saddle. if not, we are going to look aweful silly with you riding pillion behind me whenever I make it to Stockton.

Sincerely,
Jeff
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Mark Twain
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Pat needs one of each in this picture...
Bill
'07 R1200RT
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

These are the answers to Pat's prayers...
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/at. ... frames=yes
Bill
'07 R1200RT