Little Cottonwood Canyon-Wasatch National Forest

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

bruno71
Basic User
Donating Member #: 495

Little Cottonwood Canyon-Wasatch National Forest

Post by bruno71 »

As promised, here are a few photos and a few seconds of video from Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Here is a short clip headed down the canyon between Alta and Snowbird ski resorts.

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83 ... CF0833.flv

The ski season is nearly over, but there seems to be just enough snow for a few more days of sking at Alta.

A few more video clips that are okay as long as you don't suffer from vertigo or motion sickness. I held the camera beside the valve cover as I was recording this headed down the canyon.

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83 ... CF0834.flv

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83 ... CF0835.flv

These pictures are not in any specific order, but they will give you some idea of what the canyon looks like.

I plan on buying a new camera in the next few weeks. If you have any suggestions as to which brand or model, your input will be very much appreciated.

-Bruno
"Enough said------maybe too much?"

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Re: Little Cottonwood Canyon-Wasatch National Forest

Post by Biff's R »

Nice pics. I remember skiing at Alta in the mid 90's. What a great day.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Bruno - nice report. You live in a pretty area. I think I'll be coming through Utah on my way to Dubois, Wyoming around mid July or so. That looks like a nice road to travel. Especially this photo:

I have seen a lot of the blooms? from the cottonwood trees in Colorado so far. It looks like it is snowing when they are falling. Is it blooms or something else?
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

GypsyRR,
You know, I think you are right, it is the Cottonwoods, but I'm not positive. I have only lived in Utah for about a year now and I'll be moving to New York State this time next year. I'll ask my neighbors, they'll know what it is for sure. Currently, I'm packing the Rockster with my camping gear for an extended ride into Idaho in the coming weeks. Do you have any additional suggestions for items that one should have or heave? BTW, you have set the bar much too high with your incredible trip reports, but I'll submit something anyway. :oops: :D Thanks for taking the time to put them together. Add my voice to the chorus of appreciative vicarious enthusiasts of your adventures!

Best Wishes-

Bruno

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Additional advise on camping? I don't know what you already have or know, but some things I've learned along the way so far.

Heave the pretty sandals, and the lace items. OH wait. You probably aren't packing that anyway. :lol:

Seriously - heave half of the clothes you think you need. If it is just you, you will be amazed at how tolerable you are with your own stink and filth. hahahaha. Okay - (and this is just so demeaning to have to admit) .....but I've learned I am actually capable of going more than 24 hours without a shower. And that has happened more than once, and it's tolerable and I think I'm still somewhat presentable enough for nature and enough to get a burger at a mom and pop cafe. If you're alone - then well - It really can be done. :oops: I swear, I'm just one riding season away from trying (or being forced) to live under a bridge. No...- really, I think I am.

I only brought a limited amount of thermal type wear, because on the Gulf Coast of Texas, you just don't imagine needing it..... EVER. So I have 2 Fleece shirts, and 2 pair of silks, and my BMW Transition Jacket, and a true Wind Breaker Jacket. Fleece cap and fleece non-motorcycle gloves. All of these are used daily. Three pair of fleece, for me, would have been ideal. But I'm getting along fine with what I have. If I could heave a lot of the 'pretty' stuff, I would. I have since packed most of it into compression bags and just keep it stored in the lock box of the truck.

Some random thoughts:

Do you have all you need in camping supplies? If so, then bring extra supplies for the supplies. i.e. batteries, and bulbs, any kind of repair kit for your stove, supplies for lantern

Bring more trash bags (small) then you think you need.

Getting ice daily is a hassle. I don't know the answer for that. I wish I did. Gets expensive too. Let me qualify that. $1.50 is not expensive. $1.50 every day does add up, but still not expensive. BUT - when you slept somewhere for free, ate meals you had packed, took a shower for $1.75, and then patted yourself on the back for having only spent a total of $5.00 that day (except for gas) ........ well, then suddenly in the big scheme of things - $1.50 for ice seems a little much. And the thing is; $1.50 is CHEAP for ice up here. WTF? It's water that's frozen!!! It's a heck of a lot harder to freeze water in Houston where it's 100 degrees, I would think, and yet ice down there is $.99. Sorry about the rant. Too long in the wasteland, I suppose.

Extra sunglasses. I've had two pair break on this trip. Cheap ones, but nonetheless, they did cost more than that bag of ice!!!

Stay organized. You lose valuable time if you don't stay organized. And you lose valuable items. Speaking of...... I lost a new digital point and shoot out the window of my truck. Amazing how far it bounced without coming apart before it went over the cliff. So now I'm down to my one which I have to fix at least once every trip, but it isn't let me fix it anymore either. So I'm down to 2 DSLR's now. This is not good. I'll have to find a Best Buy (on a day I have a shower) and replace the point and shoot - which is another reason I hate paying for ice!!! :) A strap around my wrist as I was holding it out the window would have been smart.

If you are traveling alone, don't take chances. Things can happen, and there will not be anyone around to help you. Yes, I'm learning that.

One more, but I'm sure I'll think of others.

Keep a notepad and pen easily always accessible. Thoughts will come to you that you don't want to forget. Or you will hear someone say something that you don't want to forget. Or see a sign, that triggers an idea in your head, or makes you contemplate a change in a life plan ----- Make it a habit to write it down asap. You WILL forget if you don't. For instance, I completely forgot to write about the woman in one of the campground restrooms who had heard that I hurt my back when I tried to pick up my DR (news travels fast!!!). She asked about it, as I was getting dressed after my shower. Asked me where I hurt. I told her in my lower back along the spine and then kept dressing and the next thing I know this 5'9" woman has her arms wrapped around me from behind and is trying to pop my back. Well, THAT was a bit unnerving and uncomfortable. She had had back problems and thought she could fix mine. Whoa. No thanks! But - I completely forgot to put that in my report because I didn't write it down! So see - write things down!

And now just some good ol' Native American wisdom that I was taught and which I try to incorporate in my daily life. And this is especially true if your trip is a journey - and solo.

1. Notice everything, Notice everything - but especially the anomalies in nature you come across, and try to understand what it is teaching you. If you do not know the answer at that moment, write down what you see, and then think about it whenever you can. The answer will come to mind. When answers come, write them down. You will be amazed that when you get back to your every day life, very possibly you will have learned something needed for a situation, and now have answers before the situation even arises. I know this.
2. Just as we say in motorcycling, 'ride your own ride,' on a journey - walk your own walk. Know who you are. And be who you are, not who you think people expect you to be. You are the strongest and best when you are doing that for which you were created. Be that.
3. You are not invincible. You are not as big as you think you are. You do not know all there is to know on a subject or about a situation. All your preparation, planning, training, confidence, courage, and hope will not help you when you are up against that which is more powerful than you, that which will not bend to your command, or that which you do not understand. All that to say - Keep things in perspective. You'll notice more, and what you see will not be distorted. And then......Notice everything.

It comes full circle.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

GypsyRR,
Aah, there is something about traveling that brings out the romantic/philosopher in those of us that live a contemplative life. Your timeless perspective reminded me of Margaret Anne Doody's introduction to Franny Burney's novel, The Wanderer. She states, "Wandering is the quintessential Romantic Activity, as it represents erratic and personal energy expended outside a structure, and without progressing a set objective. Impelled either by the harshness of a rejecting society or by some inner spiritual quest, the Wanderer leaves the herd and moves to or through some form of symbolic wilderness or wildness, seeing a world very different from that percieved by those who think they are at the centre."

Thanks for the tips, and I'll refine my packing list accordingly. I hate to see the lacy things go though. :D I suppose I'll have to feel pretty some other time. :lol: That reminds me of an old Red Skelton joke. Red would say that he always wanted to be a fireman when he grew up so he could rescue ladies in skimpy night gowns, but he decided not to because he looked ridiculous in skimpy night gowns. :lol:

Enjoy your trip, despite the expensive ice. My past 20 years of military service has taught me that a shower, warm food and ice are all unnecessary luxuries, but you know, somehow our luxuries do become a necessity. I remember craving a glass of sweet (ice) tea during the first battle of Fallujah like I was some kind of junkie. Later, in the towns, local vendors would sell 8-10" x 8-10" blocks of ice (dirty Euphrates River water) to passing soldiers for $10 a block. They always had plenty of takers.

If you were going to buy just one new digital camera for your trip that costs less than $500, what would it be? Less than $300?

Thanks in advance-

-Bruno

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit
ScooterCop
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by ScooterCop »

Did some research on Consumer Reports for you, all are CR best buys:

Canon PowerShot A720 IS
Highs
Very good image quality, next-shot delay and dynamic range. Long 6x optical zoom. Versatile. Reasonably priced. Includes optical viewfinder, manual controls and manual focus.

Lows
Camera design places flash too close to where you hold the camera, possibly obstructing the strobe. Batteries may fall out of camera when changing memory card.

Bottom Line
This moderately priced PowerShot offers many shooting options, such as manual and exposure controls, plus practical features, such as an optical viewfinder, which can be helpful in composing in bright light situations. For such an inexpensive point-and-shoot, it was a very versatile camera that could zoom optically while recording video. It also had very good next shot delay.

Canon PowerShot SX100 IS
Highs
Relatively inexpensive. Very good image quality and dynamic range. Excellent next-shot delay. Very versatile. Includes face detection and manual controls. Very good battery life.

Lows
No viewfinder. For a super-zoom, the flash range should be better.

Bottom Line
This is the first model in a new PowerShot line from Canon, and competes effectively with other budget super-zooms. For an inexpensive super-zoom, it captures very good image quality and performs very well.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H3
Highs
Very good image quality and first-shot delay. Excellent next-shot delay and dynamic range. Features a 10x optical zoom and manual controls. Includes an output for HDTV (but not the cable).

Lows
No indication that camera has locked focus when shutter is pressed halfway down. Not quite as versatile as other super-zooms. No viewfinder.

Bottom Line
Like its brandmate, the Cyber-shot DSC-H9, the lighter and smaller H3 scored very well in our Ratings and features many shooting options, such as manual and exposure controls. It also includes face detection. Although the camera scored slightly higher than other budget super-zoom, it was also more expensive.
2004 R1150R ABS
2004 Piaggio BV200 (for work use only!!!)
bruno71
Basic User

Post by bruno71 »

Scootercop,
Thanks for checking CR for me. It is a great source of info for just this sort of purchase. I'll buy you a beer next year after I move up to NY. :D

-Bruno

Member #595
K1200GT Gen II
'03 Suzuki Bandit