It's gone!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

hass
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

It's gone!

Post by hass »

Sold my R12R today. In the end it just didn't have the HP I wanted (plus my right hand and foot kept going numb).

Thinking about buying one of these instead:
Ride safe
/hass

"Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong." - Oscar Wilde
NCGS
Basic User

Re: It's gone!

Post by NCGS »

I'm thinking about one of those, too!.. but that's all we can do here, is think about 'em, since they don't import 'em..

J/K - still liking my R12R just fine... [-X
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

hass wrote:Sold my R12R today. In the end it just didn't have the HP I wanted (plus my right hand and foot kept going numb).
Sorry to hear that, Haas, but no bike can be all things to all people. My R1200R is by far the best bike I've ever owned, even though my right hand (not foot) goes numb.

Just my opinion, I don't think your new ride is nearly as purty as the R.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
gremlin
Basic User

Post by gremlin »

My friends and I used to go to all the local bike salesrooms to google-eye the latest new bikes; even after getting a 'bigger bike' I still loved to see what else I could get next.

Then I got my R1200R :biggrin:
bmwk100
Basic User

Post by bmwk100 »

What happened to your interest in the Triumph Speed Triple? If you want HP, that is the naked bike.
Blue 10' R1200R
Triumph Sprint ST (traded for)
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

bmwk100 wrote:What happened to your interest in the Triumph Speed Triple? If you want HP, that is the naked bike.
I test rode it for 15 mins and loved it. Then I went back and took a 40 min test ride and hated it - my right hand and foot went numb, the seat was even more unbearable than the R12R, it wasn't as smooth around town and in traffic, loads of stuff. Basically I loved the handling and power and looks but that wasn't enough for me to spend the extra money.

The CB1000R is very similar to the Speed Triple but with much better low speed / low rev manners, important for me when I commute.
Ride safe
/hass

slow
Basic User

Post by slow »

Hi,

For people who gets numbness, may I ask what RPM range do you ride in? On my r12r, I don't get offensive vibe to the foot till 55k and to the hands in the summer till 5k (slightly higher in winter due to thicker gloves). I use to get numb hands around 4.5k but, after installing foam grips, I do well till beyond 5k.

I now notice more more issues with the silly mirrors that shakes and any RPM except 3k. At 3k, the mirrors are smooth enough to almost read plates.

thanks
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

slow wrote:Hi,

For people who gets numbness, may I ask what RPM range do you ride in? On my r12r, I don't get offensive vibe to the foot till 55k and to the hands in the summer till 5k (slightly higher in winter due to thicker gloves). I use to get numb hands around 4.5k but, after installing foam grips, I do well till beyond 5k.

I now notice more more issues with the silly mirrors that shakes and any RPM except 3k. At 3k, the mirrors are smooth enough to almost read plates.

thanks
This may be counter-intuitive, but I get numbness in my right hand (never in my feet) at ANY RPM after about 20 minutes, but my mirrors are clear up to at least 5000. I don't think my numbness is due to vibration, more to a carpel tunnel type syndrome, due to the position I hold the throttle. I am hoping that a Throttle Meister will solve the problem.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

I am left handed and I wear my watch on my right hand. I find that if I do not wear my watch whist riding the bike my right hand does not go numb.
Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

celticus wrote:I am left handed and I wear my watch on my right hand. I find that if I do not wear my watch whist riding the bike my right hand does not go numb.
Mark
Ditto - made worse by carpal-tunnel. I found a pocket watch when riding works just fine for me..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
NCGS
Basic User

Post by NCGS »

famousperson wrote:This may be counter-intuitive, but I get numbness in my right hand (never in my feet) at ANY RPM after about 20 minutes, but my mirrors are clear up to at least 5000. I don't think my numbness is due to vibration, more to a carpel tunnel type syndrome, due to the position I hold the throttle. I am hoping that a Throttle Meister will solve the problem.
You may have the same problem I have. I found that my hands (especially my right hand) cramped like crazy after short periods with the stock grips. I covered the grips with foam covers - effectively increasing the overall diameter of the grips - and I have no more pain in my hands.
NeilS
Basic User

Post by NeilS »

For those with right hand problems, try a Throttle Rocker or a Cramp Buster. They let you hold the throttle open using the weight of your wrist and forearm rather than having to keep your hand and forearm muscles tight. One of the better $10 investments you can make.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

All the above are good ideas if your hands go numb or tingle.. as a long time sufferer of CTS I've tried all of them. Some bikes just can't be "fixed" (my old R1150RS - nothing I did cured it.. it was basically unrideable for me..) I have a dead-man throttle, O ring under the bar-end weight - throttle stays where I put it, foam grips, put my wrist watch in my pocket when riding (or wear a pocket watch), foam grips from Beemerboneyard, loose cuffs on my gloves and Aerostich - and even then - sometimes in the AM on the way to work my right hand goes a bit numb... but longer trips - like last weeks looking for a straight road in West Virginia - no problem. Go figure.. I can't explain it.
hass
Basic User

Post by hass »

I don't have CTS but I do suffer from numbness on alot of bikes. However, the detuned fireblade engine in the Honda is just sooooooooo smoooooooth. :D
Ride safe
/hass

peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

I have every arm ailment there is from years of typing, mouse clicking, bass playing, construction work, and off-road riding. I do not, however, experience numbness from most bikes I've ridden -- and certainly not from the R1200R.

I ride with the pads of my palms just resting across the tops of the grips. This was the technique I learned from someone after experiencing handle bar palsy, something that happens on bicycles and motorcycles from too much vibration and too strong of a grip on the bars. Could it be that some of ya'll are gripping the bars too tightly?
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
Graf
Basic User
Donating Member #: 642

Post by Graf »

.....i know i am not gripping the bars tightly......if fact my hand is relaxed but still wrapped around the handlebar......but i am still exeriencing numbness after about an hour of riding......the tip of my thumb starts tingling and the fingers cramp up.......the foam grips from beemerboneyard definately help by increaseing the grip thickness....but not completely.....i am thinking about heavier bar ends (maybe even throttlemeister cruise control....they have heavy bar ends) and definately that cramp baster thingy......to say that you do not experience vibrations (buzzing) on R12R at above 4000 rpm is a lie (this is just a general comment....not aimed at anybody that may be lying:-) 8-[ ......although some people may be less bothered by it then the others......
Alex G. - San Francisco Bay Area - Member # 642
08 R1200R
07 GSX R600 - Totalled by EX SO
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

How do those foam grips affect the heat from the hand grips?
Peckhammer what kind of bass do you play?
Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

celticus wrote: Peckhammer what kind of bass do you play?
Mark
Played... sigh. 1964 Fender Precision.

I partially amputated two fingers (re-attached but with loss of sensation of pressure) and I have tendinitis in both arms that make playing the bass too difficult now. I do mess around on 6 string guitar these days. I have a Rickenbacker 620 and a G&L ASAT Classic. If you've seen my videos, then you've heard me play. It's the only place I could land a gig. ;)
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
NCGS
Basic User

Post by NCGS »

celticus wrote:How do those foam grips affect the heat from the hand grips?
Mark
Mark, I can honestly say that although they do prevent some of the heat from reaching my hands, I rode all winter - sometimes in 20 degree temps - and the heated grips still kept my hands warm through the foam covers and through my Thinsulate gloves.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I found the foam grips just delayed the heat arrival.. it gets to my hands and is quite warm in the winter. One thing that helps - I use thin gauntlet gloves in winter (transfer the heat easily), and the GS handguards keep cold air off the back of my hands. My hands are nice and toasty in about 5 minutes with the foam grips and these gloves.