Dallas to San Antonio and back

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

mistercindy
Donating Member #: 0

Dallas to San Antonio and back

Post by mistercindy »

I had a continuing legal education seminar to attend last week in San Antonio. Six folks from my office attended. Two flew, two drove in cars straight down I35, and two (me and my boss) rode our bikes through the Texas Hills.

I live in McKinney and I met my boss at our office's parking lot in downtown Dallas at 6:30 a.m. He was on his Harley Deuce which he rides very well. We got on I35, took Hwy 67 southwest through Cleburne and Glen Rose, then Hwy 220 to Hico where we could catch 281 for the bulk of the trip. That first leg was about 120 miles from Dallas. Refueling and breakfast at the Kountry Kafe in Hico, then on to 281.

We took 281 south about 125 miles to Johnson City where we refueled. Hwy 281 is a good bike road and is worlds better than riding on I35. There is some beautiful scenery and stretches of perfect road that beg to be driven at 100 mph, although we kept it at a steady 80-ish for most of the trip. The weather was perfect except for a little mist about a half-hour before we hit Johnson City. I didn't mind it at all, but my boss had a half helmet and he said it beat the heck out of his face. C'est la vie!

Johnson City is a short 50 mile hop to our hotel in north San Antonio. We arrived at 12:30 just in time for the conference which started at 1:00.

We returned separately as I was visiting my brother in Austin. My brother lives in the west Austin hills so I rode up 281 and took Hwy 290 into Austin. That was a great ride through the hills! I left the next morning on Hwy 183 out of Austin. 183 goes north by northwest until it hits Lampasas where I again hit 281. That Hwy 183 is a great stretch of road!

My trip from Lampasas to McKinney was the same route as the trip south, except I refueled in the town of Hamilton. In Hamilton I noticed I had a message on my cell phone from one of the women in my office who was at the conference. She drove up 281 and her message was less than 30 minutes old so I returned the call and she was just 10 minutes south of Hamilton heading north. So I told her which gas station I was in and stretched my legs for a few minutes. She pulled into the gas station for a break of her own and we had a gatorade refreshment before heading on our way. We rode the rest of the way together: she in her car and me leading on the R1150R. Pretty neat! Except I had to really try not to leave her in my dust. Passing is a lot easier on the RR than in a Pontiac Grand Prix!

Anyway, she got off in Arlington and I wound my way back to McKinney. Good trip! A total of 733 miles.

Interestingly, it was the first big test of the new Touring Screen that I bought to replace my Sport Screen last month. The Touring Screen is, at least for me, without question a better long ride screen.
'05 R1200GS
Once owner of an '03 R1150R
Member #333 (cool number!)
TheRoss
Basic User

Post by TheRoss »

You're right about 281.
I live in San Antonio, but work in Round Rock. I ride to work every day up I-35 for speed. But when 5:30 comes along, I take 290 W to 281, and 281 S to SA. Those are very nice roads. I have many others you should ride if/when you're back down here.
Christopher Ross
2000 R1100RT
IBA Member
ladybeemer
Lifer

Post by ladybeemer »

Hey you guys,

I will be headed to Round Rock at the end of the month. I'll be leaving from Dallas on Sat and returning solo on Monday. On the ride down, a friend will be following in a car. Any recommendations for a day trip Sunday or pretty ride home Monday,will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Linda
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Hey Linda -
Good report, I've been that way many times.
Next time try Hwy 16...it more or less parallels 281 but is a little smoother, a little less traffic, a little more scenic, and little further...but not much.
Great side trips include Enchanted Rock and the Willow City Loop, both not far North of Fredricksburg.
Drop down SE of F'Burg to Luckenbach and get a lip-lock on a long-neck!
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
ladybeemer
Lifer

Post by ladybeemer »

Thanks dave,

I'll check it out. I have done the Luckenbach visit.......too much fun.

Linda