R1200R fit for taller riders.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

fixinbones
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

R1200R fit for taller riders.

Post by fixinbones »

Looking for opinions on the comfort of the R1200r for taller riders. Looking to replace the GS with the R as I dont do any offroad and the GS is just too top heavy. I also want the improved transmission/engine over my 2005 model GS. I would definitely get the high seat and likely get a corbin made 1"taller than standard as I am 6'3" with a 35 inseam. I would also probably get a peg lowering kit and bar risers. I havent been able to sit on the bike with the normal or high seat so i'm unsure if it will fit me well. Can any taller riders comment on the ergos and mods that youve done to make the bike fit better.
Jay
2010 S1000RR
2010 Multistrada 1200S
Kalle
Basic User

Re: R1200R fit for taller riders.

Post by Kalle »

hey

I will share my very limited experience. I testrode the R1200R with tall seat. Im 36-37 inseam but this was one of the very first bikes ive ridden that fit my legsperfectly. They snuggly gripped without touching the outer top ring of the tank (as i do on almost ALL bikes making them less steady than theyve could have been). That actually shocked me, having a bike leaving me not feeling like a misfit ;p

I have a '99 F650 now but i need to sit on the passanger seat to do the same there;p I think the slightly forward seating position on the r12r actually helps tuck those legs in.

cheers

g
DrD
Basic User

Post by DrD »

I'm a bit over 6' with a 34" inseam and 36" arms. I have a Rick Mayer seat made the same height as the tall seat. My legs are fine. I put the handlebar from a F800ST on the bike; it had to have a 1" riser under it so the grips would (almost) clear the tank. The stock handlebar puts the grips too close to me, so it felt like my arms were tucked back. They are now in a more natural position.
Peter
Paul-from-VA
Lifer

Post by Paul-from-VA »

I'm 6' even and have the same bar setup as Peter, I have the tall BMW seat. I have to say leg room is not as generous as the GS and I feel a bit cramped in that area at times and I could use a different seat, but the seat probably applies to any motorcycle I've ever owned other than our old Concours or the ST1100.
Paul