Trouble comes in 3's

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Trouble comes in 3's

Post by CycleRob »

These 3 events are preventing me from attending the Ozark Bash this Oct 12th.

1--My bike's apparent FD big bearing failure is making a rumbling noise on right turns and the wheel moves left/right with a low volume thunk about by about .050". It should not move at all !!! The rumbling is likely the gear teeth being pushed into tighter mesh than good bearings would allow. Only recently is the noise getting louder. That's not good for the gears surface hardened layer. This alone could take too long for me to fix to make the Ozark-2 Fall Bash, but there's more. My FD repair to be fully documented in a future post.

2--I'm recovering from a medium ankle sprain (still able to walk in mild pain without ever any need for crutches) on the same old ankle sprained severly when I was 26. About August 12th I had a walking speed lowside turning right into a gas station. The road out front is under construction awaiting it's second asphalt layer. I was distracted by collision courses with entering and leaving cars and did not notice the big 2"+ jump up to the cement apron. Naturally, I must have taken too shallow of an angular turn-in approach and the front wheel was kicked sideways out from under me. The bike went down on the right side scratching on the new cement apron the valve cover, City Lid, flyscreen, clutch Lever and broke the signal lite housing & lens. Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3
The ankle joint was over-ranged to a sprain in the walking speed lowside, but I was still able pick the bike up myself and walk on it with considerable pain and limited movement.
Now at least the valve cover is FIXED . Not wanting to spend big money for a cosmetically damaged valve cover replacement, I filed it down with a fine file until the scratches were gone. Almost 1/4th of the thickness was filed away in a nice long unperceptable arc. Sanded it smooth then painted both covers with 500 degree black engine enamel that I already had. The signal lens is hot glued back on until the replacement lens+housing comes in with the FD bearing & seal order to Chicago BMW. The scratched FlyScreen will be re-painted (someday), along with the now silver triangular signal stalk covers. I was quoted $140, then $100 after I protested, for painting ONLY the 3 little parts "carried in" at the first place I tried and it was just too steep.

3--I got a blood clot just above that same ankle a few weeks prior to spraining it. Most definitely brought on by the 2k+ miles of driving/riding to/on/from the PA bash this Spring. May have been caused by a wood projectile strike injury to my ankle from splitting firewood. I mistakenly thought it was from a brown recluse spider bite and put off the doctor visit. That was not smart . . . . I guess it's a guy thing. Doctor said, after lengthy discussion of how & why, considering my relatively healthy lifestyle, said "sometimes it just happens". Right now I'm wearing black pressure support hose on the whole right leg to keep the swelling down until the clot damage is dissolved by blood thinners. It looks normal color everywhere now after the swelling went all the way down. Too much sitting at this computer and our new 46" LCD (tax rebate) TV by an old man is not good!

What's next? Jury duty? :roll: I swear I can feel it coming. I pity the criminals I'll face if/when I do. :badgrin:

On the bright side, if you haven't heard it before :roll: I have an amazing wife !! :smt058 I would need at least 3 highly paid professional women to replace her. :shock: She is such a bright spot in my life that I cooked supper yesterday when she came home from her part time job tired and drained. I chose Potato pancakes (A.K.A. Potato Latkis) from scratch, right out of the Joy of Cooking hardcover book. They're traditionally a Yiddish/Polish ethnic food that takes 5x longer to make them with a hand grater and cook the 2 potato batter than to eat them. It was really good. She's happy, I'm happy. Even after all those big 3 troubles.

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Trouble comes in 3's

Post by mcooperstein »

CycleRob wrote: What's next? Jury duty? I swear I can feel it coming. I pity the criminals I'll face if/when I do.
Jury duty? You jinx! I opened up my mail tonight and I am supposed to report for jury duty the 12th! I cant get out of it this time as I've dodged this bullet three times previously using my nursing job as an excuse. Not working these days, so I'm 'had'! This on top of *my* motorcycle problems (which you already know about!). Sigh....life aint fair. Anyways, sorry about your woes. Had I known...I wouldnt have been bothereing you with my problems!

Mark
--------------------------------------------
member #3
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Hey Rob! Sorry to hear about all this. I noticed your web presence was more prominent on the forums of late, but I had no idea you were laid up.

Since you have a good nurse, I won't volunteer to come over and chop wood for you or anything. :mrgreen: But good luck on getting your FD and bearing from ChiBMW. Mine has been on order for 3 months. I really must call them.
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Sorry to hear about all these troubles. It is nice, though, to hear a guy compliment his wife.

Were you splitting wood the old fashioned way, or were you using a hydraulic splitter? I have already split about two cords of oak, and I have a lot more to go.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

rdsmith3,
Much like the cooking we do, I split wood the old fashioned way. All by hand. An 8 pound sledge hammer (3.63kg) with a steel splitting wedge for the 1st break, then an 8lb splitting maul with fiberglass handle for the remainder. I have at least 5 standing dead and dieing Oak trees to cut down plus about a cord of stacked 4' lengths to process. The trees were killed by lightening strikes at our 1170ft elevation (357M) and mostly by the 2 year drought where our rainfall currently is about -20% below norm. We were hoping that (weakened) Gustav would roll over us slowly with a soaking flood, but we got zero rain from it and are predicted to get the same from the next hurricane, 0. Lake Lanier across the street is 15.6 FEET (4.75M) below normal with rafts 50' out (15.2M) and floating docks that are sitting on dry clay.

Boxer,
Three MONTHS and still waiting for the FD bearing?? Ut-ohh! Good thing my bike still works enough for the 8 mile trips (12.9km) to town for errands. I just changed the (Mobil-1 GL-5) FD oil and it was nearly new clean with very little black fur on the magnetic drain plug. There was nothing obvious in the drain pan as I poured it into the waste oil jug, even though I now remember it was not closely examined.

BTW, conversions for our Metric friends easily done with this excellent program.

`09 F800ST

Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Rob and Phil,
You guys need to look around at some other parts suppliers. You may not get as deep a discount, but at least you would get the part. 3 months is ridiculous.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

It must be nice to have time on your hand to split wood. We had seven huge oaks taken down and even with a hydraulic splitter (and giving away a lot of wood) it is taking a while to get through it because of little free time. I will say that the hydraulic splitter was having trouble with some of the logs, so I am impressed that you are splitting oak by hand. My little Stihl chainsaw couldn't touch these logs.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Boxer wrote:But good luck on getting your FD and bearing from ChiBMW. Mine has been on order for 3 months. I really must call them.
I ordered my new grips and a few other typical parts from ChiBMW TWO MONTHS ago!!! I was patiently waiting while my right grip is well worn through. The online status showed 'parts on order' so I figured they had to order the grips from the homeland. I finally called them Tuesday and found out the order was 'forgotten' about and the parts never shipped out. He asked if I still wanted them (duh!) and that he would not charge shipping. I got the parts today, and now I need to get them installed. What a great project to keep me busy while the latest hurricane/tropical storm soaks my area tomorrow.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Rob and Phil--

Rob you told me of your final drive woes-----Phil..........didn't know you were experiencing the same. Geez----what is it with BMW these days? Seems like FD's and clutch splines are much of what we're hearing about lately. Maybe I should trade mine on a Honda or maybe a Ural?

The Honda would be pretty much problem free and the Ural? At least when it breaks it would not be unexpected.

Rob----awfully sorry about all your issues--ankle, bike and so on. Great that you have a wonderful lady to share all with. At least on the FD repair we will all benefit from your repair procedure--looking forward to seeing that. It seems many of us will have to use your instructions sooner or later!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Boxer
Lifer

Post by Boxer »

Phil..........didn't know you were experiencing the same.
Well, my symptoms started gradually some time ago but I haven't put that many miles on the Roadster since then...and most are straight up highway miles. I still don't have the play that Rob describes, but there is a different feel when I corner at slow speeds. At 75,000 miles mine is about over-due... But it shouldn't be! These things should last longer. Those German engineers need to head on over to Tokyo and see what the Japanese guys are doing.

I sat on a Gold Wing last week. Sweet!...and very comfy. :-k
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Boxer wrote:
I sat on a Gold Wing last week. Sweet!...and very comfy. :-k
It even has reverse.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Rob - sorry to hear about your problems. Missed your call Sunday, try the cell!

And while it is premature yet, my own bike is heading to the dealer this week. The problem that started at Hungry Mother appears to be the infamous Final Drive Failure. Movement and noise from the rear wheel and unfortunately, the drained FD oil looked like a new soup from Campbell's 'Chunky Metal'! :shock:

I will post more later. Unlike you, I cannot attempt the repair. In any event, I certainly would not wait 3 months for parts. 3 weeks without riding is killing me enough!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

CR sorry to hear about the bike..and the leg thing is not good either..You may even need blood thinning meds for life now..My friend just went through the same thing.

DJ
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Rob, wishes for a quick healing on your ankle. Thanks in advance for the bearing replacment procedure. Looks like it's nearly inevitable. What's a guy to do, change it as prevention at 40-50K?

By my count, that makes 4 lately. Phil, Vann, Rob, and Brad D.

BOOOO.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Final drive removal hints

Post by CycleRob »

My FD big bearing "failure" is evident by the minuscule wheel movement, additional noise on right turns and straight ahead at speed wandering sensation. When I took it apart and closely examined the balls, races and rollers :-k . . . . . they looked fine. [-( The big bearing showed no play with the gear oil still on it, but got loose and had movement after shots of carb clean took the oil away. [-X THAT means the bearing is worn out. Ball bearings should have ZERO freeplay.

BTW, that FD is SO EASY to take apart !! =D> (for inspection)

--Drain the FD oil (overnite is best and if so, it MUST be in a totally windless area)

--Remove rear wheel.

--Screw 2 opposing studs all the way in.

--loosen the 8 housing cap bolts 4 turns each. It's a rare 7mm Allen.

--Pull up and out on the studs while you thump the rear brake bosses with a RUBBER or plastic dead blow mallet. You may need to thump the studs upward if the brake boss thumps dingle the cover sideways. You'll see that in the uneven gap that opens between the steel and Aluminum parts.

--When the big O-ring's exposed, the heavy cover with the ring gear attached will pop off to the limits of the bolts.

--Remove the bolts

--Remove the (HEAVY!) FD assembly.

--Marvel at the German Engineering that looks better than it performs AFTER the warranty expires.

Last edited by CycleRob on Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
`09 F800ST

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Rob-

Thanks for the how-to info. Your fans on the board appreicate your technical wisdom & experience.

Could you include "final drive" in the thread's title to make later tech info searches easier? I'll peek at the final drive bearing (and upgrade if needed) over the winter at time of spline inspection.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Unlike Rob, my meager mechanical skills preclude me attempting the FD repair. But I got the call from the BMW shop today. Although not cheap, they only had to replace the crown bearing and the seal. All gears and other bearings are OK. Beats having to replace the entire FD!

I pick it up this week and back on the road this weekend! :smt041

I will inquire further when I pick it up but making two assumptions:

1 - the new crown bearing is an improved version of the one that died.

2 - the certified mechanics know how to properly shim the assembly back together!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295