Poll: Oh! The Humanity!

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Signal Paddles or Switches?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:19 am

It's about time
18%
My universe doesn't make sense any more
82%
Feh, why use signals at all?
No votes

Total votes: 11

jfslater98
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 535

Poll: Oh! The Humanity!

Post by jfslater98 »

Apparently, this is not a drill

They are switching to a new, er, switch. What say you? Me no likey.
Last edited by jfslater98 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Orange Rockster
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Re: Oh! The Humanity!

Post by DSKYZD »

Standardized controls are a good thing. I don't have a problem moving from my Beemer to the Morphous which has this type of signal switchgear. I do have a signal minder on my R so that I can cancel with same switch that started the blinking. I bet you hardly think about it when you jump on your KLR (my apologies if my memory or your bike ownership is incorrect).

One less thing for the bike rags to complain about in their articles, though I'm sure they'll have no trouble finding a replacement.

The big question is do they self cancel?
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Re: Oh! The Humanity!

Post by MikeCam »

Where is the windshield wiper versus light switch stalk lobby? This non-standardization of controls should have been stopped by government regulation long ago.

FTR, the Japanese approach is ridiculous - a single point of failure on a non-intuitive, multi-function switch, located in a dangerous place, with poor ergonomic analysis of the parts.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Re: Poll: Oh! The Humanity!

Post by R4R&R »

Coming from a few Japanese bikes to BMW, it took me some time to get used to. Mike pointed out that the Japanese verison has a single point of failure, bad location, etc. I think motorcycles (and most other vehicles in general) have many areas with single points of failure. Personally, I like being able to control the signals with one finger, from one location. I feel that multiple buttons, in multiple places complicates things, but hey, that's only my opinion. Would it deter my decision to buy a bike? Well, it didn't in the past. I'm very used to BMW's layout so it's not a problem for me, but if I had my preference, I'd take the single control.

But then you could just opt to not use them, like most people! Problem solved! :lol:
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX