Hand guard suggestions?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

nevada72
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Hand guard suggestions?

Post by nevada72 »

I want to give myself some extra hand protection on my 96 R1100R from the cold for an upcoming tour which will start in now chilly Wisconsin. I've heard the GS hand guards will fit, but that the throttlemeister (which I have) bar ends can be an issue. Any suggestions? Aftermarket vs OEM?

In addition to this, I'm trying to get my bike tour worthy for a segmented tour around North America. I plan on riding down to my father's in Arkansas next week. I'll leave the bike there and fly home. Later, around Thanksgiving, I'll fly back and ride the bike to Austin Texas. Hopefully I'll find long term parking there and do the fly and return thing again. I'll continue to do that all winter, every 3rd week, with stops in Mexico (somewhere around Puerto Vallarta), Arizona, and California. In the spring I'll ride north to Vancouver, and then back east through some undetermined route. Should be interesting.
hendrix89
Basic User

Re: Hand guard suggestions?

Post by hendrix89 »

Send me an e-mail when you re near to Austin Texas.....I live about 50 miles or so to Austin called Katy

William
tracye34
Basic User

Post by tracye34 »

Try these, I got mine from Mortons BMW in VA for about $35 last year. Easy install they seem to work ok. I can email pics of them on my 01 R when I get home if you are intersested.

http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?Page ... rodID=2734

Tracy
Tracy Mathews
2001 R1100R
1997 F650ST - first bike
SLEDGE
Basic User

Post by SLEDGE »

Got mine at Chichgo BMW, the ends are free standing,so no problems with bar ends.They had to order I think it took a week or two. Good luck.
R.D

"Don't take life too seriosly,because you'll neve get out of it alive anyway."
pinecone
Basic User

Post by pinecone »

the ends are free standing,so no problems with bar ends
Ditto - I have them on my '97. Can also post pics if needed.
"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle..."
nevada72
Basic User

Post by nevada72 »

hendrix89 wrote:Send me an e-mail when you re near to Austin Texas.....I live about 50 miles or so to Austin called Katy

William
I definitely will!
nevada72
Basic User

Post by nevada72 »

tracye34 wrote:Try these, I got mine from Mortons BMW in VA for about $35 last year. Easy install they seem to work ok. I can email pics of them on my 01 R when I get home if you are intersested.

http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?Page ... rodID=2734

Tracy
Those look perfect. Oddly enough, before reading this I ordered a set from Bob's. However, they recommended the GS guards at over $100. I question whether or not they will work and now I wonder why they didn't just recommend the ones you have which seem perfect and half the price! I had originally called the apparel orders phone number to order some Gerbings G3s ($10 cheaper than anyone else I saw). I asked the woman on the phone for technical support to answer the question about handguard fitting, but she said the "guys" said they would work. We'll see. If not, the ones you posted look like a great choice.
nevada72
Basic User

Post by nevada72 »

So I call Bobs up and explain my concern that they recommended the wrong handguard. The gal on the phone remembers my order (she took it) and tells me that in fact, they were sending me the ones recommended in this thread. Turns out they did get something wrong, but they fixed it right away. Nice work Bob! They showed up today and it took about 10 minutes to attach them. :smt023

I'm getting stoked for my trip. The UPS packages are arriving daily so I should be all set for the long ride to Arkansas. Some of the things I ordered were the handguards, Gerbings G3 heated gloves, 661 core saver vest, Gaerne boots, armored pants (Scorpion), big Fieldsheer strap on seat bag, and a Wind Jammer II helmet wrap (as recommended by Webbikeworld.com).
webmost
Basic User

Post by webmost »

So what's the red scooter in the background?
2003 R1200CLC "Annie"
1995 R1100R "Acela"
2006 Honda 919 "Busted"
nevada72
Basic User

Post by nevada72 »

webmost wrote:So what's the red scooter in the background?
That's my 300 Dream. I had it out all day today. It's a fun city bike well suited to coffee house runs.