What Kind Of Bar Backs Are You Using?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

What Kind Of Bar Backs Are You Using?

Post by celticus »

What kind of bar backs are you using?
Do the bar backs cause the bike to feel any slower in turning in the twisties?
I rode a little over 1200 miles to the Winter Rally in Fla. this weekend and at times felt like bar backs would have been nice. However my greatest joy is riding in the mountains. If bar backs are going to diminish the feel or ability to hustle around the curves I don't want them.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Re: What Kind Of Bar Backs Are You Using?

Post by xprof »

I put on Moto-Techniques bar-backs: 513-062M Handle Bar Riser R1150R & R1200R 1" Rise 1-1/4" Setback.
At only $49.95 and no problems with the cables, it is a cheap and easy way to see if you like/need bar backs. If you don't, you're only out $50, and if you love them you can either keep the Moto-Techniques (why not?) or spring for $250 Verholens.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
AmostThere
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by AmostThere »

I did spring for the Verholens. I liked the idea that they are TUV certified and they inspired confidence with their appearance. As for performance differences, I really don't feel there is any difference but I'm not Ricky Racer on the mountain curves. MUCH more comfortable for my back is the important thing. No mods to wiring/cables. I do want to try and rotate them back a tiny bit which may not be possible due to tight cables.
2008 R1200R Granite Gray
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

celticus wrote:What kind of bar backs are you using?
Do the bar backs cause the bike to feel any slower in turning in the twisties?
I rode a little over 1200 miles to the Winter Rally in Fla. this weekend and at times felt like bar backs would have been nice. However my greatest joy is riding in the mountains. If bar backs are going to diminish the feel or ability to hustle around the curves I don't want them.
Mark
Mark,
I have a set of MV Bar-backs on the way. They're 40mm straight back and should make my Corbin seat perfect. I also like throwing the bike into a turn and if they diminish my enjoyment of doing that they will be gone. I won't get them on till after Daytona so figure around mid March. They (bar-backs) always look funky to me - like they would screw up the front end geometry, but if you look at some of the stock risers that we're seeing on many new bikes many of them look like factory bar-backs. It would be interesting getting feedback on how they feel, but you would have to know how the person rides and (IMHO) the only way to do that is to ride with them.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

I don't find my bar-backs constrain my sports riding - though it must be said I rarely push super-hard. I have short arms, and the bend to the standard bars was uncomfortable for touring. I do think they improve my cornerning - I counter-steer heavily and having the 'bars in a sweet spot for my reach is more critcial to my style than is any forward lean.

I've been cornering the R12R harder of late - in faster, braking later and harder (just the front lever and let the system apportion it to the back), and even more conscious push-pull to counter-steer, with a bit of body english to help me (not the bike) flow through linked bends. Compared to my F650CS - which is more flickable and has more forward lean - I don't find the more upright posture an issue. This is consistent with Keith Code's "No B.S. Bike" - body steering has little or no impact on cornering: it's really all in the counter-steering http://www.superbikeschool.com/machiner ... achine.php Mind you, Mark, I'll bet I'm still waaay slwoer than you!

I have the MV Verholen, to get the bars further back than the Moto-techniques. To be honest, it was also because the MV Verholen are a much cleaner design for my then-brand-new bike. The Moto-techniques (which I ordered first and recieved while waiting for my ASC-equipped bike to be made and delivered) are nicely machined and finshed, but it's all engineering rather than design and just seemd too clunky for my shiny new bike. I still have the Moto-techniques at home somewhere, and one of theses days I'll try them ...
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

Thanks all. I like the MV Verholens but the Moto-Techniques look OK to me also and since I am currently unemployed I may just have take the less expensive way toward my goal.
Thanks for all the information.

Mark
Air can hurt you too
ScottSuff
Basic User

Post by ScottSuff »

I have the verholens and if you are up in the Knoxville area anytime, you can check it out on my bike.
Scott TN Hills

2008 R1200R Black
2006 Triumph Tiger
1999 BMW 650 Funduro
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

+1 on lack of problem cornering.

I'm probly slower than all who posted. And yet a couple of months ago, riding in some twisties I managed to drag a peg even though I have the Moto-techniques.

If I were running at 150 mph + on a track, then I'd surely need to tuck way forward and throw myself around into the turns... but I don't.

This old fahrt likes sitting upright in his Russell Day Long couch, elbows relaxed at 90 degrees, behind his Parabellum Scout tall fairing with black rubber edging. and very quietly and smoothly ride up the back fenders of the liter sport bikes! (In my fantasies!)

Seriously, I can't tell much difference, but then I'm not Keith Code. It's just that this bike, with it's low COG, is just so sweetly forgiving that it easily goes about as
fast as I ever want to under almost all circumstances, bar-backs or not.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

I may just have to come by and check yours out Scott.

Mark
Air can hurt you too
famousperson
Sextuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 599

Post by famousperson »

I have the Moto-Techniques and they are terrific for the kind of riding I do, which may be even more conservative than ShineySideUp's. I actually wouldn't mind a little more back and up, though. That alone might make the MV Verholens worth it (although I have not seen their specs).

I like the look of the M-Ts just fine. They seem to go with the way the whole bike is engineered.
'07 R1200R
Life Member #599
NAUI Inst. #1434 (since 1969)
AmostThere
Basic User

Barbacks & seat

Post by AmostThere »

My bike has a Bill Mayer seat which is higher than stock and the Verholen barbacks. I just rode the dealer LOANER R12R home since I'm getting my plugged back tire replaced (thanks for all the input on that) and a quick oil change. So, the loaner has the low seat and no bar backs and WOW, I instantly ride like more of a sport-o with lower cg and more glued to the bike feel and seemingly quicker steering inputs and no problem hanging on at full throttle due to stickier seat and HUGE difference. That being said, just a quick trip home and I felt the butt discomfort, the nuts smashed against the tank, the wrists/hands hurt a bit, the knees were already starting to protest, and the low back was tightening up. I said it before but now my conclusions are solidified, the sportiness is kinda fun but I require the 'comfort' to be able to ride for any kind of distance at all. Pic is from my normal 2x week mountain roads but inclement weather means I'm driving the car for a few days...
2008 R1200R Granite Gray
kay bill c
Basic User

Post by kay bill c »

moto-tecnics also best $50 I've spent.I agree with almostthere commets for sure. nice pic by the way.
TracyPrier
Basic User

Post by TracyPrier »

I'm just in the process of fabbing up a pair of 25mm alloy risers for th R850R

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YJ ... directlink

Will let you know what sort of difference they make once I fit them this weekend

cheers
Tracy
NeilS
Basic User

Post by NeilS »

I have the SW Motech. Nice finish, good ergos for me--I no longer get sore wrists after a couple of hours riding. I bought them from Twisted Throttle, which I believe is a first-rate vendor.

Two warnings:

1. With the barbacks installed, the brake line is just a bit too short with the bar at full right lock. I'm in the process of getting a longer replacement.

2. The new handlebar clamp bolts are unequal in length. When the idiot at the dealership doesn't notice this and gets them reversed, the short steel bolt in the long aluminum hole WILL strip the female threads.
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

mogu83 wrote:
celticus wrote:
Mark,
I have a set of MV Bar-backs on the way. They're 40mm straight back and should make my Corbin seat perfect. I also like throwing the bike into a turn and if they diminish my enjoyment of doing that they will be gone. I won't get them on till after Daytona so figure around mid March. They (bar-backs) always look funky to me - like they would screw up the front end geometry, but if you look at some of the stock risers that we're seeing on many new bikes many of them look like factory bar-backs. It would be interesting getting feedback on how they feel, but you would have to know how the person rides and (IMHO) the only way to do that is to ride with them.
Harry, Did you get your new bar backs on the bike? What kind did you buy?

Mark
Air can hurt you too
RonR

Post by RonR »

I am happy with the MT bar backs for all the reasons noted above and especially the low price. Don't feel like there is any change in the steering geometery or that I am any slower (or faster) in the twisties. Just more comfortable over the long hauls. The cable length can be an issue, though. I solved it by sliding the clutch and brake lever assemblies away from the grip/switch assemblies by about 3/4". The reach to the levers hasn't really changed and no replacement cables were needed.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

celticus wrote: Harry, Did you get your new bar backs on the bike? What kind did you buy?Mark
I bought the MV Verholens but they are still sitting in the tool box. The Corbin seat is still new so I want to get a 200/300 mile day on the seat before I change anything. Looks like the cold is gone and now the rainy season starts. Might be a while till I get a good run, I don't like to change a lot of things at once.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358