Diagram of Cable Ties?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Diagram of Cable Ties?

Post by gregor »

This has been extensively documented in this forum, and Cyclerob posted a diagram of exactly which ties to cut, which are on the right side of the bike near the horn. ...

I have searched - there are lots of references but how do I find the diagram? :oops:
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Phang
Lifer
Donating Member #: 707

Re: Diagram of Cable Ties?

Post by Phang »

This?

gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

Thanks- glad someone else is with it! :)
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
cswett
Basic User

Post by cswett »

I cut about every tie I could find in the front and replaced them with much looser zip ties. Was that a mistake?
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

cswett wrote:I cut about every tie I could find in the front and replaced them with much looser zip ties. Was that a mistake?

No, not a problem at all. The ones pointed out in the above diagram are the most important to loosen because they move (rub) with the movement of the handlebar.
KiwiRR
Basic User

Post by KiwiRR »

Only thing to watch out for if you cut the ties (and don't replace them - like me :) ) is that the cables don't catch on the horn cable.....I found out once the horn cables severed. Easy fix was to loosen and rotate the horn to avoid the clash.
-------------------
'02 R1150R, Wellington NZ
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

You don't just "loosen" them, you remove them! The 2 wire harnesses (2002 model L & R) are then free to hang and bend very slightly over a much larger cable length. Those zipties are not needed and any mechanic that examined them would know they will damage the wiring inside. There aren't any pinching parts to damage the now unrestrained harnesses as they both just "hang loose".

The original (public) pic link is here:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/ ... utTies.jpg
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Phang
Lifer
Donating Member #: 707

Post by Phang »

Oppss, the diagram which I posted belongs to iowabeakster.
mwelker
Basic User

Post by mwelker »

Is this about the Technical Service Bulletin about the instrument wiring harness being chafed or pinched? My dealer gave me a copy of the TSB one day when I was there for a new tire (I didn't have the bike with me). The service advisor said it was not covered under any warranty (my bike was out of factory warranty). The TSB provides an aftersales solution of installing an edge protector. Has anyone done this, or are you just cutting the cable ties and letting the wires hang loose, which is what it sounds like.
LONE R
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

It sounds like you can do that. I cut any that were snug and replaced them making sure there was plenty o slack. Some I did leave off completely.
Buckster '03R
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

I use 5/8 double sided Velcro tape. Much neater and better all round. No it doesn't melt.
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
yen_kofu
Basic User

Post by yen_kofu »

Does any one know what is the 「edge protector」?
Thanks
snowprick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 3953

Post by snowprick »

yen_kofu wrote:Does any one know what is the 「edge protector」?
Thanks
Its a plastic gizmo that fits round the edge of the hole. Yo can use a bit of 3/16 plastic tubing, just slit it down its length, cut to length and push it on to the edge of the hole. If it does not want to stay in place then fill it with silicone adhesive before you install.
Rod
2001 R1150R Black of course (sold)
2009 F800GS Black & yellow of course
Apple Macintosh
yen_kofu
Basic User

Post by yen_kofu »

understood !
hole or edge protector
many kind of it
thanks snowprick
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

The problem with those Zipties is that they tightly restrain both main wire harnesses and force them to repeatedly bend sharply in the same place at the Ziptie. If you still have those offending Zipties in place, just turn your steering lock-2-lock while observing how those 2 main harnesses bend. You'll see them folding/moving/bending in one location. That point source repetitive stress bending eventually breaks the cluster of wires inside. When that happens you loose very important functions. :shock:

The factory putting those Zipties there is a total mindfart. In August of 2001 I stumbled upon this huge mistake while doing something else, like waxing my new bike. I couldn't believe something like this was signed off and implemented. Seeing such incompetence made me wonder what other mistakes were made. :-k
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
kantuckid
Basic User

Post by kantuckid »

Also a good place to mention the cable ties on the bundles that lead to the grip area-they will KILL! your bike. I had the problem of them pinching the kill switch wire and have since learned that is fairly common. Same solution mentioned above...
kickingback77
Basic User

Post by kickingback77 »

I came across this forum when I was wondering which ties to cut on my bike. My question is what is the best type of replacement zip tie? Stainless steel zip ties so they don't melt, Velcro so you can adjust them but they might come undone, or just the basic zip ties with a 50 pound tensile strength. I was looking at this place to get them - http://www.buycableties.com which ones are best for this type of mod? :-k
kantuckid
Basic User

Post by kantuckid »

My comment wasn't about the material that the cable ties are made from!!! The issue is that they can cramp the wires leading to the grip area controls!!! I'm short armed & ride with bar riser/setbacks on my R1150R which compounds the issue. OTOH, I see nothing wrong with a cheapo black nylon cable tie but for some bikes a few need to be removed on each side if you have my situation. They are a bit tight OEM regardless of bar setup.
Ol' Jeffers

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

kickingback77 wrote:I came across this forum when I was wondering which ties to cut on my bike. My question is what is the best type of replacement zip tie? Stainless steel zip ties so they don't melt, Velcro so you can adjust them but they might come undone, or just the basic zip ties with a 50 pound tensile strength. I was looking at this place to get them - http://www.buycableties.com which ones are best for this type of mod? :-k
Thing is KB77 the ones that are important to cut are not going to be replaced.....end of dilemma, methinks. :-k
OJ........everybody's pal!!
ekyang
Basic User

Post by ekyang »

Very helpful - just trimmed off my zip ties with a Dremel cutting wheel. But I noticed that for some of the wiring harnesses the insulation for them have already cracked through. What are you all using to replace the broken wiring insulation?