east coast canada plan

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

julia rose
Basic User

east coast canada plan

Post by julia rose »

Hi: i am doing an internet search to find out about possibily exploring newfoundland this summer and was wondering if anyone has been over there and what the roads are like, suggested route, weather etc. . i also need to rent a bike since i dont have the time to ride across canada from the west coast to get there. seems like i cant even find a rental company on the internet. has anyone been over there?
J
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: east coast canada plan

Post by Boxer »

Post an "all-call" here:

http://www.bmwmoga.info/forum/

For Ken Dye. He and his missus just made that trip this past year on their GSs.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Julia,

I was there in 2006 and traveled from St. Johns to Stephenville, then up the western coast from Stephenville for about 100 miles or so. That area was my favorite. Newfoundland is a beautiful place.

I was never able to find a place that rented bikes when I was there in 2006, but maybe that has changed. The road conditions are good, but there just are not that many of them, from what I remember. You have the main road that runs from St. Johns to Stephenville with off shoots to the little fishing towns along the coast, but not a lot else. However, I did not go north from Gros Morne, so cannot speak of that area. And I did not take any roads to the south coast.

The people of Newfoundland are some of the friendliest people I've met in all my travels.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
dnat928
Donating Member #: 0

Post by dnat928 »

I can only surmise that the roads are in tune with motorcycle riding, so to speak. Not that I have been there, but some friends from the east coast made a cycle visit there and reported back...uummm, not a BMW affiliated group you see. Their brand of riding has them going in excess of 160mph, with one top ender going just south of 200mph. Since hearing about their ride, I could only assume that there are some wide-open spaces, without others on the roads. If you get there, please report back on the riding terrain and openness of the roads - if that is indeed the case.
Member #1058
BMW R1150R - 2002, Atlanta Blue
Porsche 928 - 1982 Weissach Edition, S/N 34