back ache and bar risers

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

R12RnHouston
Basic User
Donating Member #: 791

back ache and bar risers

Post by R12RnHouston »

Hello everyone!

OK, I’ve been on my R12R a few months and my lower/middle back and shoulders are killing me! :cry: I commute 40 miles RT every day and ride a bit on the weekends. I came from the F650GS upon which I sat straight up and this works best for me. I’ve searched threads discussing bar risers and think that might be the answer since I have to do something. Otherwise, I love this bike.

My questions for the group are:
1. Will I notice a change in control of the bike, i.e., will it feel very different?
2. Are they safe?
3. Do you have to guess how to angel the bars on the risers, or are there reference marks?
4. Are there any brands that just bolt right on with no modifications to control cables or fluid lines?
5. How do I pick the right distance “up” and” back”?

Would be grateful for any advice,
David
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Tom Barnhart
Basic User

Re: back ache and bar risers

Post by Tom Barnhart »

I have used the Bob's BMW Bar Bax on a number of bikes. I currently have them on my 2008 R1200R. They require no changes to the wiring, plumbing or cables. The raise the bars about 1" and set them back about 1". When you install them you need to position the bars in the most comfortable setting as well as rotating the controls. They have made the bike more comfortable to ride, the pain in the cervical area is gone, and since I sit up just a bit straighter, it changes the wind stream over the windshield.
There are a number of companies making risers, look at their ads and tailor your needs to their specs. The Bob's product is in the $75 range, putting them just about the middle of the price range for similar products.
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

SW MoTech bar-backs bolt right on, are safe, don't change the handling (except as sitting up straight changes the handling), and don't require longer cables. Mine were around $50. They really relieved soreness in my shoulders.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Northernbiker
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Northernbiker »

David, I was having the same problems you are experiencing when I first got my bike. I had come from a F650CS where I had not had these problems. After discussing risers with my dealer, he said his first choice was to go with different handlebars. He ordered and installed the Superbike high bars from Speigler. http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/handlebars.cfm

These were a big help. They allieviated the shoulder and arm pain and helped with the back as well. Still some improvement needed so I am going to order some risers from SW-Mototech as they look like the best choice for me. Let us know how you make out.

Chris
2008 R1200R Crystal Gray Metallic

'Ride it like you stole it!'
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

Tom Barnhart wrote:I have used the Bob's BMW Bar Bax on a number of bikes. the $75 range
Hi Tom.... I like the $75 price range. I went to bobsbmw. I think that was the right web sight. I did find a product 'Bar Bax' but I couldn't find one for an R. Please ... note a part number or some way I can find this part. I'm thinking of getting risers and BMW offers a set with a 25mm rise up but not back for $85. Up only may be good for me. The bike's geometry seems to be good but on rides of perhaps an hour my lower back begins to get tight. I move around a little and that helps but that is no solution.
Hi Chris...Also I looked at the 'street bars high' at the web sight spieglerusa and that seems like a good idea. How involved is changing the controls over? Probably wouldn't take to long. Also, how does hieght and width on the stock bars compair to the bars at spiegler?
whew..... 8) all these words
Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
Ashveratu
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Ashveratu »

xprof wrote:SW MoTech bar-backs bolt right on, are safe, don't change the handling (except as sitting up straight changes the handling), and don't require longer cables. Mine were around $50. They really relieved soreness in my shoulders.
I have the SW MoTech's as well. The best 50 bucks I have spent so far. No change in handling. Installing them is a no brainer as long as you know how to use a wrench. They are only as safe as the person riding the bike.
09 Alpine White R1200R: Touring windshield, BMW panniers, Sargent Low seat, Throttlemeister.
Matt G.
danstl
Double Lifer

Post by danstl »

I've had bar backs on a couple of RR's over the years, and they are good. I currently have a Wunderlich Touring Wellness bar on my R1200R. The bar is a bit wider than a standard bar and moves you hands back about the same as bar backs. The positives - that it does not interfer with a tank bag like bar backs can and has less effect on handling characteristics. The negatives are that they require a bit more rerouting than the bar backs and a longer brake line which is included with the product. I also had the bars on a prvevious R1150R. If you can find someone with them on their bike, sit on it and see how it feels.
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Post by R12RnHouston »

Can you guys give me the specifics on the SW Motech bar risers… part number, where you purchased them, etc?

Thanks!

David
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Tom Barnhart
Basic User

Post by Tom Barnhart »

Bob's Bar Bax: I do not have the specific model number. The set I have was originaly on my K-75, then an R-100, then on a 2003 R1150R, and now on my 2008 R1200r. Give the parts guy at Bob's a call and tell him you want a set that fits the diameter of the 1150 or 1200 bars. You may need a different length pair of bolts for one of the mounting holes. The other mount hole uses the factory bolt.
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

David, I'm sure I got 'em from TwistedThrottle.com, but their website isn't cooperating (it also doesn't currently show me the crash bars that I know they offer). I suggest that you phone them and ask about the bar-backs for R1200R that are 1" up and 1 5/8" back. OTOH, Chicago BMW could probably order them for you AND give you their famous 20% discount.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
sandycruz
Basic User

Post by sandycruz »

Chris, Did the Spiegler bars require any changes in wiring or brake/clutch hoses? They look like the cleanest solution to the "short guy need some extra reach" problem. Which of the bar materials/color did you get?
Thanks in advance,
David
David Giannini
Santa Cruz, CA
'07 R1200R Black
'99 R1100SA Black
'93 900SS Red -Sold-
xprof
Lifer

Post by xprof »

OK, I finally found it, at www.moto-techniques.com :

513-062M (Modified) -Handle Bar Risers w/ Setback - R1150R & R1200R 1" Rise and 1-1/4"Setback

Qty: Price: $49.95

These are by far the cheapest solution to the problem. Not to say that the handlebar swap-out wouldn't maybe be better...
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Northernbiker
Basic User

Post by Northernbiker »

Hello again guys,

With regards to your questions about the Speigler bars - the dealer recommended the Super Bike High bars (Aluminum, color silver) and they were about $79. I had the dealer install them as I wasn't comfortable doing it myself. I forget what he charged to do it but the cost was minimal. Sorry but I forget what the height difference is compared to stock but the width is virtually the same.

There was no need to change the brake or clutch cables or any of the wiring. He knew from previous experience this would be the case which is why he recommended them. The bars don't have threaded ends so your stock end caps will not work. Dealer got the Flat Cap end caps from Speigler in black and they look just fine. Hope this helps. Happy riding!

Chris
2008 R1200R Crystal Gray Metallic

'Ride it like you stole it!'
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Post by R12RnHouston »

OK, xprof, I have a set of 513-062M bar backs on order. I'll let you know how it goes!
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
takemeaway
Lifer
Donating Member #: 765

Post by takemeaway »

Ok. I know you already have the specs and risers on order. Just wanted to let you know that I had the MV risers installed because I didn't enjoy the lean onto the stock handlebars. Mine did not require any change in cabling, just a slight rotation of the bars to keep the cables from binding. That said, I also was concerned about there being a different feel to the bike as well and expected it to take awhile to become accustomed to them. Got on the bike and TOOK OFF! The feel of the bike was perfect and it all clicked! Left my husband in the dust and took a tough [for me] corner with no problems. Husband commented on who had stolen his wife. Hope yours work as well for you.
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Post by R12RnHouston »

Hello every one! OK, I just installed Moto-techniques 513-062M (1” rise/1 & 1/4” setback) bar risers this afternoon. About 20 minutes start to finish and no cable problems as promised. I had put a protractor on the brake fluid cap so I could get the same handlebar angle I had before; they feel right.

I just took it on a 30 minute run and tried to find a few curves. It does not handle or feel any different than before to me so that’s good. I should know by the end of the week after commuting back and forth to work if my shoulder and back pain subsides. I’ll let you know. I helped my sister plant a tree this morning so my back is already hurting!

David
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
peckhammer
Basic User

Post by peckhammer »

R12RnHouston wrote:Hello every one! OK, I just installed Moto-techniques 513-062M (1” rise/1 & 1/4” setback) bar risers this afternoon.
I installed a set of those a couple months ago. Like you, I found no change in handling. I do wish that I could get a slightly longer line for the brake. I have the bars rotated slightly forward to relieve tension on that line. All in all, this was the best $50 I've spent. I also noticed that I get less buffeting from the windshield now.

Anyone know if there is a slightly longer line available?

>--
Peckhammer
http://peckhammer.blip.tv
2007 BMW R 1200 R
2002 GasGas TXT280
1983 Peugeot 103 SP
NeilS
Basic User

Post by NeilS »

Yes. I installed the SW Motech bar risers and, like you, thought the brake line was just a little too short. I got a replacement from Spiegler. All I said was "BMW R1200R, 1 1/2" longer than stock." They knew all the details. Around $60.
R12RnHouston
Basic User

Post by R12RnHouston »

I have the bars rotated slightly forward to relieve tension on that line.
I checked mine yesterday afternoon and I see what you mean. I've rotated them forward slightly as well and even when the bars are full left and locked the tension seems to be off. [-o< Keeping my fingers crossed that I feel a big difference in my lower back and shoulders this week! [-o<

David
07' R1200R Kristall Grau
ex 2007 F650GS
Dan-A
Donating Member #: 613

Post by Dan-A »

Anyone got any pics?
Dan-A
BMW MOA # 137114
BLOG: http://danzgarage.net