New 2002 R1150R........Wondering what I've done

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Ksbeemer
Basic User

New 2002 R1150R........Wondering what I've done

Post by Ksbeemer »

Hello,

I will soon have a red 2002 R1150R with 31,000 miles on it delivered. I live in Kansas and the bike is coming from Oregon. I was really excited about the choice of this bike. I did a lot of research and could find practically no reasons not to get one of these bikes. I love the looks and all the reveiws raved and raved about it handling and do everything abilities. Everyone who knows anything about motorcycles, knows BMW's reputation for reliability. So,even though I have never owned a BMW before, that angle did not even concern me.

Now having browsed through this forum, I am wondering if I am going to need a PhD in Beemer school just to be able to keep the thing running. I am a biker dude from 35 years ago when I rode Jap stuff on the street and later raced Bultacos on the dirt and asphalt. One could not help but notice the drastic difference between the Jap and European handling. With the Bultaco, I could go sideways over all kinds of ruts and crud and hardly even notice. On a Suzuki, I had to fight just to keep from running of the track or falling off. The Metralla I raced, would out do the competitioin, so bad in the corners, they couldn't catch you on the straights.

I also remember the rigorous maintenance I had to keep up with on the Bultaco and a number of times, it still fried rings, or siezed. I remember too the almost cult like following of the Bultacos. Those that owned them, tended to overlook the quirks and cost, because when it ran like it should, nothing else could compare.

Right now, I have the first bike I have had in a long time. I got caught up in the Harley craze and I have 2005 FXDLI. I had a lot of engine work done and it is very fast. It is also very loud and very heavy and handles like a....well like a Harley ( I was going to say, PIG). But it has not had one single mechanical problem in 16,000 miles. Maybe I am just getting too old, but I kind of like it that most of today's motorcycles and cars are low maintenance. There was a time when I didn't mind....even enjoyed working on my bike. But I am not so sure, today.

So, hey... I really can appreciate the European flare for fine handling. But if this forum is any indication of the true nature of the BMW marquee, I have to admit, I probably would have pickled another bike.

Someone out there please tell me I did not make a big mistake......Please.....Okay, Okay, sorry for the rant. I got my 2 cents worth out of my system and I know I will just love this Beemer, right?
Ksbeemer

The older I get, the faster I used to be.
AndyRR
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: New 2002 R1150R........Wondering what I've done

Post by AndyRR »

Welcome!!
You'll love your bike.
Problems tend to get amplified somewhat in a forum like this. Basic maintenance is very easy to do yourself. We love our bikes so much that we tend to obsess about them somewhat and have long discussions about arcane details. You will find that people are very friendly and helpful in this forum.
Since owning this bike, I've hated every other bike I've ridden since.
Ksbeemer
Basic User

Post by Ksbeemer »

AndyRR,

Thanks for providing positive feed back. I know I should not worry about it and all of the road tests I've read have been very enthusiastic about the R1150R. I think mine is the early single plug head, but it has the ABS brakes, heated grips, touring windscreen and full BMW luggage. The Harley is fun, but too heavy and awkward, except for cruising. I'd really have to take in the shorts, if I traded it in. So, I will keep it at least for while. Again, thanks for the encouragement and I really do look forward to getting the Beemer.

Regards,

John
Ksbeemer

garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Yours is a very familiar (though unfinished) story to many of us. Chapter 1 Hiatus, 2 Research, 3 Decision, 4 Purchase, 5 Further research, 6 Apprehension. Chapter 7 (the happy ending) Delight!
Do us all (and others in the future) a favor by returning to this thread in a months time and telling us how it went.
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
harveyrawn
Basic User

Post by harveyrawn »

Ksbeemer wrote:Hello,

I will soon have a red 2002 R1150R with 31,000 miles on it delivered. I live in Kansas and the bike is coming from Oregon. I was really excited about the choice of this bike. I did a lot of research and could find practically no reasons not to get one of these bikes. I love the looks and all the reveiws raved and raved about it handling and do everything abilities. Everyone who knows anything about motorcycles, knows BMW's reputation for reliability. So,even though I have never owned a BMW before, that angle did not even concern me.

Someone out there please tell me I did not make a big mistake......Please.....Okay, Okay, sorry for the rant. I got my 2 cents worth out of my system and I know I will just love this Beemer, right?
OK I'll tell you. You did not make a big mistake. Our purchases were very similar. I bought a black ABS-equipped 2002 with 35,000 miles in September 2008. My prior bike was a 1986 R80 that I rode for about 20 years and loved dearly. Since my purchase, I have come to feel the same way about the 1150R which seems like a more powerful big brother to my old airhead. Like the R80, I'm doing all my own service and recently completed a major service on the 1150. There is a bit of a learning curve about the servicing, but this forum is an outstanding resource for getting up to speed or just answering an off-the-wall question.

I've had no mechanical problems with the bike, and don't expect any. Like the airhead, I feel that I can hop on and ride it across several states at any time.
Harvey
Recharged on an '02
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Welcome. It is a nice ride. You can maintain it 95% yourself. You can repair 50-80% yourself.

1-3-5% problems do occur. But not to me or anyone I know (well, one I know and one I sorta heard about).
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
WorkinMan
Lifer

Post by WorkinMan »

John, Your story sounds SO familiar! I purchased a 2004 R1150R back in July of 09 with just 3400 miles on it. Soon after purchasing it, I found this forum and I felt the same way you do now. When I was looking to purchase, I narrowed my search down to the Beemer or a VFR. After finding this forum, I felt like I had made the wrong decision with my purchase. Since owning the BMW for a few months, I LOVE this thing! It doesn't do ANYTHING perfectly, but it seems to do all things quite well, thank you. You will want to read up on how to adjust your own valves, rocker arm end play, fluid changes, etc. so that your local dealer doesn't get ALL your money, but I've found most of the maintenance on this bike to be fairly straightforward.
I also own a Harley. It's a 91 Electra Glide Classic (FLHTC) that I just rebuilt the engine on, and it's a nice bike for it's intended use. Stray far from that use and things get uncomfortable in a hurry. Every time I ride the Harley now, I think to myself, "Why in Gods name would anybody buy one of these when they can have a BMW"?
Enjoy your new bike and quit worrying about it. Chances are you'll have few problems.
snelson200
Basic User

Post by snelson200 »

tt
Last edited by snelson200 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ksbeemer
Basic User

Post by Ksbeemer »

Thank you guys very much. I guess I was just doing what I do sometimes and thats worry just to have something to do. #-o The bike I am getting is coming from BMW Motorcycles of Western Oregon. They have really worked with me on all aspects of the sale. I think I got a pretty good price and they are working with me on shipping it here to Kansas, too.

I may not get to take that first ride right away because we are just now getting rid of the 10" of snow that fell here just before Christmas. Soon though, I will be a real live Beemer dude.

Thanks again. :biggrin:

John
Ksbeemer

Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

I'll chime in here. I'm a woman. Never worked on cars in my life. Not "mechanically inclined" really. Not a total clutz either. I bought an r1150R Rockster in '04 and have done all the maintenance myself, after the 600 mile service. Oil changes, valve adjustments, etc. Had help with the more complex stuff - brake fluid change.

The BMW community is great offering help - with pictures - whenever asked. See if there's a local BMW club that by chance does "Tech Days" - someone opens their garage and those interested can do/learn all the basic stuff with help/guidance from those who have done it. That's how I learned to do it myself.

P
Ksbeemer
Basic User

Post by Ksbeemer »

Lion Lady,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I sure am learning fast that this BMW community is a really good one. If all goes well, it ought to be here in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

John
Ksbeemer

Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

Ksbeemer wrote:Lion Lady,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I sure am learning fast that this BMW community is a really good one. If all goes well, it ought to be here in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

John
John,

Where are you located in KS ? I was in Wichita (used to live there) a couple months ago but had no time for motorcycling. I think there used to be a BMW dealer there, but it seems to me that it was a multi-brand dealer and was forced out by BMW NA. When I was there in 2002 they were still in the old Nickols Honda facility and I think they had BMW then. That dealership is now out on West st. and does not sell BMW.

The nice thing about the RR is that you don't need the dealership very much. My purchases of BMW parts are usually from Chicago BMW. You can buy nearly anything online and do the maintenance yourself.

Welcome to the group !
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
Ksbeemer
Basic User

Post by Ksbeemer »

Hello Airman,

I live in Topeka. The only dealer I have found so far is Engle Motors in KC. I visited the place and they are a small shop, but the salesman was very well informed and a long time biker, really nice guy. One thing I've found looking on the internet is that BMW stuff makes a lot of the Harley stuff seem inexpesive. HD stand for hundred dollars and that id as cheap as the Harley stuff gets. Seems like BMW stuff is even more expensive.

I did find an OEM owners manual online at the Chicago store. They are about the only one that had one for the single plug models.

Thanks for the input. Go Jayhawks!!!!

Regards,

John
Ksbeemer

iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

You picked out a fine bike. Like Mikecam said above, there are a small number of people that have had problems, but you will find that on any model of any brand.

Nobody has mentioned the ABS yet, so I will open that can of worms. I have it and I like it. Some people do not like it. It is different, but after a while, you will adapt to it and ride it no different than any other bike. Be careful, when first riding it, some people find them very touchy, especially the front lever (which operates both front and rear brakes). Get used to using the rear (which only operates the rear brake) at slow speed.

It is a time consuming job to change the brake fluid, much more so than a traditional brake fluid flush. With your experiences, I would say that it is certainly within your ability. You might want to save yourself the aggravation and have a dealer do it. A good number of people gasp at the price of the dealer brake service, that depends on your finances.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Welcome to the fold!!

You will greatly enjoy the bike and this board is a wealth of knowledge and experience so be sure to avail yourself of it.

I have owned an 03 and now an 04 and really love the bike. Service is not difficult nor expensive if you have a few hand tools and are not afraid of doing a bit of "wrenching" yourself. There are a few quirks about the machine but any quality machine has those. The bikes are not perfect but nothing worth owning is.

And if in the future you see any posts concerning checking the antifreeze in the coolant system be sure to pay close attention to those words of wisdom. I'm told they come from a very reputable source!

Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Ksbeemer
Basic User

Post by Ksbeemer »

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for the advice.

I'll bet that the best place to keep the antifreeze is on the same shelf with he AC batteries and the metric screw driver, right? :D

By the way, I grew up in Arlington, VA. Worked at Cycles Inc back in the 1970s. Bought my Suzuki at a shop in Alexandria in 1968 and raced the Metralla at Danville. I like it here in Kansas just fine, but sometimes miss the more moderate weather.

John
Ksbeemer

WorkinMan
Lifer

Post by WorkinMan »

Huh... We used to buy stuff from Cycles Inc. back in the 70's. I used to live in Baileys Cross Roads, then Sterling, then Manassas, and I finally moved to NC. When you mentioned Cycles Inc., it sure brought back some memories. We bought a brand new 1972 Yamaha 100 Enduro from there. It had a dent in the gas tank from shipping, so we got it for $300. Try that now.
Chris
Ksbeemer
Basic User

Post by Ksbeemer »

Chris,

That's cool. I worked at Cycles, Inc. for about four years, 1970 to late 1974. Dillard Coleman owned the place. I understand he's retired and his daughter now runs a powersports there. That was a pretty neat place, took up the entire city block across from the Hect Company. And, Yeah........I remember when you could buy a new CB750 for about $1000.00.

Born in Kansas. Dad worked in DC. I moved back just before he retired when I figured out I wasn't going to be another Gary Nixon, Mann, or Romero and went back to school here at KU. I was a freshman at 27 years of age. Retired engineer, now and getting back into bikes, at least to a certain extent. Just hearing someone else remember Cycles, Inc jars nostalga in me. =D>

I really look forward to getting the R1150R. I think it's gonna be fun!

Regards,

John
Ksbeemer

WorkinMan
Lifer

Post by WorkinMan »

John, The new place would be Coleman Powersports. (Well, new since about 1986 or so) I've bought a couple of bikes from them, also. As well as a jet ski years ago. From what I've heard in the past several years, they lost some of their biggest franchises somehow, I think it was Honda and Kawasaki, so they're not quite the mega dealer they used to be. I used to work for Heyser Cycles in Laurel, MD, a place called Honda House in Finksburg, MD, and Manassas Honda. Ah, the memories...
Now I'm just an old fart on a BMW. Soon you will be too. Enjoy it.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Welcome.... I also have the single spark and am glad I do due to the problems with stick coils on the twin spark. I love the bike and have had it for four years this April. I do most maintenence myself now due to the site right here. I am a life member and have found this to be a great value due to the amount of info and helpful members we have here. Best money I've spent on my bike ownership!
Congrats on the new ride!
Buckster '03R