Considering a 2002 R 1150 R......

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Royal Tiger
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Considering a 2002 R 1150 R......

Post by Royal Tiger »

....things to be wary of or check for?

I was referred over here from BMW Sport Touring forum which I got from SBN. Yes a long and winding road in my quest for knowledge about this bike. I have a heavily modified 2003 aprilia RSV 1000R which is basically a race bike with a plate. I also have a 1993 Kawasaki KLX650C plated dual sport redone in the Monster Energy scheme. A friend has this BMW he is looking to get rid of, so no stealership to worry about, but he is the second owner with no records from the 1st. Has 12k on it, black, heated grips, no abs, and needs tires. Looks very clean and I rode it a few times and seems nice. I'm looking for something better suited for back and forth to work then the RSV and would give me some light touring opportunities. The shaft drive is a bonus over what I was considering before, the Futura. I never owned a shaftie before, but people tell me I'll love it compared to a chain.

The one thing I was concerned with from the other forum was they warned me about 2002 R bikes have a catastrophic transmission output shaft spline issue that costs almost what I'm looking to pay for this to fix/replace. Any info/tips/thoughts welcomed.
Dan

2003 aprilia RSV 1000R
1993 Kawasaki KLX650C
owldaddy
Lifer

Re: Considering a 2002 R 1150 R......

Post by owldaddy »

The one thing I was concerned with from the other forum was they warned me about 2002 R bikes have a catastrophic transmission output shaft spline issue that costs almost what I'm looking to pay for this to fix/replace. Any info/tips/thoughts welcomed.
While this issue has been reported, and all would agree that it is not acceptable for this to happen, it is a very rare failure. I believe the number of machines affected is less then 1%. You take your chances with any used motorcycle, I think the rate of failure is so low I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker in this case. This is the most reliable motorcycle I have owned. I would worry about the QD's and wire tie issue more then the splines. They have a much larger chance of failure, but they are easy to fix in most cases.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Royal Tiger
Basic User

Post by Royal Tiger »

owldaddy wrote:
While this issue has been reported, and all would agree that it is not acceptable for this to happen, it is a very rare failure. I believe the number of machines affected is less then 1%. You take your chances with any used motorcycle, I think the rate of failure is so low I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker in this case. This is the most reliable motorcycle I have owned. I would worry about the QD's and wire tie issue more then the splines. They have a much larger chance of failure, but they are easy to fix in most cases.
I heard about the zip ties. What's the QD?

Also what is a fair price to offer?
Dan

2003 aprilia RSV 1000R
1993 Kawasaki KLX650C
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

"QD's" refer to the OEM plastic, fuel line Quick Disconnects located under the bottom, right side of the gas tank that facilitate tank removal during such things as battery and air and fuel filter replacements. They have been known to fail without warning causing leaking gasoline to discolor the silver engine paint with a permanent yellow stain. Connected to these are rubber fuel hoses using Oeticker (crimp-style) clamps that have been reported to be loose, or loosened over time, that also have caused some fuel leaks. Both items are easily remedied by replacing them with new Quick Disconnects, preferably metal ones, and new rubber hoses (specially-designed for fuel-injected systems) and fuel-injection style clamps (the kind that have a bolt threaded into a captured nut).

Failed transmission input splines have been reported rarely, as mentioned, and many think are caused by a misalignment of the transmission and engine housings during manufacture. There has been an attempt to identify the VIN's affected, but I don't think there has been conclusive evidence pointing to any particularly manufacturing runs as yet, since they are so rare, there just isn't enough data... They have been reported to fail anywhere between 15000 to 40,000 miles, and seem to reoccur at similar intervals after replacement...

Otherwise, Final Drive failures (rear ends) have been given a lot of attention on some motorcycling boards, but again, this amounts to less than 4% of the RR BMW's. Related to this is failed pivot-bearings that may be due to poor maintenance procedures (not keeping them properly torqued).

A fair price would depend on what accessories are included with the bike, as they can be quite expensive options. For instance a set of luggage carriers with a rear rack and system cases cost ~$1000 new, and for touring, are a real asset.

I have a 2002 with 35000 miles with some of these accessories that I would guesstimate is worth ~$6000, but I am very attached to it and someone buying it would probably think it's not worth that much - until they rode it! :D Anyway, I'm not selling it - ever!
Rich
ADIOS!
BMWEW1
Basic User

Post by BMWEW1 »

You can always take it to a local BMW shop and get it looked over, assuming you have one not too far away. But if the price is right I say buy it, you will LOVE it. And yes, do the QDs else you may have them break on a trip like I did and find yourself at NAPA buying fuel line and couplers to rig it and get home.
'03 R1150R, '05 Ural Patrol, '05 KLR650....Wash, DC
Daryl.Stamp
Basic User

Post by Daryl.Stamp »

If Lehigh Valley is near the Cabellas on the Northeast Extension then take it over to Hermy's BMW. Really good folks.

I've put over 36,000 miles on mine since August of '06 and I live in NY, where there's lots of snow. Everybody I've met that used to have an 1150R says they regret getting rid of it. They're not perfect, not bullet proof, not likely to go a million miles but I think most people here would say 'get it'. (Except the guy from Ohio w/ the cool green rockster that lost his splines w/ about 15K on the bike).

DLS
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Dan - It's worth a punt, so go ahead and take a chance that it's one of the many thousands of bikes that have NO input shaft problems.

Mine's a non-ABS 2001 model, sold in 2002, and purchased by me in 2004 with very low miles. Mine was stripped down (for other reasons) at 100,000 kilometres. Splines were good, and left alone. I'm now at 138,000 kilometres, and the bike is ticking along like Swiss watch.

I strongly object to your surmising that it might be ok for some LIGHT touring! :shock:

I've taken mine on some pretty big trips, and into desert country where the heat melts the tarmac, and into torrential rain and flooded roads, all with the bike loaded to the hilt and running day after day. Many times! It is a fine tourer. I am now into Iron Butt rides and the bike is doing many very long hours, day and night. Wearing good gear makes up for the lack of weather protection that bikes with fairings provide, but I enjoy the additional sensory enlightement that goes with 'naked' bikes.

Have fun. They are a good machine, and I am having a lot of trouble replacing mine 'cause the newer stuff isn't $20,000 better!
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
Royal Tiger
Basic User

Post by Royal Tiger »

Thanks everyone.

Hermy's is about 30 minutes away by car, or 13 minutes on the RSV-R. I'm guessing 20 on the BMW? :)

I'm going to talk to him next week about it. It would be nice to have something for the back and forth to work runs. That is not the RSV-R's forte. She likes to run fast and hard all the time. Temps really shoot up in the city with all the stop and go.

Is there a way to check the shaft oil, or just plan on changing all fluids regardless? I'm leaning towards the later. It really needs a front tire, and the back is fair at best. I was thinking Metzler M1 and do them as a set. I looked at the Z6, but heard they weren't all that great and the M1 lasts just as long and handles better.
Dan

2003 aprilia RSV 1000R
1993 Kawasaki KLX650C
MIXR
Basic User

Post by MIXR »

Dan - Oil is cheap. If in doubt about it's history, then change it. Then you can relax a bit.

As for tyres - I'm on Pilot Road 2's at the moment, and like them. Rain, shine, slab or twisties. They seem to work well and are wearing well. My favourites (for a few sets) were the now dead Avon Azarro. Then the Pirelli Diablo Strada. But I'll go the PR2's again I think. My tyres get a hard life here, and you should not make them a big part of your deliberations about the purchase. They are a consumable item. They are also your one and only link between the bike and the road. Get new ones. Cheap insurance.

Only other thing (among a few) that I would look at is the cam chain tensioner (which is not really a tensioner). Old ones have a 17 mm head. Newer ones (same as R1200 engines) have a 15 mm head. Lots written about them as well in this forum. You won't bust an engine with the old one, but you might quieten down (rattles) a noisy engine with the new type.

Tyres, oils and God will generate a lot of debate here. Don't ask! :lol:

Cheers.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
Royal Tiger
Basic User

Post by Royal Tiger »

MIXR wrote:Tyres, oils and God will generate a lot of debate here. Don't ask! :lol:

Cheers.
I realize that as a prime time regular over on SBN. :)

I should have thrown out the caveat that I refuse to use anything french, so Michelins are out. Especially on a GERMAN bike! :D

I run Pirellis on my Italian mistress, and am looking at the Metzler(owned by Pirelli) Enduro 3 Sahara for the next set of shoes on the KLX. With wanting to go Metzler for Roadster, it left me M3, M1, or Z6. I asked at Cycle Gear and they weren't fans of the Z6 and didn't even stock it. The M1 is OEM on a few BMW's and cheaper then the newer M3 so it looked to be a good fit. I was also considering Pirelli Diablo Strada, or Diablo Rosso, although the Rosso is a dedicated sport tire.

Yes, the topic of tires can go on forever......:lol:
Dan

2003 aprilia RSV 1000R
1993 Kawasaki KLX650C
awagnon
Lifer

Post by awagnon »

Royal Tiger wrote:Temps really shoot up in the city with all the stop and go.
Hey, Dan.

I talked with you over on the BMW ST forum. I had forgotten about the QD's. One of mine broke off, but fortunately I was nearly home.

You mentioned riding in high temps. Some others may disagree, but R1150R's can over heat if they sit running without moving. I commuted on mine nearly every day and occasionally I would pull over on the shoulder and shut it down if traffic wasn't moving after a long time ( depending on the temperature of the day ). This is probably more of a factor on an RT with the fairing over the engine. Maybe I was being over cautious.

I did sell my 2004 R1150R and have serious sellers remorse. I'm still trying to buy it back or replace it.
Al
Ogden, Utah
2002 R1150RT
2004 R1150R (sold) (sigh...)
2004 R 1150GS
hotzuk

Post by hotzuk »

I am on a 2002 R1150R with ABS. I picked it up with only 400 miles on the bike. I now have 28,000 miles. I have to say to more I run it the better it seems to get. I have to agree with one of the comments that you can do more than light touring on it. I live in Central NY state and have been all over on my R1150R. We are talking up to Maine, as far West as Indiana and as far south as Georgia. Been in some pretty extreme weather with it and she has always performed up to the task. You can check around for what you think is fair pricing for your 2002 but I would have to think somewhere between 4 and 5K should be fair. It is a great bike.

The only bike that I thought about giving it up for was the F800GS. I took one out for a demo ride. What a blast. The group leader had to tell me to slow down twice but at the end of the day it is still me and my girl up and down the road.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I think those who have gone over to the F800 series are missing their old RR Telelever suspension systems...
Just sayin' :D
Rich
ADIOS!
Royal Tiger
Basic User

Post by Royal Tiger »

I didn't mean to slight the Roadster by saying "light duty" touring. You have to remember my perspective. I have done 400+ miles on a race bike with a license plate. :D

I look forward to talking to the owner next week about this bike.
Dan

2003 aprilia RSV 1000R
1993 Kawasaki KLX650C