Oil Consumption

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Red1150R
Basic User

Oil Consumption

Post by Red1150R »

I have a 2005 R1150R that I purchased new, currently has 12,000km, I am having to add .5 litre of oil approximately every 1,000km. Is this normal? Dealer tells me it is???
rickmbmw
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Oil Consumption

Post by rickmbmw »

That seems excessive to me. I have 25,000 miles on my R1150R and I add very little to my bike between 3,000 mile oil changes.
Rick Muhr
MOA Lifetime Member #55708
BMW RA #20493
BMW R1150R
BMW R1200R Classic
BMW R1200GS
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Red1150R wrote:I have a 2005 R1150R that I purchased new, currently has 12,000km, I am having to add .5 litre of oil approximately every 1,000km. Is this normal? Dealer tells me it is???
could be - I still have to put in 1.5l or so over the 6K gap between services.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

Looks like the rings have yet to seat in. These engines take awhile to break in and stop using oil. With only 12k km I would think you have a ways to go. If your using synthetic oil, dump it, put in a quality dino oil, and ride the heck out of it. These engines will use oil for up to 20,000 miles. Ride it like you stole it and the cops are right behind you, that will help seat those rings.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

Okay, so after 40k (miles) mine STILL burns oil. Its not leaking enough out the stupid plastic filler cap to notice, but after about 2k there's no more oil in the sight glass. Any ideas?
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

AirForceDirt

Burning oil at 40K miles could be the result of:
Improper oil level
Stuck rings due to low engine speed operation or lugging the engine
Broken rings
Rings not yet fully seated (break-in)

Now for the questions:
Where do you keep the oil level in the window?
How do you check the oil level?
Have you performed a compression test or leak down test?
Have you owned the bike since new?
What is your riding style?

I have just re-posted the oil level check procedure a couple of days ago in another recent thread, just in case.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

I check the oil level cold after its been sitting overnight, usually first thing in the morning.

I usually keep the oil level in the upper half of the window, but not over the top of the outer red circle.

no compression or leak checks, but it doesn't drip and the bottom of the entire bike is spotless (except dust). Only spot that ever shows any oil is the filler cap, and the area around it (like its coming out the top, but not enough I don't think).

I bought the bike from my parents with 19k on it, they bought it new.

I ride it mostly back and forth to work (short commute) but when I get it out on the weekends, I ride the wheels off it.
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

To begin with, the oil level is too high....keep it at the middle of the window and see how it goes. Asuming oil changes ta 3000 miles and spirited runs the consumption should be 9 to 10 oz betwen oil changes, if the engine is mechanically sound.
Member #312
79 CBX
CNorris
Basic User

Post by CNorris »

My '02 (single spark) with 60K on it uses oil regularly, quart or a touch more every 3,000 miles. If it was a Honda, maybe I'd be concerned, but it's an air-cooled BMW and they use oil.
Craig
'02 R1150R - second time around after 8 years away
'85 BMW R80 - I have a thing for Airheads
Red1150R
Basic User

Post by Red1150R »

Thanks for the input. I think I will try the strategy of "Riding like I stole it!" Maybe this will help seat the rings. :D
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

boxermania wrote:To begin with, the oil level is too high....keep it at the middle of the window and see how it goes. Asuming oil changes ta 3000 miles and spirited runs the consumption should be 9 to 10 oz betwen oil changes, if the engine is mechanically sound.

So what does that equate to on the carefully calibrated oil sight glass? Right now, my sight glass is completely bare when on the centerstand.
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

I think what Al is trying to say is when you do an oil change after 3,000 miles of spirited riding, you should remove or get out 9 to 10 oz.s less than you initially put in. I think that 9 to 10 ounces low would not show on the sight glass at all when on the center stand after a warm engine has sat for 10 minutes.
2004 R1150RS
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

Chris.....you little rascal....you got me......April fools day. BTW, yes I received your PM and I'm happy to hear that you are back on the saddle.

AirForceDirt

The proper oil level is at the middle of the window or bulls eye at the time the oil is being checked. If when the oil check is being done and the oil is not present in the window, DO NOT OPERATE THE ENGINE as strange noises will result causing both immense aggravation and a significant loss of precious resources.
Member #312
79 CBX
chibbert
Double Lifer

Post by chibbert »

This whole thread got me in the mood of changing my oil today. I know it was changed in the fall but I wanted her to have some new soup. I rode about 10 miles to Autozone and picked up 4 quarts of Castrol GTX 20W-50 along with a filter and a new funnel. Rode home and promptly drained her guts. Closed the bottom end up and put in a new filter and 3.25 quarts of oil. Made it to level center in the sight glass. Turned on the key and started her up - ran knocky for about 4 seconds then went quiet - then I shut her off. Doing this caused the oil level to go from dead center to barely visible - I assume from the filter filling up. I added .25 quarts which brought it back up to dead center. I took her out for a 15 minute jaunt and returned - let it sit and still at dead center. All in all I used 3.5 quarts.

P.S. - my oil drain plug had only a flat washer - no crush washer. Are RS's different? I wouldn't think so myself. I can't stand the idea of a crush washer anyway :P
2004 R1150RS
ADK Explorer
Basic User

Post by ADK Explorer »

I just purchased my 1150R last spring and had the oil consumption issue also. I got on several forums and the guys were saying to try running at higher RPMs. Turns out I was lugging it too much. Now I generally cruise at 4200-5200 RPM's and fuel consumption and oil consumption decreased. Let her turn....and let us know if it helps.
chibbert
Double Lifer

Post by chibbert »

ADK - my $0.02 - I don't think the lugging 'causes' oil consumption. I think the higher revs aid to speed up the ring seating process whereby overall reducing your oil consumption. I think once your rings are seated that you can lug to your hearts content and your spark plugs lament.
2004 R1150RS
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer

Post by boxermania »

Actually both chibbert and ADK Explorer are right. The key word here is ring seating, if the rings have conformed to the cylinder wall after the break in period the oil consumption will be significantly reduced.

Any IC engine will consume some amount of oil as it is a function of both internal clearances and how said parts conform to each other. Air cooled engines, by design, exhibit a wider range of engine temperatures as opposed to the water cooled variety, hence the potential higher consumption by an air cooled engine.
Member #312
79 CBX
two wheel tango
Lifer

A more general question...

Post by two wheel tango »

Does aggressive down shifting and a bias towards more engine braking in ones riding style contribute to higher than average oil consumption :?:
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

boxermania wrote:Actually both chibbert and ADK Explorer are right. The key word here is ring seating, if the rings have conformed to the cylinder wall after the break in period the oil consumption will be significantly reduced.

Any IC engine will consume some amount of oil as it is a function of both internal clearances and how said parts conform to each other. Air cooled engines, by design, exhibit a wider range of engine temperatures as opposed to the water cooled variety, hence the potential higher consumption by an air cooled engine.

What are the options if the rings weren't seated right, ie by being babied during the break-in process.
chibbert
Double Lifer

Post by chibbert »

No options per se - by babying you have merely prolonged the break-in process
2004 R1150RS