Say goodbye to the air-cooled BMW boxer engine . . .

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

rutheugene2
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Say goodbye to the air-cooled BMW boxer engine . . .

Post by rutheugene2 »

That photo looks like a CAD model. Not a picture of a real engine. Modern engineering no longer makes hand drawn drawings, but 3D CAD models of all parts, and then assembles them into the final assembly that you see on the screen. That does not mean that they have not already made the parts and built the engine; only that the photo is a computer generated picture that may or may not include details like splines.
[size=14[/size]
Eugene (R1150R)
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

Regardless of whether that picture is a CAD, a mockup or working model, fuggly doesn't begin to describe it. If that's what an air-cooled boxer engine is going to look like, BMW should stop wasting their R&D budget on it.

I've always been a "form follows function" guy and so love both air and oil heads, but you've got to draw the line somewhere and this one is definately on the other side of it. Besides, what could they call it - the shower head?

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
rutheugene2
Basic User

Post by rutheugene2 »

Exactly. This design looks more automotive, where it will be hidden under a hood, not with the sexy curves and form that looks good on a bike. May be functional, but it just does not look like bike hardware.
[size=14[/size]
Eugene (R1150R)
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Well if they are putting the new DOHC engines the RT and the GS, it sounds like they are not giving up on the boxer yet! Curious to see if that engine makes it to the R1200R! I might wait that out. I also heard a rumor of a triple from BMW.
Buckster '03R
Beemeridian
Lifer
Donating Member #: 477

Re: Goodbye air-cooled, dry clutch BMW boxer engine?

Post by Beemeridian »

Last edited by Beemeridian on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people don't do what's right, they do what's most convenient and then repent
2015 Honda PCX150
tlwood28
Lifer

Post by tlwood28 »

If BMW dropped the oil cooled engine, I would probably pick one of the last ones up new at the dealer. I would be more than content with the current bikes, satisfied that I was riding the end of an era bike.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

rutheugene2 wrote:That photo looks like a CAD model. Not a picture of a real engine. Modern engineering no longer makes hand drawn drawings, but 3D CAD models of all parts, and then assembles them into the final assembly that you see on the screen. That does not mean that they have not already made the parts and built the engine; only that the photo is a computer generated picture that may or may not include details like splines.
challey wrote:Regardless of whether that picture is a CAD, a mockup or working model, fuggly doesn't begin to describe it. If that's what an air-cooled boxer engine is going to look like, BMW should stop wasting their R&D budget on it.

I've always been a "form follows function" guy and so love both air and oil heads, but you've got to draw the line somewhere and this one is definately on the other side of it. Besides, what could they call it - the shower head?

Charlie
rutheugene2 wrote:Exactly. This design looks more automotive, where it will be hidden under a hood, not with the sexy curves and form that looks good on a bike. May be functional, but it just does not look like bike hardware.

Did you guys read this link??

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... totype.htm

or this one?

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showpost.ph ... stcount=33

that photo is of a prototype engine from TEN YEARS AGO. It (almost) predates the R259 engine and is based on the old Airhead engines.

I was just putting it up as an example of something that has been done before. There's no such thing as new tech, only old ideas redeveloped. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
combatcarry
Basic User

Post by combatcarry »

I trademark the name "Flying Cinder Block". That thing is too ugly.