Wunderlich almost-a-fairing (hand / leg / foot shields)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Caroanbill
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Wunderlich almost-a-fairing (hand / leg / foot shields)

Post by Caroanbill »

Google can't find any direct link to web pics, but I've ordered a fake fairing from Wunderlich

- Leg + foot protector PN8600348 - covers in the area from the tank to the footpeg
http://www.produkte24.com/cy/wunderlich ... gross.html

- Clear handguards PN 8600346 - don't 'close in' the bar ends, will work with my Kaoko throttle, easily removed for summer

With my CalSci screen, this gives me a clear fairing of sorts from helmet to boot .. I'd say RT-lite, but the coverage is more like a sports fairing. I hope they get here soon, what with winter coming on and temps getting down to about 15 degrees (celcius :lol: ) in only another 10 weeks or so ...

Going to have another shot at the Wunderlich "microflooter" (because I think I can get away with using it with low beam) PN 8161655 ... but with the GS-A fog ligh switch Don E has. This was the cause of my divorce from the Aussie W'lich distributer - but (see my other post) there's a new one, yay for farkelling .. yikes for wallet.
Last edited by Caroanbill on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
redwing
Basic User

Re: Wunderlich almost-a-fairing

Post by redwing »

Hey ... it's a naked bike... not to much.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Arrived, fitted and tested! Yes, I'll get to pics soon.

The handguards were a doddle to fit and give as good hand protection as any other guard. They sit quite well - I thought they might be wobbly on rough roads etc - but judicious torquing on fitment has obviated that worry. They gradually become "visible" through bug splatter (easily wiped off).

The leg and foot protectors work well, but the instructions were useless (a bit of a Wunderlich feature) - much fiddling required. The brackets are actually newer than the design in the instructions - no real help there!

Now, here's the thing - they are incompatible with the BMW cylinder protectors. Despite cutting down spacers etc to try to get a fit, the brackets foul the protectors in too many places to find a work-around. Plus the soft threads in the sockets on the cylinders mean any forcing is risky - I think I began to damage one thread before giving up. I was quite worried by this time because combining the protectors with the BMW cylinder protectors would mean both need to come off for a service - more worry about soft threads and damage.

The good news was, afterI gave up on the cylinder protectors, fitment was smooth enough (once I'd figured out the bits Wunderlich didn't describe). They were, eventually, intuitive enough to work out. The panels sit well against the bike and obtain a reasonably solid purchase - enough not to fret about them. They are not in the way of routine servicing, at least as far as I can see.

On the road for a 550km run through the southern tablelands at temps of 13-20C (55-70F) and wearing leathers (which do get cold compared to my usual touring suit). I noticed that I didn't feel the cold on my lower legs or feet. The protectors do curve in from the cyclinder heads up to meet the tank, and this "gap" put enough wind chill on my knees to notice the difference to calves and feet (and of course my thighs are sheltered by the tank). I have the Calsci screen on at the moment which directs airflow onto hands and the handguards simply kept that air moving - no problem with vented gloves at 13C (55F).

No noticeable impact on handling - the R12R is still quite immune from crosswinds and truckwash.

All in all, I can see this will be a much more bearable winter ride, and should also keep engine heat away in summer. IT's a nice additon wiuthout the weight and windage of an RT.

Now I have to consider new engine protection - there is about 40mm minimum clearance between the cylinder and the protector, which should be enough to fit the Z Technick stainless bars that I like. This setup would mean neither bars nor protectors need be removed for routine servicing. Ah, a genuine excuse for a new farkle!!

Anouther test in a week or two when I take the bike down to Canberra to get the "microflooters" fitted ...
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Ride report first serious cold-weather run with the handguards and leg-protectors - a winter run to get lights and horn installed in Canberra in June (madness, but the first time I had available to book in with Mick Owen motocycles). No rain to test in ...

Temps: I left Sydney at about 16C (61F) down to 11C (52F) for about 2 hours across the Southern Highlands, Goulburn, and Tarago ... then down to 4C (39F) in Canberra. A short morning run (25km) across Canberra at -4C (25F), followed by a long evening run varying around 3 - 8C (37 - 45F) for 2 hours.

No heated clothing - just a fine merino wool layer under un-padded pants (BMW Streetguard). Top half was better insulated (a few fleece layers) and toasty warm - but that's not where the leg / foot protectors do their work!

Result: The leg and foot protectors did a great job on keeping wind chill off below my knees. With no wind protection my legs and feet would get cold quickly below 15C, but even with 3+ hours in the saddle, my legs were fine. The prolonged run of 2 hours at 120km/h (75mph)under 8C was a different story! The leg protectors themselves worked perfectly - no wind chill on lower legs and feet, and they didn't feel the cold at all. The wind "gap" between the leg protectors and the upper tank / handprotectors /screen meant sustained windchill hit my thighs - c-c-cold! After 30 minutes at under 5C (41F), they were feeling like skiing into a blizzard in light XC skigear, so it means I'll still need fleece under my goretex pants.

I won't comment much on hand protectors because half this site has them already. These work well, and I like that they are clear and are open at the bar ends.

Overall: These pieces really work well - the difference between where they were and where they weren't was very marked. I'd guess from windchill that very little rain would hit your lower legs and boots directly.

AN IDEA

The "gap" in this set-up sends wind and rain over your thighs. Even if you didn't want the lower leg + foot protector, taking the chill off the tops of your thighs would improve cold / wet weather comfort a lot. While it would be hard to fit a polycarbonate piece to block this section because it's where the tank is, there is another way.

A wedge (triangular prism) of somewhat flexible, clear material could be attached to the tank with silicone. It need only project just enough to deflect wind / rain - say 5cm (2 inches) and if it were a solid piece, the wind pressure would force it back onto its adhesive rather than blow it off altogether. It coudl be made a lot like the Ferguson block to increas 'srceen rake ...
Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Re: Wunderlich almost-a-fairing (hand / leg / foot shields)

Post by Sander Abernathy »

Here in the states the Snuggie has become very popular among bikers who want to ride and stay warm in winter. It's a blanket with sleeves that covers your front and leaves the backside open. It's not designed for a motorcycle so you have to modify it a little. You will need a snuggie and a pair of pants two sizes too large. Put on the snuggie and mark where your belt buckle is. Take it off and cut a slit from the bottom of the snuggie up to that point. Put on the snuggie first, then put on the pants while pushing the two bottom sections of the snuggie down each of the pants legs. Zip, snap and buckle your pants and you are ready to go.

No one is using them right now of course because it is summer. I'm sure other Americans will attest though to how effective this has been for them even if it does look a bit strange at first.
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)
Ashveratu
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Ashveratu »

I am so there...
09 Alpine White R1200R: Touring windshield, BMW panniers, Sargent Low seat, Throttlemeister.
Matt G.
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

:lol:
Sander Abernathy wrote:Here in the states the Snuggie has become very popular among bikers who want to ride and stay warm in winter. It's a blanket with sleeves that covers your front and leaves the backside open. It's not designed for a motorcycle so you have to modify it a little. You will need a snuggie and a pair of pants two sizes too large. Put on the snuggie and mark where your belt buckle is. Take it off and cut a slit from the bottom of the snuggie up to that point. Put on the snuggie first, then put on the pants while pushing the two bottom sections of the snuggie down each of the pants legs. Zip, snap and buckle your pants and you are ready to go.

No one is using them right now of course because it is summer. I'm sure other Americans will attest though to how effective this has been for them even if it does look a bit strange at first.

... you're kidding, right? :lol:

I think I'll stick to effective gear and a heated liner.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Hospital gowns work well in hot weather :shock:
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Post by Sander Abernathy »

Mollygrubber wrote::lol:
Sander Abernathy wrote:Here in the states the Snuggie has become very popular among bikers who want to ride and stay warm in winter. It's a blanket with sleeves that covers your front and leaves the backside open. It's not designed for a motorcycle so you have to modify it a little. You will need a snuggie and a pair of pants two sizes too large. Put on the snuggie and mark where your belt buckle is. Take it off and cut a slit from the bottom of the snuggie up to that point. Put on the snuggie first, then put on the pants while pushing the two bottom sections of the snuggie down each of the pants legs. Zip, snap and buckle your pants and you are ready to go.

... you're kidding, right? :lol:

I think I'll stick to effective gear and a heated liner.
And pass up a chance to keep warm while looking cool in a snuggie? Hey that's your loss.
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

And the best part of the Snuggie setup is when the lower edge gets caught in the chain, tearing the rider from the oh-so-cold position in that nasty windstream on the seat and thrusting him down on the much more warming friction-induced heat of the asphalt.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Ouch!!! Grimace!!! Way too graphic a description. At least on the R12R, it would not get caught in the chain, am just saying! :-D
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Ashveratu wrote:I am so there...
Socks and gloves might help keep those in OZ stay warmer too.

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

bump to link to F800 mirror thread
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

What I can't understand is why buy a naked bike and then fit a fairing to it or these high screens.
I just thing you guys have bought the wrong bike.
Yah each to there own I get it! BUT wtf! :-k
r12gecko
Basic User

Post by r12gecko »

I use a short & tall screen & there's only two easy fasteners to deal with when I swap. I think if you can strip the bike for summer and dress it up for spring/fall, it takes best advantage of the naked platform. So in my view, it's go for it as long as I'm not making an irreversible change I'm going to hate for half the season.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Kieran R1200R wrote:What I can't understand is why buy a naked bike and then fit a fairing to it or these high screens.
Yah each to there own I get it! BUT wtf! :-k
I guess it goes back to the time when they only sold naked bikes and you modified it to suit yourself. After almost 50 years of riding I (and I imagine many others) have a very specific idea of what I want in a motorcycle. Many times that doesn't coincide with the ideas of some engineer or marketing person that is designing a bike. So I spend a little time and money looking to see what suits my personal needs then I skin a few knuckles putting it together. The end result is a bike I can enjoy for many miles and years.

What I can't understand is why people buy a use specific bike and then don't use the bike for the use it was designed for. I see four year old GSs with thousands of dollars in off road accessories, yet the four year old bike with thousands of miles doesn't have a scratch or a ding on it. Off road bike, adventure tourer, I have to wonder. Also how many LTs and RTs have you seen arrive at a rally on a trailer pulled behind a motorhome, long distance touring bike? Only if trailer miles count.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

What Harry says. After 50 years of riding, I just don't like wind blast that much anymore, at least on long trips, and I ride a lot. But unlike the RT, which has all the protection all of the time, on the R you can add or subtract the screen(s) in 2 minutes. It is a bike that is customizable on the fly, to suit the weather and the mood of the day. Good on you young guys who ride sporty, but I'm comfortable behind my Cal-Sci large.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Kieran R1200R wrote:What I can't understand is why buy a naked bike and then fit a fairing to it or these high screens.
Yah each to there (sic) own I get it! BUT wtf! :-k
You miss the point entirely. Perhaps you think a little narrowly: the point of this bike is it allows expansive thinking. :lol:

I have owned RS, RT and LT BMWs (as have many of us). the R is a conscious choice to get a more nimble and less bulky machine. Even with all my farkles, the R is substanially lighter and less bulky than the RT, and more nimble. I simply could not ride an RT in my present home: I'd never get it out of the drive, let alone schlep it through traffic to open roads.
- Think 223kg plus perhaps 5kg in weather protection and perhaps 8 kg in luggage: that's still substantially less than the RT (and the jap alternatives add even more weight).
- Even with this bulk (which is minimal, and in my case, transparent) the R is significantly smaller than the RT.

On the open road (where I spend virtually all my R riding time) the R is less insulated than and RS or an RT.
The R ride position, even with bar-backs, is also more active than the RT - in fact, unlike the RT, it can be tailored to "just right" (the RT can only go up and back from its armchair start - it can't come forward and down).
So we finish up with what used to be the classic touring bike (before massive fairings and weight) - light, nimble, with moderate weather protection (I ride at low temps at times, and it matters) and great "connection" to landscape.

Perfect .. because the classic touring bike is just what I wanted.

and you have the perfect naked bike. Ain't that grand! =D>
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

+1.

I've owned quite a few of the same bikes Caroanbill has in his sig.. and a lot before those. The R is perfect for what I want to do, and it's so easy to change depending on what I want to do with it that it's the perfect Swiss-Army knife of BMWs.. sorta all purpose bike. And I have absolutely NO desire to ever go back to a fully faired bike again. I have a convertible and a sports car for that use.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

deilenberger wrote:+1.

I've owned quite a few of the same bikes Caroanbill has in his sig.. and a lot before those. The R is perfect for what I want to do, and it's so easy to change depending on what I want to do with it that it's the perfect Swiss-Army knife of BMWs.. sorta all purpose bike. And I have absolutely NO desire to ever go back to a fully faired bike again. I have a convertible and a sports car for that use.
Dissenting vote here:

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741