R1150R - Abs problem

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

lewis
Basic User

R1150R - Abs problem

Post by lewis »

hello all,

i own a '04 R1150R but i have a problem with integral ABS.

when i press the front brake the red light lights continuously and the ABS light is blinking. after this, i have no servo assist in rear brakes.
this happens during first brake press during summer and after 10-15 times during winder.

somebody told me that its the ABS unit (which costs 2200 euros + human workhours), someone else that its the battery, someone told me that my bike has 4 fluid circuits for brakes and i have to bleed all of them..

my question is, had anyone else this problem ?
how to start debugging in order to find whats happening ?

regards,
George
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Re: R1150R - Abs problem

Post by rdsmith3 »

Well start with the simple things. Is your brake light (at the back of the bike) functioning correctly? It is the original brake light, or has something been added to it, such as a flashing LED?

When the bike is off and you squeeze the front lever several times, can you hear a tiny little switch being actuated? You should hear this tiny clicking sound for both the front brake lever, and the foot pedal.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
r1200r08
Basic User

Post by r1200r08 »

i have problem with my r1200r abs too, buy one set Gs-911 for finding fault code, very easy to find what problem with your bike (after 2 munite iknow that power supply to pump motor is fault) but how to solve it is other mater
i am trying to solve my problem hope you can solve it soon
AndyRR
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by AndyRR »

I had a similar problem that was easily fixed. The rear pad was worn too low, causing the fluid to be low in the ABS unit. Topping off the fluid stopped the light until I had a chance to replace the pad. It is best to replace the pad first, as doing it the other way can overfill the ABS and cause it to leak out the overflow and mess up your paint.
lewis
Basic User

Post by lewis »

hello all,

after a short ride, i noticed that :
when i press the front brake, clicks..
when i press the rear brake, clicks also..
the back stop light works fine..

i made a video, uploaded it in youtube to let you see the blinking lights after the problem occurs..
please take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t3IL56PVgk

rgds,

George
texbid
Basic User

Post by texbid »

I had the same problem for a long time. Exacly the same scenario as described.

The battery is a possible foult but not very likely. I replaced mine twice but the probelem kept coimng back.

I then took the bike in for service and had all the pressure sensor checked on the ABS unit. One of them was reading low. However this was nt the full culprit. I had the brake system flushed and all the break lines, banjo bolts tightened. 2 were ever so loose.

Turns out that if the system reads low pressure it thinks its loosing fluid and shuts off the servo, you get what BMW calls residual braking, to me that means just about nothing.

My reccomendation,

Change Battery to the high capacity one (90A I think)
bleed sytem (dirty flud could get cause the sensr to read low pressure as well)
check all brake system connections
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

My thinking is the same as texbid.

Doesn't seem to be a battery issue... The general light "!" initially extinguishes (It does light up when it errors, though)

Doesn't seem to be a issue with brake light switches, or the wiring to the switches... Slow 1 hz flashing after start up, meaning it passed the continuity test... If it were a bad switch or wiring, it wouldn't slow down to 1 hz.

So far, this is all completely normal operation. You should be able to pull away to get rid of the slow flashing light. When the slow flashing light extinguishes, that means that the wheel sensors passed their test.

When the brake is operated, it errors ("!" light on, ABS light 4 hz) ... I can't help diagnosing on the internet, from this point.

Bad fluid???
Leak???
Problem in the ABS unit???
Some other electrical issue???

All reasonable guesses...

I reccommend getting the computer fault code read. That'll point you to your problem quickly.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
lewis
Basic User

Post by lewis »

hello again...

some of you advised me to change the battery...
i have an Odyssey, the last 2 years..

which one to choose... ?

http://www.batteryweb.com/motorcycle-ba ... MW&cc=1150
texbid
Basic User

Post by texbid »

batteries ... batteries ..

I have owned several BMW products, 3 cars, 2 motorbikes,

it has been my experience that geting a dealer battery is the way to go, beleive me I have tried to get away with a aftermarket product with little to no success. Usually they are about 5 mah stonger but it eliminates the "it could be the battery" discussion.

Kudos to the odessy crowd and their converts.
texbid
Basic User

Post by texbid »

Just a quick update. Since my last post I have not had any issues with the ABS system.

I am now convinced that it was a combination of

loosed banjo fittings around the braking system
bad brake fluid

and last a

bad battery.

Hope this helps someone else.
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

One thing to remember about the tail/Brake light bulb on the intergal system is the computer will compensate for a brunt out filament by increasing or decreasing the current flow through the remaing filament. If the Brake light filament is burnt out the system will increase the electrical flow through the taillight filament when applying the brakes to simiulate having a functiong brake light. If the taillight filament is burnt out then the system will reduce the electrical current through the brake light filament to simulate having a taillight. In both cases it will also trigger fault code with the abs lights. The only way to know for sure is to compare the fault code with the owners manual or to remove the tail/brake light bulb and look at the filaments in the bulb. So just looking at the tailight with the ignition on or the brakelight with the brake applied will not tell you if the taillight or brakelight filiment is burnt out.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
texbid
Basic User

Post by texbid »

reading more an more horror stories on the "residual braking" and failed ABS modules.

I will be removing mine and going to standard brakes.

just cant get comfortable taht the abs will not fail again!
texbid
Basic User

Post by texbid »

ABS now removed.

no cost option
https://content.wuala.com/contents/JosW ... .pdf/?dl=1

useful workaround with original harness (I read this too late)
http://jpramondon.blogspot.com/2010/05/ ... fully.html

colorful video on removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xZMewBazMI