Love my new iPad

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

mcooperstein
Donating Member #: 2

Love my new iPad

Post by mcooperstein »

I've been a fan of the iPod Touch and use it for everything so it was natural that when the iPad came out I would be interested. I saved up and recently got a 32Gb wi-fi/3G version. I've taken it on a few camping trips and it's done well, is rugged and small enough to fit in my saddlebags, and I had no problem finding cell service to get online with. I got my iPad when AT&T was offering unlimited Internet for $30/mo and have been grandfathered in, now I believe $30 gets you 250 Gb/mo. I use my iPad with Netflix and SlingPlayer which allows me to connect to my satellite receiver at home and stream video. This eats up bandwidth, but I've still never used 250Gb so even with the new cap I suppose I'd be ok.

I also have Skype and Vonage on my iPad and can make outgoing landline phone calls for free, for the time being. AT&T doesn't like this and may get-together with Apple and figure out a way to restrict VOIP usage on the iPad. Btw, the iPad unlike the Touch has a built-in microphone so it doesn't need anything extra to work with Skype. Ostensibly I can pay $$$$ to Skype and get an incoming number as well, but i don't really need this feature.

Another feature the 3G version has is a fully functional GPS chip. I have a nice GPS App that works as well as my TomTom.

Right now there are a few niggle things that I don't like about the iPad. For one thing, at the present time it doesn't support Apples new OS IOS4, which iPhones and my Touch support. Another thing, it supports ALL iPhone apps, but it runs the app in a reduced video mode. If you want to go into 2X video mode, then the app fills the screen but since the pixels are doubled it looks weird. Natively written pas apps are written in 1024/768 video and look sweet on the ipads big display.

Mark
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Re: Love my new iPad

Post by boxermania »

Mark

I know you have been lurking in the wings.....haven't heard much from you. The last time we talked, 5 or 6 years ago on the side of the road, you were going to explore the medical business, or so I remember. Other than moderating what are you doing these days, are you still riding?

Good health and best wishes........like the iPod report....that's the little kid in you...... :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
nicoledc109
Basic User

Re: Love my new iPad

Post by nicoledc109 »

mcooperstein wrote:I've been a fan of the iPod Touch and use it for everything so it was natural that when the iPad came out I would be interested. I saved up and recently got a 32Gb wi-fi/3G version. I've taken it on a few camping trips and it's done well, is rugged and small enough to fit in my saddlebags, and I had no problem finding cell service to get online with. I got my iPad when AT&T was offering unlimited Internet for $30/mo and have been grandfathered in, now I believe $30 gets you 250 Gb/mo. I use my iPad with Netflix and SlingPlayer which allows me to connect to my satellite receiver at home and stream video. This eats up bandwidth, but I've still never used 250Gb so even with the new cap I suppose I'd be ok.

I also have Skype and Vonage on my iPad and can make outgoing landline phone calls for free, for the time being. AT&T doesn't like this and may get-together with Apple and figure out a way to restrict VOIP usage on the iPad. Btw, the iPad unlike the Touch has a built-in microphone so it doesn't need anything extra to work with Skype. Ostensibly I can pay $$$$ to Skype and get an incoming number as well, but i don't really need this feature.

Another feature the 3G version has is a fully functional GPS chip. I have a nice GPS App that works as well as my TomTom.

Right now there are a few niggle things that I don't like about the iPad. For one thing, at the present time it doesn't support Apples new OS IOS4, which iPhones and my Touch support. Another thing, it supports ALL iPhone apps, but it runs the app in a reduced video mode. If you want to go into 2X video mode, then the app fills the screen but since the pixels are doubled it looks weird. Natively written pas apps are written in 1024/768 video and look sweet on the ipads big display.

Mark
Thanks for sharing.