Oil Level Window

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

decimus
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Oil Level Window

Post by decimus »

I just changed my engine oil and oil filter and am vexed by the oil level window: I filled it with 3.5 liters, figuring that I'd slowly add oil until I got a mid-window oil level, but the window shows yellow/gold: the color of fresh oil. :-k
Since I put 3.5 liters in, and my Clymer manual says it takes 3.75 when the filter is changed too . . . am I not seeing oil in the window, or is it too full (and how could that be with only 3.5 liters?)
I think #-o I recall that the window shows a aluminum/silver color when no oil is in the bike, but I'm not sure . . .
Don't want to ride it with too much or too little, and don't want to drain it and try again unnecessarily. Anybody ever run into this problem? Thanks in advance!
1996 R1100R "Raquel"
1971 R75/5 "Bertha"
boxermoose
Basic User

Re: Oil Level Window

Post by boxermoose »

Take it for a 20 minute ride to heat everything up and get the oil thru the coolers - then report back
TANSTAAFL
decimus
Basic User

Post by decimus »

OK, rode it twenty minutes. Window still showing gold. :-k
1996 R1100R "Raquel"
1971 R75/5 "Bertha"
R1100Ryder
Basic User

Post by R1100Ryder »

After a ride, place it on the side stand for 10-15 min (let the oil cooler drain) then put it on center stand and see where the level is.
goo
Basic User

i have an idea

Post by goo »

maybe they could attach a stick to the filler cap. you could remove the cap and stick and see how much oil is in the engine.
boxermoose
Basic User

Re: i have an idea

Post by boxermoose »

goo wrote:maybe they could attach a stick to the filler cap. you could remove the cap and stick and see how much oil is in the engine.
no can do on a oil head boxer (OK on a airhead)

If it was me I'd crack the drain and take a 1/2 quart (into a clean container incase you have to add some) out and see where it ends up - do it warm tho. IIRC the window it's self shows about 250ml from top to bottom. That way you take out a bit more then you need as it's probably easier to add then try to drain a specific amount out

Next time you do the oil make sure the engine is good and hot before you drain the oil
TANSTAAFL
babulin2002
Basic User

Post by babulin2002 »

yeah, i always tend to put too much oil myself when i change it :)
the trick for me is to remember what the oil window looks like with no oil there, and then watch it carefully when i add the new oil. somewhere around the 3,5 liters you should see the oil level rising in the window. The window is a bit yellowish in color even with no oil behind it, but you can see the oil level rather clearly when it 'passes' the window. When the level is too high, you can feel the engine 'struggling' a bit, and hence a bit more vibrations. So if you experience that there's a clue. What i would do is add more oil while watching the oil window until you are sure you reached/exceeded the prescribed the 3,75 l. If you do not see the level rising in the window, there's a good chance you have too much oil, so unscrew the oil release screw and let some out, while watching the window. i find it quite easy to do. My problem is i have no patience while filling the engine with oil, and always forget it takes some seconds before the new oil reaches the bottom of the engine and the level rises in the window. So i usually put too much and then watch helplessly as it rises above the maximum level :)
Also, when you put in a new filter, running the engine might decrease the oil level in the window as the oil is redistributed inside (filter is filled). Hope it helps,
cheers
decimus
Basic User

Post by decimus »

babulin2002, appreciate it! That was it: I had it under-filled. Fortunately I haven't been riding for the past several days due to a wicked flu/cold, but today felt well enough to try your suggestion.
For those of you who may have had this problem: the oil level window has a yellow/gold tint to it which is easily mistaken for clean oil. When my level got close (actually showing in the window) the oil is darker; easily distinguishable from the yellow/gold. It would also be very easy to over-fill from here. I just poured about 3 oz. (approx.) in at a time and waited thirty seconds or so. After a few pours the new oil showed. So the lesson for me is not to be mislead by the yellow/gold color of the empty oil level window.
Thanks for your help =D> R1100R riders!
1996 R1100R "Raquel"
1971 R75/5 "Bertha"