Do These Bikes Like Cooler Weather...?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Do These Bikes Like Cooler Weather...?

Post by Xdot »

In my ongoing quest to understand my new German girlfriend I continue the query thread. Just asking since my 1150 was running particularly sweet this morning. It was about 50deg and since I've only had the bike since early summer, mostly riding in 90+ heat, she seemed to prefer the cooler air. This would make sense since since Germany is well north of NYC. Or maybe she was just in a good mood because Bayern Munchen won this weekend. :mrgreen:
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Re: Do These Bikes Like Cooler Weather...?

Post by challey »

Not sure why, but my R1150R always ran really sweetly on cool mornings (<55F or so) with moderate humidity, like you'd find in the spring or fall in SE PA. Conversely, she ran really poorly in hot, humid mid-Atlantic summer weather. The bike ran OK in sub-freezing temps, noticably better than in the summer but somewhat less smoothly than when the temp was more moderate.

Maybe cool, dense air with the right amount of moisture allows for more complete combustion. Or maybe the nice weather simply puts the operator in a better frame of mind . . .

Charlie
'03 R1150R
Life member 365
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

There is an ambient air sensor located in the top of the air cleaner cover, colder temperatures allow the ECU to enrichen the mixture slightly to ofsetthe denser air, hence the added pep.

Some users have plotted the relationship between air and resistance and have installed a fixed value resistor at the plug to "fool" the ECU into thinking the outside temperature is, let's say 50 degrees and get a bit of added fuel.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
jcridge
Lifer
Donating Member #: 876

Post by jcridge »

boxermania wrote: Some users have plotted the relationship between air and resistance and have installed a fixed value resistor at the plug to "fool" the ECU into thinking the outside temperature is, let's say 50 degrees and get a bit of added fuel.
Is that plot availble somewhere on the web?

I have installed fixed resistors on other applications to increase MPG with excellent results. The air temperature on a liquid cooled vehicle is more of a trim value then a major input varible. Problem I ran into the most was the hotter the air temperature the lower resistance value, so a simple in-line pot was not a solution. Most circuits have a operating range, some have segmented values meaning they will have a resistance for a wider range of temperatures before changing to another reistance value ( maybe 3-5 values to cover 100F, instead of a linear value with temperature)
One solution was to build a multi-position rotary switch with different resistor drops off each leg, this was the most useful device I built for this type of application, because it was Radio Shack, Newark type parts that are availible anywhere.

John
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

I plotted air temperature sensor resistance vs temperature a few years back and posted on this site. I lost the HD on that computer, albeit I was able to recover some files. I'll have to look and see if I still have it, the other choice is to browse my posts on this forum.

Lastly you can easily generate a 4 point plot with with the sensor, a DVM, digital thermometer, water, ice, and heating the water.
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX