A question about throttle control

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

redwing
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

A question about throttle control

Post by redwing »

Hi All ... Today in a parking lot I rode through a square drainage grid that is recessed into the pavement. The grid is about one or two inches down from the surface of the rest of the parking lot. I hit the grid straight on, at a right angle. The bike rolled through totally unaffected except the throttle (me) goosed the bike from I guess 10 mph to perhaps 20 mph. I have noticed this happening on bumpy roads.

How or what technique is used to prevent the jolt of a pot hole being transmitted to the throttle?

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Re: A question about throttle control

Post by ka5ysy »

Good Morning Robert !

The quick answer is to practice a whole bunch and it will become second nature. On rough roads, of which Louisiana has a lot, I will move my hand up to where I can grip the rubber flange of the throttle and the switch gear housing together. That technique is used when I do not have the Throttlemeister friction set because I am maneuvering at slow speeds. I generally run with a bit of friction on the Throttlemeister when cruising around, and that effectively eleminates unintended throttle inputs on bumps. It also gives my right hand a lot of rest ! Using the friction lock is something that requires an affirmative roll-off of the throttle on stops, so requires a bit of training to get it automatic.
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

PRACTICE it's that easy. Just ride and you'll get the hang of it. A little suggestion for the mental prep making it second nature, would be to get a copy of On Any Sunday and listen to the sage advise of Malcom Smith peppered throughout the film. If you're not familiar, it is a late 60's early 70's vintage documentary about motorcycle racing made by Bruce Brown who was the director of Endless Summer. The film spends a good deal of time following Smith and Mert Lawwill, pretty neat watch. Listen to what they have to say and keep it in the back of your mind. Granted, it's not a "riding technique" film but there is some wisdom shared by some FAST guys. BTW, Smith is still desert racing today and he's deep into the 60's maybe over 70.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
jess
Basic User

Post by jess »

Happened to me a lot when I first bought the bike. It still happens to me today, but with less frequency. As others have said, it comes with practice.

I swear though, the throttle on this bike needs a reduction gear.
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

Goose it through the hole....
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

Redwing

Just an idea, but a lot of riders (esp. new riders) tend to run too a low gear (e.g. 1st) at low speeds. I know many posters on here say that these bikes run happiest between 3-5000rpm. Personally if in town or slow speed (on pretty level ground, not steep slopes) I run the highest gear/smallest throttle input the bike is happy with (it's surprisingly flexible for a twin, and will drive well at low revs). If your machine is in tune then it'll run happily at or even under 2000rpm even in the higher gears (at least mine does anyway). If the road speed is above walking pace in town, I'll always be out of 1st gear.

IF you are in a v low gear when this is happening to you (and from your post I tend to think so)...... I'd suggest you try running a gear (maybe even 2!) higher than you are currently using. The lower the gear the greater the effect of a bump (or any throttle input causing you to apply power), which results in a dramatic, rapid and powerful 'surge' or lurch forward. The combination of low gearing and higher revs means the power to the back wheel is both stronger and more direct - this then makes the bike shoot forward in the way you describe. Running a higher gear drops the rpm's and the raised gearing means the horsepower/torque applied by the throttle to the road is significantly more gradual, smoother and far easier to regulate and deal with.

If you're worried about stalling, simply cover the clutch lever (which you should be doing anyway when low speed manoeuvring ) so you can disengage drive and drop a gear if required (note that if you whip the clutch in over speed bumps etc. then you'll simply roll over it as well).

I tend to use the clutch when running in slow town traffic to smooth the pick-up on & off the throttle - I don't like the drivetrain lash when coming on/off the throttle at low speeds esp. in low gears (I've done this on all my bikes, not just my Rockster). I feel that removing the drive for a moment, then feeding the clutch back in might give the gearbox splines an easier time as well.

Of course, as the others have put quite rightly, practice is the key.

Hope this helps!

G.
Motorcycle_Girl
Lifer
Donating Member #: 752

Post by Motorcycle_Girl »

Part of it also could be because you are holding on too tight....if you relax when going over bumps slighly bent elbows, ease off on your grip and the effect through the bars is greatly reduced...

Celeste
2009 R1200R Biarritz Blue
1982 Yamaha RD350LC (IT LIVES!!!!)
hankth
Basic User

Post by hankth »

A common mistake is to position your wrist too high, causing a rotation,(gas on) when hitting a bump. Look at your hand and wrist on the bar. The top of your hand should be in a straight line with the top of your wrist. Good luck.
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I believe Motorcycle Girl got it right. Relaxed grip and keeping your elbows bent will always improve your riding skill but it's especially important when your on a powerful bike in the low gears.
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

I second grwrockster's suggestion. Dirt-biking teaches you that at low speeds you use the throttle to keep the engine in its sweet spot, and the clutch to make the bike go forward or to back off a bit. Try using your clutch more over bumps and poor traction when at crawl speed and I think things will smooth out considerably.
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

redwing wrote:How or what technique is used to prevent the jolt of a pot hole being transmitted to the throttle?
This could be new rider syndrome? If that is the case for you then try whatever might build your confidence. For some people that might be taking a course, for others it's simply lots of riding. Lack of confidence leads to fear and that leads to cramps in all kinds of places. As Motorcycle_Girl said, not being loose can lead to what you describe because your body movements are transferred to the bike and controls that way.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

Thanks everyone... good techniques and good advice .... I'm sure something will work. Dealing with the pavement stepping up or down is common here in Louisiana. Almost every entrance into a parking lot has a curb to role over. However sometimes a pot hole is upon me and I can't avoid it. I think part of a solution could be the reaction after the jolt.
... riding in a higher gear than needed .... holding my wrist in a straight line... using the housing next to the throttle for stability .... being ready to use the clutch...being relaxed ... and practice .... all good stuff...
I have seen "On Any Sunday" but will see it again.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

Motorcycle Girl has it, along with Malcom giving you the Yoda like "be one with the bike advice" from the movie. And + a bunch on riding a dirt bike.
Last edited by BigEasy on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Here is the second On Any Given Sunday movie links as follows:

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_Kcfbf0Ek&NR=1
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjdVS0GZ ... re=related
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwnf0edP ... re=related
Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfSKOHs ... re=related
Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iohwlqYj ... re=related
Part 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwA_jmLk ... re=related
Part 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_WH_E8- ... re=related
Part 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKff-IAq ... re=related
Part 9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1noPx5C ... re=related

BTW, watched the first movie and found it to be entertaining and informative - hard to believe we actually made it through that era - riding in the back of pickup trucks, few wearing helmets, shotguns in gun racks in the back of unlocked pickups, etc.

Loved the rides ... remember my OSA 250 and other rides fondly from those days.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD