Top box or side cases?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Tarmac
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Top box or side cases?

Post by Tarmac »

I’m getting ready to plunk down some cash and get some luggage. What do you folks think the BMW side cases, or the top box? I’m talking about commuting, not a big multi-day ride. Just a place to stash some rain gear, street shoes, lap top etc, and then leave my helmet and gloves when I’m at the office.

Does the top case affect handling? What about in a crosswind? I’m talking solo riding.

Riding 2 up can the Mrs use a top case as a sissy bar? Will the side cases get in the way of her legs? What about splitting lanes?

Any other thoughts, comments or $0.02 would be appreciated.
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Re: Top box or side cases?

Post by websterize »

I find the sides cases invaluable in city commuting. My helmet and gear go in them before heading into the office. Someone here — an Aussie, I think — said the cases look like dog's balls, and he was right. They hang wide, mucking up the bike's lines, but they are functional. Recently, I glanced the taillight of a Mercedes convertible with one of them, judging there was more room to pass. They also give peace of mind in the event of a side collision.

Instead of the >$400 topcase, I found the 51-liter sports bag a better value, with superior capacity and versatility. Can't advise about passenger leg room but guess it'd be tight. I rode a loaner R12R with a topcase and didn't notice handling differences, but the case was empty.

Chicago BMW sells the side cases for 20-percent off. Don't forget the locks and reflectors.
Bill
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

+1 on Bill's comments. Besides using them for my several longish trips each year, they get used almost every time I'm on the bike. A full-face-Schuberth flip-up helmet will fit in one, and a two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter will JUST fit in the other one. Plus my Sunday rides sometimes end up at local antique flea-markets, and the crap I buy goes in a sidecase to get it home (taking the bike luckily restricts the size of the crap I can buy.. and that's intentional..)

Topcase - meh.. the temptation to fill it up with heavy stuff is just too great for me. I had one on my K bikes and on my '04 RS - I only put them on when going on a trip, and I only would pack a sleeping bag in them since I didn't want the weight up high. EVERYTHING else went in the sidecases. On the R12R - the sleeping bag goes in a dry-sack and is RokStrap'd to the pillion portion of the seat. If I had a pillion passenger I might invest in a tail-rack for the sleeping bag.

YMMV - but that's what I do..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MIKE46
Basic User

Post by MIKE46 »

I would go for the panniers, I leave mine on all the time, they will take a helmet any plenty of other gear and do not compromise the handling even at motorway speeds. They hold all the gear I need for a long trip.

I have had a top box but the locking mechanism failed on a continental trip and I had to dump it as I could not shut it or reattach it to the rack. On my return home I found that one of my pals had the same problem and was told by the dealers that it was a common fault and was not repairable due to the fact that the mechanism was so complicated.

I dug out a tail bag that I had for an R850R and was surprised to find that it fits the 1200 and it comes in useful occasionally for bits and bobs on short trips.
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Tarmac wrote:I’m getting ready to plunk down some cash and get some luggage. What do you folks think the BMW side cases, or the top box? I’m talking about commuting, not a big multi-day ride. Just a place to stash some rain gear, street shoes, lap top etc, and then leave my helmet and gloves when I’m at the office.
I have both. The side cases were on the bike when I got it, and I bought the top case on eBay. For commuting I only ever use the top case. I find the side cases too bulky for my purposes, which seem similar to yours. The top case can hold my helmet and gloves and I can lock it. If I hang the helmet on a foot peg I can fit all gear in the top case (mesh overpants and jacket, gloves, bandanna, kidney belt). The top case also has plenty of room to take food, a water bottle, a book and papers. It is rated up to 5kg, ~11lbs.
Tarmac wrote:Does the top case affect handling? What about in a crosswind? I’m talking solo riding.
I don't feel anything adverse. I don't pack it above the 5kg limit.
Tarmac wrote:Riding 2 up can the Mrs use a top case as a sissy bar? Will the side cases get in the way of her legs? What about splitting lanes?
Yes
No
Don't know
Tarmac wrote:Any other thoughts, comments or $0.02 would be appreciated.
For trips I use the side cases without the top case, simply because it turns out I don't need more luggage than that. I like to hike and the ability to park my bike and lock most of my stuff is important to me. I think that especially when you go camping the top case is not so beneficial. Using straps and compression sacks fits longish rolls way better.
Last edited by hjsbmw on Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

I use both a top case and the BMW side cases. The top case is a low profile Pelican case mostly used for my camera gear. A top case can also provide a back rest for a passenger which for the tentative first timer really helps. No fears of sliding off the back on acceleration. As for using side cases and lane splitting, no worries there. I do it all the time. The width of the handlebar is wider than the bags and the position of the handlebar is more critical in lane splitting as it's generally just the right height to hit the mirrors of the cars you're splitting between.
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

My first choice would be the topcase - since you mention both lane splitting and a sissy bar.

The panniers are the best I've ever used - stable at speed (you simply don't notice them) but they do limit lane splitting. I never tour without them. However, I never do days rides with them (when lane-splitting makes a difference getting outta and into town).

The 28 litre topcase shows no noticeable weight or windage: it's a very slippery design. It looks good on the bike as topcases go (especially with a colour-coded lid!). You can get a small pad for a pillion backrest, and it doesn't jam a pillion forward. It is quite narrow and suits the bike's lines without panniers. It will hold a full face helmet + gloves easily.

Downside? The topcase might not take a laptop - but then, some laptops won't fit in the panniers either. Best to check before you buy: the internal dimemsions are noticeably smaller than the exterior! Also (a minor thing) - it does look a tad too small when you also have the panniers (oops, style nazi came out).

Either (or both) will give you a one-key bike, and both will add to resale (aftermarket bags / topcases detract from value and are best removed before sale, then offered separately).

You can get the HUGE topcase - two helmets and a ton o' gear - Lousiana Bill (with the great granite grey machine) has one - pics somewhere on this board or links to his Louisiana riders' site ... but it would look quite odd without the panniers as well IMHO.
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

I rode for about six months without the topcase. I keep my side cases on the bike at all times. The right side case is filled with emergency items (quart of oil, tire compressor, tire repair kit, rain suit, first aid kit, emergency strobe light).
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
qfman
Lifer

Post by qfman »

Looks like you should go for the top case but they are devilish unstable at speed. I have seen them get tossed off n bumpy roads. The combination of all that weight so far behind the rear axle has a leverage effect that I don't like. Hard top boxes do not 'conform' to slightly irregular shapes. This means if the item doesn't fit so you can close the latch you can't take it with you. This can be annoying when you stop at a shop to buy a couple of items and get a bit carried away.

For my R12R I went for the Ventura rack and bag. The only downsides to them is you need the stormcover for heavy rain (works well) and they are not lockable. I solve this by either taking the bag & contents with me (2 clips) or by using a cable lock. It ain't theft-PROOF but neither are locks on top boxes.

For the other 85% of the time they are PERFECT.

Tom

http://www.ventura-bike.com/
tobes
Lifer

Post by tobes »

I went with the top case only. I split lanes daily on my commute to work. The system top case has worked out well. I lock my helmet, gloves and glasses to the side of the bike and use the case for other storage. On longer trips I'll use a Helen TwoWheels dry bag on the back seat and a tank bag in addition to the top case. This provides all the storage I need. My top case has a back cushion for the Mrs when she wants to ride. I've found the system top case to be very stable actually. I've done 100+ mph as well as dirt roads with it and have never had a problem.
Mike
taosports
Double Lifer

Post by taosports »

Lane splitting with my BMW systems cases and a top box : http://vimeo.com/8855470

No worries! :p
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

We just got back from France. Everyone, scooters, motorcycles --- uses usually just the top case and usually one made by Givi. I mean I was really looking bc my used bike came with what I think is a 32 liter Givi top case and Givi side bags.

I took the Givi side bags off and then I was staring at truly ugly Givi bar set up what they attach to; not sort of not noticible as with the BMW system side cases; the Givi brackets for the side cases suck. So I took the bars off; I think I can get them back on in probably 10 mins; not a big deal; that left me feeling like a second class citizen riding around with just the Givi top case. Yeah I do need a top case bc there is always crap I want to lock up. If it's just my Cycleport jacket and the helmet I run a 4 foot cable through the arm of the jacket and the face of the full face helmet and pad lock them on the bike laying on the seat; I think I could get the helmet in the top case but that's not how I do it. Cable and lock go in side pocket of jacket.

Just got back from my first overnight and I easily put change of clothes, lap top all the crap in the top case; and, I think with just the top case I'd be good for 3 days two nights on the road; or maybe more if I hit a motel with coin laundry machines; I mean that's the cool thing about motorcycle road trips; you wear your ATTGATT outfit all day and just need levis and something besides mc boots for night.

Would not go much bigger than the top case I am using; I did not weigh it but with lap top, pants, underwear, three bottles of water and the usual crap, dude it was heavy; I'd bet close to 40 lbs. Bike doesn''t seem to care; don't know it's there. I would not waste money on some kind of liner to hold the stuff; I just unsnap and carry it to the room like suitcase.

Put your passenger on the bike with just the top case on; you'll probably find that you don't need a cushion on the face of the top case for the passenger; they just don't sit that way on the back of the bike.

So now I"m Euro Cool with just my Givi top case ---- I've gone triple digit with it on; I've read about others having trouble attaching the Givi top case; but it was done when I got the bike and it's a Givi tail piece what the top case attaches to and looks fine. Easy on easy off; not so much easy on easy off with the Givi side cases when I had them on; so I'm done. And, I'm ok with my non BMW top case too.
curmudgeon
Basic User

Post by curmudgeon »

I use the BMW 28 liter top case as I prefer to keep the bike as narrow as possible. On trips I add a Touratech seat bag I have left over from my 2000 R1150GS. Between the two there's more than enough room for the gear I need. I bought the rack from my local dealer but I will admit to buying the top case online, an out-of-state dealer had one discounted about 25% (local dealer wanted full retail).

When I had the GS I bought both top and side bags but used the saddlebags very little, I think I loaned the saddlebags out as many times as I actually used them.
2008 R1200R Granite Gray
gunnarson
Basic User

Post by gunnarson »

I use the top case only and find it tremendously handy. Easy access to throw things in quick, plenty of room for helmet or other things, don't have to bend over to open/fill. Good support for the wife when forced to take her with (not sure if that counts as upside or downside)
No issues at speed.
just my 2 cents
ShinySideUp
Lifer

Post by ShinySideUp »

I have both but use the top case only on longer trips. And accessory for the top case is a pad that passengers can lean against. No problem in handling as long as weight is within limits. Helmet or clothing: no problem. I wouldn't load it up with lead shot, however!

Passengers haven't complained about leg room with the side cases on.

I split lanes daily with the side cases on and do not find them getting in the way, since the widest part of the bike is the tips of the handlebars. If they make it through, the cylinder heads and side cases will make it. Also the part of the adjacent vehicles I'm trying to clear is their mirrors, so their door panels and fenders are wider yet. No problem.

I think, if starting from zero, I would follow the advice above and get the side cases, reserving a larger and cheaper waterproof bag for trips.
"Everybody has a plan until they get hit." - Mike Tyson
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

The ladies, they do love the security of that topcase behind them...
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
snag
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 639

Post by snag »

I have the BMW bags and the top case and soft bag liners for each. Bags are on the bike 95% of the time and get used a lot.

The top case only goes on for trips and is a necessity when the Bride is along; to quote: This one's for my makeup. She feels very safe back there and the rubber accessory pad allows her to sit back and chill out with her tunes and really enjoy the ride. She particularly likes the way the bags give her a sense of security, she feels that she is sitting in the bike rather than perched on top.

No stability issues, the heavy stuff goes in the bags.

Contrary to some here, I find the top case quite small, maybe I pack too much stuff on a trip, it's been a problem my whole life. The soft bag liners are great if you are hoteling it, but do take up a fair amount of room.

Doug
Plea bargaining does have its advantages.
'08 12R
'79 CBX
'74 CB750
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

taosports wrote:Lane splitting with my BMW systems cases and a top box : http://vimeo.com/8855470

No worries! :p
EPIC!
1 Q? Whats all that liquidey stuff on the ground and camera? We don't have that stuff here in Tucson :)
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
MrChicken
Lifer

Post by MrChicken »

I use the top box for daily commuting and add the panniers when touring. In Sydney, the lanes are generally pretty tight, and panniers do restrict filtering. It’s obviously different for different people and places, but for me, a narrower profile works best around town.

I love the top box for what it is. It’s convenient, holds all I need for the day, and locks easily (with everything keyed-alike). At 28 litres, it’s not huge storage, so don’t think helmet plus much else. For example, I can’t fit a helmet and rain gear. If you buy the top box, make sure you also get the scuff guard for your rack.

Like everyone else here, there are no issues with windage or handling when touring.

By the way, I do like the large BMW soft bag for touring when I have lots of stuff. It slides right onto the rack, ties down easily, and holds a small country.

Geoff
jess
Basic User

Post by jess »

I commute with a top box exclusively -- but not the factory one -- I've fitted an F800GS Vario top box to my R12R. I have the factory side cases, and use them for long trips. It's just not possible to do the miles and miles of lanesplitting on I-880 with side cases attached, though, so they stay home during the week.