SW-motech luggage rack and JC Whitney topcase

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

RedJettaTDI
Basic User

SW-motech luggage rack and JC Whitney topcase

Post by RedJettaTDI »

Greetings all,

I have been looking for a backrest and topcase for my 2004 Rockster. It does not currently have any luggage rack or the BMW sidebag mounts, just bare Rockster. I am looking at the SW-Motech alu-rack toprack:
http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts.com ... ggageracks

and the JC Whitney topcase which also has a backrest pad:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-tra ... 2004l200j3

This seems to be a pretty cost effective solution. Does anyone know if these would work together, IE if the Whitney trunk mount will fit on the SW rack? Also, does anyone know if there are any backrests that just clamp on to the luggage rack (without the trunk) just so my wife does not fly off the back when she forgets to hold on and I do not need the trunk? Thanks for any advise on this.

Sincerely,
Brian
RBrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: SW-motech luggage rack and JC Whitney topcase

Post by RBrider »

I have the Motech rack on a 919 Honda. It's German made and fits well. The mounting area should take just about any topcase, it's looks like it's designed to be pretty universal.

That said, if I were you, I'd look for a used oem rack and side case mounts. That's what I have on my Rockster (which is the same as your bike) and it'll be hard to improve on that setup.

Check with ebay, Graigs list or places like BeemerBoneyard for used oem stuff.

RB
jobooth321
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: SW-motech luggage rack and JC Whitney topcase

Post by jobooth321 »

Not sure about that exact model, but I've got a full set of SW-Motech racks on my '05 Rockster. They look fairly industrial. The pic you linked looks pretty cool! Mine is built like a brick s h i t house though. Good stuff.

I've got Hepco Becker cases on mine and love 'em, btw. They make a topcase with a backrest. fyi...
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx