BMW's Oil Contradiction [Not an Oil Thread!!]

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

ebincia
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

BMW's Oil Contradiction [Not an Oil Thread!!]

Post by ebincia »

In its maintenance literature BMW recommends Castrol oil products for use in its motorcycle engines. However, the Spectro Oil company produces BMW brand (labeled) oil. It seems paradoxical that they would recommend the consumer use one product and then endorse another item by wrapping the BMW label around it.
Personally, I believe that both Castrol and Spectro are excellent and equal products, so this is not an "Oil Thread" about oil quality or personal oil preference.

My questions: what is BMWs rationale for furnishing this conflicting information? Is Castrol somehow connected to Spectro
goomicoo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: BMW's Oil Contradiction [Not an Oil Thread!!]

Post by goomicoo »

Follow the money :lol:
Atlantic Blue
2002 R1150R
The bumble bee's gone
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

While Spectro makes BMW's oil, I read that it is not formulated the same as Spectro oil (has different additives).

The Castrol oil BMW recommends for our engines is the European variant, I think it's called "Actevo".
That oil still contains the high concentrations of extreme wear additives (esp. zinc phosphate) that US oils reduced to improve emissions since the SL specification. This is why BMW requires use of oils graded no higher than SG/SH in our motors to maintain the warranty. Castrol sells a motorcycle oil called "4T" in the US meeting this specification.

Disclaimer: I have no interests in Castrol products other than I use them because I like them.
Rich
ADIOS!
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

It's still an oil thread.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
ebincia
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ebincia »

MikeCam wrote:It's still an oil thread.

Maybe it is .
However,my original question was more about a contradiction in marketing than about oil.