considering purchasing R1200R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

tucker
Basic User

considering purchasing R1200R

Post by tucker »

Did a test ride on a 2010 R1200R yesterday. I have a few questions for those who are familiar with this bike. I am only familiar with a Yamaha FZ1.

I noticed engine/bike vibration at idle, which seem to go away over 2000 rpm's. Is this a characteristic of this bike?

The bike I test rode had 5 miles on it, and the header pipes had already discolored. Is this normal?

How difficult is it to change the final drive oil?

Thanks in advance
TAG-Caver
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: considering purchasing R1200R

Post by TAG-Caver »

Yes, the vibes go away once you get the revs up a bit. The pipes will discolor, but there are cleaning products/techniques to shine them up. The FD oil change on a 2010 should be fairly easy since the oil plug is in the proper position, 6 o'clock. The earlier models required dropping the final drive which meant a rear wheel removal. It may not be a bad idea to drop the FD once in a while to grease the splines.
2008 R1200R
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I think your comparing apples and oranges. The Beemer has 600cc in each cylinder and the engine puts out 109 HP, that's a big bang when that spark plug(s) fires. It's unfair to compare it to an inline four. Maybe better to compare it to a Harley 1200cc V-Twin that if in proper tune puts out maybe 60 HP. Now that's a vibration.

Changing rear drive oil on the newer R1200Rs is straight forward. Drain the old out, dump the new in. Use new crush washers.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

mogu83 wrote:I think your comparing apples and oranges. The Beemer has 600cc in each cylinder and the engine puts out 109 HP, that's a big bang when that spark plug(s) fires. It's unfair to compare it to an inline four. Maybe better to compare it to a Harley 1200cc V-Twin that if in proper tune puts out maybe 60 HP. Now that's a vibration.

Changing rear drive oil on the newer R1200Rs is straight forward. Drain the old out, dump the new in. Use new crush washers.
HAH! That's funny Harry! My wife bought me an Electra Glide for my birthday this year and when I took her on her first ride on it she looked at me with horror in her eyes and using some colorful language asked me if the engine should be vibrating as though it were going to fall out of the frame :lol:

To the OP, yeah the R12R is a little vibey at idle but goes away after you get it revved up some. This is my first BMW and the thing I noticed when I first rode mine (bought without a test ride) was that it felt like the thing was on marbles when coming to a stop. When I took it in for the 600mi service I asked the tech about it and his response was "does it feel like a baby tankslapper?" me:yes, Tech:"This is your first BMW?" me: yes, Tech :badgrin: you'll get used to it. The feel of the opposed twin just felt odd to me after years of inline 4cylinders. I never notice it now
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

mogu83 wrote:I think your comparing apples and oranges. The Beemer has 600cc in each cylinder and the engine puts out 109 HP, that's a big bang when that spark plug(s) fires. It's unfair to compare it to an inline four.
Two thumpers dancing in sync, it's a thing of beauty.

I've had inline 4's, big bore thumpers and now my R12R. Nothing I've found beats the character of the R12R. I agree it's unfair to compare the boxer to an inline four - unfair to the inline four that is.

cheers,
azimuth551
Basic User

Post by azimuth551 »

I can't believe that you walked away after riding the beast. For most of us, the deal was closed that very same day! I love this bike, you can do everything with it! I did a two week ride up to the North West with my wife on the back and it was perfect. This bike is so versatile, you won’t think about owning another one! Join the club of proud owners that like to ride. Oh, it seams to smooth out the more miles you ride.

Brent
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

I noticed engine/bike vibration at idle, which seem to go away over 2000 rpm's. Is this a characteristic of this bike? YES

The bike I test rode had 5 miles on it, and the header pipes had already discolored. Is this normal? YES

How difficult is it to change the final drive oil? NOT AT ALL
Last edited by Ric on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
lynnboyd
Lifer

Post by lynnboyd »

tucker wrote:Did a test ride on a 2010 R1200R yesterday. I have a few questions for those who are familiar with this bike. I am only familiar with a Yamaha FZ1.
I'm curious as to how the R1200R compares to the FZ1 as that is the other bike I was considering last year. I ended up buying the BMW because of the ABS and never rode the FZ1. Couldn't be happier with the R1200R, though.

Lynn
2007 R1200R, Memphis Shades Alley Cat, Sargent seat, Givi PLX cases
1981 KZ1100A1
tucker
Basic User

Post by tucker »

Thanks for the response. I will let the group know my decision.

Concerning the FZ1, the bike is smooth and powerful, one draw back, can not see past your shoulders with the mirrors.

You may ask why look at another bike, had the FZ1 for 5 years and am ready for something different.
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

In terms of the pipes coloring, most people take pride in it--sort of like the patina on a well broken in leather jacket.

hbrandan
Basic User

Post by hbrandan »

I've had my R12R for almost 2 years now, and I couldn't be happier.
I love the fact that you don't see so many of us out there, makes us unique. I do all the service myself, and changing the final drive oil is very straight forward. You can buy on ebay the full service manuals CD for less than $10
Even a valve adjustment is a walk in the park, with the cylinder head being so out there in the open.
My only complaint is the seat!! I ended up buying a Corbin seat, my ass just couldn't take it anymore.
Good luck and have fun with your new ride.
rokinrider
Basic User

Post by rokinrider »

The R12R is like a good wiskey MMMM it gets smoother with age:). Jet hot coating on the header pipe and maintenance is no prob! I prefer servicing my R bike to the messy job of changing my oil and filter on my Harley. :-k
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
sky_sailor
Basic User

Post by sky_sailor »

hbrandan wrote:I've had my R12R for almost 2 years now, and I couldn't be happier.
I love the fact that you don't see so many of us out there, makes us unique. I do all the service myself, and changing the final drive oil is very straight forward. You can buy on ebay the full service manuals CD for less than $10
Even a valve adjustment is a walk in the park, with the cylinder head being so out there in the open.
My only complaint is the seat!! I ended up buying a Corbin seat, my ass just couldn't take it anymore.
Good luck and have fun with your new ride.
I'm pretty sure Corbin pays a slight royalty to all motorcycle manufactures to prevent them from building decent seats! If you buy a BMW, SAAB Volvo etc., you get GREAT seats. Corbin, and a few others make GREAT seats. NO motorcycle manufacturer builds anything but CRAP seats. Why else would this be?
Lyle
When in doubt, chicken out...
Mark_1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 875

Post by Mark_1 »

[quote="rockbottom"]In terms of the pipes coloring, most people take pride in it--sort of like the patina on a well broken in leather jacket.

Hey, I resemble that remark. :D I like the light brown color of the SS pipes. Vibes? What vibes?

The R12R just gets better and better.
Mark_1
"... Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." Frank Lloyd Wright
RT-Mike
Basic User

Post by RT-Mike »

tucker,with only 5 miles on the test ride bike...that thing is brand new.

It takes 20-30K miles for a boxer engine to break in...she will become as smooth as silk and purr like a tigress in time.

The 12R is my third bike in less than a year,the best "all rounder,do everything I need bike" she is a keeper.

Well,everything except for the stock seat ;) but,the fun factor needle is pegged most of the time :D
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

RT-Mike wrote: t takes 20-30K miles for a boxer engine to break in...she will become as smooth as silk and purr like a tigress in time.
I used to laugh in disbelief when I heard people say this kind of thing. But it's true in my experience. I'm only up to 12K miles on my 2010 R12R and the engine is just now starting to loosen up. I figure I'll be close to 20K before the :break-in" is complete. I tend to push the engine from time to time to punctuate the rides between long bouts of being responsible. Shame I had to stop riding two months ago - too cold for me - no cold weather gear.

cheers,
RT-Mike
Basic User

Post by RT-Mike »

Jed wrote:
RT-Mike wrote: t takes 20-30K miles for a boxer engine to break in...she will become as smooth as silk and purr like a tigress in time.
I used to laugh in disbelief when I heard people say this kind of thing. But it's true in my experience. I'm only up to 12K miles on my 2010 R12R and the engine is just now starting to loosen up. I figure I'll be close to 20K before the :break-in" is complete. I tend to push the engine from time to time to punctuate the rides between long bouts of being responsible. Shame I had to stop riding two months ago - too cold for me - no cold weather gear.

cheers,

I hear ya,my last ride was before Thanksgiving....hasn't been out of the 20's here for over a week,and the forecast isn't too promising :(
PhilSB
Basic User

Post by PhilSB »

Are BMw still doing chrome pipes? If you want pretty, go for that option.
I've had my bike coming up 4 years and I love it. I don't have a big problem with the seat, I must have more inbuilt padding than some :D

Here in the UK we've had minus12 - 19degrees C and 16 inches of snow so my bike is still covered in flies in the garage. I should have washed it before the wintery weather came, and there's more due this weekend :cry:

Phil