Throttle body sync and idle adjustment on 04 R1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

johngellis
Basic User

Throttle body sync and idle adjustment on 04 R1150R

Post by johngellis »

I was planning to check/adjust idle and injector synchronization on my 2004 R1150R. According to the Clymer workshop manual (page 95 in my copy) it states for R850C, all R1150 and R1200C models. this service must be done by a dealer using a "MoDiToC unit". Is this true?

John
MoonBeemer
Basic User

Re: Throttle body sync and idle adjustment on 04 R1150R

Post by MoonBeemer »

Yes of course take your fine machine to the nearest stealership. Ok sorry, I really feel that basic maintenance can be done best by a trainer OWNER! The stealerships move machines in and out as quickly as possible to make the money it takes to keep them profitable. With a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude, a few tools and bit of training all owners can do a better job than the stealerships. Usually, the Throttle body sync and idle adjustment can be done best by you. If you lived near Colorado Springs, I would be willing to come over and show you how this is done. What color is your R1150R? Check the link below for instructions on how to do the work yourselves.
www.advrider.com/Wisdom/TBS4Dv1.0.pdf
2004 R1150R
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

Great article / link MoonBeemer.
Any chance you have a link to the index of the articles at ADV / Wisdom? I'd love to see what other articles they have but I couldn't find an index or anything via the search function @ ADV.
Thanks in advance.

cheers,
MoonBeemer
Basic User

Post by MoonBeemer »

Here is the link for the Hall of Wisdom. There is a lot to learn there.
http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/
Here is another good one
http://home.mindspring.com/~jabrooks/
2004 R1150R
johngellis
Basic User

Post by johngellis »

I purchased a Carbtune today from the BemmerShop in Scotts Valley. After I warmed it up, the actual adjustment took less than 5 minutes. The Carbtune is really easy to use - no battery, no set up

The adjustment wasn't all that far out but now the tick over is bit faster and more even, and has smoother acceleration. Pulls nicely from tick over. This is the only BMW I have ever ridden and wasn't sure what to expect. To be honest I was a bit disappointed when I first purchased it last April (with 2k miles). It was difficult to ride in traffic due to lack of smooth power below 2000rpm. Now with 14k on the clock (with standard maintenance and acting on the advice from this group) I am starting to understand what all the fuss is about. Its a really nice bike

John
MoonBeemer
Basic User

Post by MoonBeemer »

I felt the same way when I first started riding my R1150R. Part of the problem was that the stealership had done a poor job on the valve adjustment (way too tight) and the Throttle Body Sync had been botched. After I adjusted the valves and Throttle Bodies, she rode far smoother, and I love the sound of the power plant at 4000 rpm in 6th gear. It is an unexcelled machine. Take care.
2004 R1150R