Summer's gone...

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce H
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Summer's gone...

Post by Bruce H »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer's gone... 10/24/2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This past weekend Oregon had its first storm of the season. With forecast winds of fifty miles per hour along the beach and several feet of snow in the mountains, summer is gone for sure. By early morning the winds have diminished somewhat, still raining though. Inclement weather rides are an acquired taste and something only a few riders enjoy. All summer I have been basking in the warm sunshine of the Oregon desert, now it is rain and wind on the beach. There is very little traffic and no other motorcycle riders for sure.

when the ocean is just right these horns "spout?...

I like to leave about an hour before daylight, in this way I have the highway to myself, today I am a bit late. Crossing the Yaquina and Alsea river bridges reminds me the wind is still blowing steady out of the southwest. The highway meanders in and out of sand hills protecting me from a direct wind hit. The rain lets up and I stop for some photo ops. At this outcropping I check the wind speed, only eighteen miles an hour here, bet crossing the bridges it was higher, still I need both feet on the ground for balance. I head for Stonefield Beach.

Stonefield Beach, south of Yachats...

Heceta Head beach and lighthouse...

A bit farther I stop at Heceta Head, there is a park under the bridge and a break from the wind. This park, its beach and light house are popular photo opportunities, today it is empty. There are seagulls taking a bath in the creek and many waiting on the beach. It is not difficult to guess the impending weather based on where the sea birds are, they know.

wonder if the Romans had anything to do with building this bridge?...

I circle back around, cross the bridge, thru the tunnel and stop just above Sea Lion Caves. This outcropping affords a good view of the ocean, lighthouse and the approaching weather. There is no one here, just a seagull and me.

the seagull and me...

On my return I go off road a bit into the forested hills of the Coast Range. Sometimes heavy rains and high winds push trees down and block the roads, not today. There are a lot of derbies but nothing major and what wind there was is soaked up by the trees. I stop along a stream for some pictures, then it's back to the highway.

The wind is picking up and is a bit blustery as I return to the pavement. Just a few miles ahead the calm of the day ceases. There is thunder, lightening, wind and torrents of rain but no traffic for me to contend with. I make it thru and out the other side. The rain has stopped but still a stout wind lingers as I cross over the bridge at Yaquina Bay, almost home. Here in Newport we have gotten almost an inch and half of rain over the last twenty four hours, a bit south in Coos Bay they had over three inches.

Riding a deserted highway along the beach and soaking up the radiant heat of an electric liner
while being pelted with rain, still warm and snug in your suit...

It's hard to describe what the beach is like in these conditions "incredible" doesn't do it justice, it's something you just have to experience.
Hopefully a dry place awaits at rides end and some great food.

home mid afternoon and Maggie (one of four granddaughters) came to visit, how fun is that !...

thanks for riding along, Bruce H

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: Summer's gone...

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Thanks, Bruce. great essay...keep em coming

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Hey Bruce H-

Great photos and commentary. Gotta admit, we live in quite an amazing place.

Have to meet up sometime, perhaps with my airhead-riding-pal along for company (he's also a "Bruce H").

Mark
Oregon (Willamette Valley)
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Bruce H
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Bruce H »

Sweatmark,

I live in Newport, drop me an e-mail and we will meet up for coffee or lunch. Tomorrow I am off for Winchested Bay and pancakes for breakfast.

[email protected]
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Bruce-

Will do. I make regular calls at the Toledo mill.

Mark
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Great ride report, and your photos are inspiring. I could almost feel the cold and seaspray in your pictures!

Too bad for me I didn't go on up the Oregon coast back in June. Just too tired out by the time I made it to Oregon. I am contemplating a trip next June just to Oregon, bypassing the whole California scene, since I missed Sweatmark's hospitality and most of your beautiful state.
want2b
Basic User

Post by want2b »

great pics
thanks