Another Windshield Option

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

CapeBeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Another Windshield Option

Post by CapeBeemer »

Like many people I was not very happy with the windshield possibilities out there; my R came with the "touring" shield which was fine for back roads and in town but not much good for highway speed or below 45 degrees. I tried a Cee Bailey 18 inch screen and the buffeting was pretty bad. So I contacted Mark at California Scientific to see if he was interested in making a shield for the R; he was and after testing three prototypes for him it seems they have something that works very well, for me anyway. I am 5'6" and the shield produces no buffeting (up to 85 anyway, I have not tested it above that yet) the top of my helmet is in clean air and a good amount of clean air comes around the sides for cooling. You can see photos on the Cal Sci site http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1200Rprod.html
Brian
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Re: Another Windshield Option

Post by deilenberger »

Brian,

What great news. I'm gonna order one (do you think I could get multiple $60 discounts for my collection of 5 different competitor's windshields? :lol: ) I had asked them about availability a year or so ago and at the time they had nothing available. Glad to hear you persued it!

Question - your inseam is? (I'm 5'7" on a tall day with a 27" inseam).. it looks from their chart that the medium would be the one to get.. but just wanted to check.

Question-II - clearance from the top of the post mounts to the windshield? Dunno if you've seen my modified BMW mount - I mounted my Navigator-III to the top of the mount.

http://www.eilenberger.net/R1200R_Roads ... _Mount.htm

My concern is how close is the windshield to the upper ends of the mount?

TIA!
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
NCGS
Basic User

Post by NCGS »

Brian, Great post.. and great info. I may just bite the bullet and try one, even tho' I am pretty happy w/ my 20" Cee Bailey's screen
CapeBeemer
Basic User

Post by CapeBeemer »

Don,
I also have a short inseam, about 28", with a medium seat I am on my toes.( It is always good to keep moving). After work I will get those measurements for you)
Brian
CapeBeemer
Basic User

Post by CapeBeemer »

Don,
The top of the mounts from center are 3/4 inch from the shield. Also, the shield I have is 20"( that number comes from comparing to the Cee Bailey)and I see over it.
Brian
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

CapeBeemer wrote:Don,
The top of the mounts from center are 3/4 inch from the shield. Also, the shield I have is 20"( that number comes from comparing to the Cee Bailey)and I see over it.
Brian
That means if you draw an imaginary line across between the top of the mounts the line is 3/4" away? That might just about do it.. mebbe. The VarioShield had a flat profile and I ended up bending it so it would clear the GPS.

The height sounds fine.. 20" is OK for me.
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

CapeBeemer -- I'm looking to buy a windshield and have looked at calsci before. The windshield your link took me to looks like the one I have seen before. How is this shield different from the one calsci had perhaps 3 months ago? It looks very close but a minor change could make a great difference.
Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

laimonas wrote:Hello. Great and useful information. Nice picture. What kind motorbike is?
Good morning and welcome to the forum. The photo is of a BMW R1200R, most versatile bike on the planet !. Go ride one but take not of my signature line below... :lol: The whole thing with a CalSci tall screen, and the BMW system cases mounted looks like this:

MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

ka5ysy wrote:
laimonas wrote:Hello. Great and useful information. Nice picture. What kind motorbike is?
Good morning and welcome to the forum!

The photo is of a BMW R1200R, most versatile bike on the planet !. Go ride one but take note of my signature line below... :lol: The whole thing with a CalSci tall screen, and the BMW system cases mounted looks like this:

MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Beam Me Up
Basic User

Post by Beam Me Up »

I heard the parabellum was the way to go with the r1200. I wouldn't know, but this dude I see at the gym all the time was talking it up big time. Any word on the Parabellum?? He said that it actually has higher safety standards as well if you were to somehow get in to an interstate accident or any kind of accident. There are motorcycle parts dealers listed on angies list as well, that can give recommendations.
Last edited by Beam Me Up on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Did somebody say Vroom?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

ka5ysy wrote:
ka5ysy wrote:
Good morning and welcome to the forum!

The photo is of a BMW R1200R, most versatile bike on the planet !. Go ride one but take note of my signature line below... :lol: The whole thing with a CalSci tall screen, and the BMW system cases mounted looks like this:

Ummmm.... you guys are just foolin' right? You did notice the spam links in the message...
caprug
Basic User

Post by caprug »

Beam Me Up wrote:I heard the parabellum was the way to go with the r1200. I wouldn't know, but this dude I see at the gym all the time was talking it up big time. Any word on the Parabellum??
I've got one of the standard Parabellum windshields and I like it. I have read here and believe it's true - that the best way to mount most of the windshields is with a block under the front of the bracket so that you can tilt the screen back at a better angle. Look in this forum for posts about it by a guy named Don.

Ditto the laimonas "buy codeine" spam.
2007 R1200R - Stealth Grey sold
2008 R1200GS sold
2012 R1200GS
Kieran R1200R
Basic User

Post by Kieran R1200R »

Now that you have found your magic screen! Why not have it perminately on the front page of the web site along with the magic seat so no one will have to ask about a screen or seat again.
That or to stop 85% of the crap that goes on this site asking about screens and seats! =D> =D> =D>
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Kieran R1200R wrote:That or to stop 85% of the crap that goes on this site asking about screens and seats! =D> =D> =D>
Bit crabby today? It isn't as if the traffic here is overwhelming lately..
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Kieran R1200R wrote:That or to stop 85% of the crap that goes on this site asking about screens and seats! =D> =D> =D>
Kieran you've only been on here a few years - imagine how many times us guy that have been on here since 2007 have heard about seats,windshields,GPS wiring, mirrors, rear drive fluid etc etc. Fortuniatly most of us realize that new people are buying new R1200Rs all the time and all this stuff is new to them. So being an amiable bunch of folk we're willing to help the new guys along. Using search is nice, but every now and then a 'new guy' comes up with a better answer to an old problem and wants to share, that's what this list is all about. I think.

As an example a few weeks ago a 'new guy' came up with an idea to install a carbon fiber A arm. I don't think anyone but the poster was interested but we discussed it.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358