Update on an old Fart

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Update on an old Fart

Post by towerworker »

Thought I'd post an update as I hit the occasional improvement milepost. It's been nearly 11 months since I last rode my R. After being being hit with Guilliam Barre Syndrome last May 17 it's been the toughest and most rewarding 11 months of my 56(young!!) years. I spent 7 months in various hospitals, followed by 2 months in a one-of-a-kind rehab facility and then the past month in out patient rehab (still on-going for many months). I've had to re-learn how to do every thing from how to bathe, dress and feed myself to relearn how to walk. Three days ago I passed my DMV behind the wheel test to drive again. I feel as if I've been let out of jail.

I suspect riding is still possibly a year away but that's ok, bike is in storage (guess I should check the antifreeze). The bike is my carrot at the end of a stick. I would again offer my thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Indeed had it not been for the prayers of family and my many friends I would not be alive today.

Thankyou!
Wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: Update on an old Fart

Post by angellr »

towerworker wrote:Thought I'd post an update as I hit the occasional improvement milepost. It's been nearly 11 months since I last rode my R. After being being hit with Guilliam Barre Syndrome last May 17 it's been the toughest and most rewarding 11 months of my 56(young!!) years. I spent 7 months in various hospitals, followed by 2 months in a one-of-a-kind rehab facility and then the past month in out patient rehab (still on-going for many months). I've had to re-learn how to do every thing from how to bathe, dress and feed myself to relearn how to walk. Three days ago I passed my DMV behind the wheel test to drive again. I feel as if I've been let out of jail.

I suspect riding is still possibly a year away but that's ok, bike is in storage (guess I should check the antifreeze). The bike is my carrot at the end of a stick. I would again offer my thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. Indeed had it not been for the prayers of family and my many friends I would not be alive today.

Thankyou!
Wayne
Wayne, excellent news!! Curious, did you receive a SWINE Flu vaccination before your disease? Also, was its onset rapid as other people have described? (hours, not days). Keep praying for you and yours. Hang in there!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
macx
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by macx »

Wow~ Didn't know just what your situation was.

That's gotta be a tough uphill battle, hats off to you for hanging in there!!
That takes a real man.

Glad to hear you're progressing - nice to know you've got your
"eye on the prize" - bike riding again.

Absolutely best of luck and keep pluggin - you'll make it~!!

Warmest regards
macx

And YOU'RE not so old - I've got 8 yrs on you.
Getting so it's tough to find anyone older on the jobsite anymore.
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

Wayne,

It's always great to hear that you are making progress. Keep it up. I hope that your wife is doing well also.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Dude!
Great news! Now, don't you get all c0cky n sh*t and start doing fishtails in the parking lot and donuts on the neighbor's lawn.

Congrats.

JOhn
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Thanks guys,
I really appreciate all the wishes and Iowabeakster----many thanks-she is doing pretty well I think, chemo treatment #2 is tomorrow. She is in good spirits all things considered. I shaved my head 3 wks ago in support of her. Although most would say it didn't require much effort to lose mine!

One day and one step at a time.

wayne
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

A friend in his 70's has made a decent 90% recovery from this syndrome with a fast (few days) onset. Largely due to the expertise of medical staff and follow up care in our wonderful NHS.
Good luck but it looks like the final 10% may not be achievable. Like me ,perhaps, start to think of a lighter bike when you are up to it.
Just too heavy at times.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Wayne,
Like most people replying here, I only know you through this forum but
I admire your determination touched with a sense of humour.
And yes please keep us informed as you reach your milestones
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

Wow Wayne...I had no idea you were ill. I also haven't been lurking around here much as of late.

Hope you heal well!

Scott
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311