2011 r1200r downunder

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

speedybrother
Basic User

2011 r1200r downunder

Post by speedybrother »

Dear Cyber Friends

I have had the 2011 R1200R SE for close to a month now, it is currently at the dealers for 1st service (1,000kms) and the fitting of panniers and polymer type head protectors.

My impression so far is an astounding WOW. The bike remains true to the naked BMW tradition of being quirky, yet appealing. My paint job is the new `light grey metalic' which for intended purpose looks like an undercoat (ready for paining). Handling is superb, brakes are just brillant, the standard Metzler tyres are confidence inspiring, the electonic suspension is a stand-out. The ergonomics are truthfully first class, such as handle bar width and height (except of the bloody awful house brick BMW calls a seat). I have attempted to buy a corbin and sargent seat over the net, but they both refuse to freight to Australia....evidently the GFC has faded away in the US of A and the good times have returned.

My Harley is rarely being used......yet the FLHR remains extemely comfortable and pillion friendly. I find myself thinking about the beemer regulary, not so with the Harley. More surprisingly, my Harley riding mates are now thinking of switching to beemers as well. The moto to this blog is `Harley's are good, but motor cycles are better'.

Regards
Speedybrother
Sydney :badgrin:
cutfinger
Basic User

Re: 2011 r1200r downunder

Post by cutfinger »

Hello Speedybrother,does the R1200R SE come with ABS & Electronic Suspension, as standard equipment, waiting for the local dealer to get one in stock to test ride,I am 163 cm tall with short arms,will puchase a lowered suspensin model,wondering if I will have to fit bar backs , how do you find the sit up position thanking you Cutfinger.
Peter1200r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Peter1200r »

Hi SB,
I bought a custom leather seat from Rick Mayer. He was happy to ship to Australia, and the seat is very comfortable. I bought a used seat from Rick, so I still have my stock seat for when I must leave the bike in the rain or in the sun, such as when commuting to work.

Btw, was that you heading southbound on the Pacific Highway near Berowra on the weekend?

Cheers,
Peter
2009 R1200R
Granite grey, sport screen, Rick Mayer seat
speedybrother
Basic User

Post by speedybrother »

Hi Guys

Firstly, Australian delivered Roadsters are delivered with ABS, Traction, ESA, sports screen and heated 2-stage hand grips. My experience with this purchase is that the dealer network are prepared to price match (which makes it possible to purchase from local dealer). The RRP isn't set in stone.

Thanks for the heads-up on the after market seat, I will check out their website.

As a matter of interest, has anyone else taken issue with the stock seat?

KR
Speedybrother
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

speedybrother wrote:Hi Guys
As a matter of interest, has anyone else taken issue with the stock seat?KR
Speedybrother
If that means 'didn't like' just do a search on 'seat' and be prepared for a long read.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Just sold my Corbin (didn't fit me or suit me). One of the guys who was after it mentioned a Corbin price of $580AUD delievered. Anyhow, the distributor is VPW Motorcycles 122-128 Cooper St Epping - Victoria 3076, ph 03 8405 9200 (their weblink on the Corbin site didn't work). Be prepared for a rough-and-ready underseat finish.

VPW were OK to deal with, and the seat took about 6 -8 weeks in our winter (so peak ridng seaon over there) - shipped to my door. They don't accept returns: they say they'll take the standard seats back, but that turned to bullsh*t as soon as I asked them to.

Try a BMW Comfort seat if you can stand the price at $700+ (still thinking).

I use an Airhawk on my OEM low seat and it's tolerable on longer rides (but not comfy!).
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
Radar in oz
Lifer

Post by Radar in oz »

speedybrother wrote:As a matter of interest, has anyone else taken issue with the stock seat?

KR
Speedybrother
I had no problem with the original seat up to 1000Km per day, (but I grew up riding trials bikes, which had 'seats' in those days!). However, my wife didn't like the pillion section so after trying a sheepskin, then an airhawk I had the seat redone by John Moorhouse, Ergo seats in Capalaba (Brisbane). He tailored the seat to our own particular requirements, did an excellent job, as he has done on at least three other seats I've seen re-worked by him.

Cheers
Peter
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

I have 2011 model with 'High Comfort Seat'. Find it more comfortable after standard 2009 seat, though have only done up to 100mls so far.

I am 5'7" and short legged and find putting feet down okay. Only problem is mounting bike where my leg catches pillion section and can destabilise one! Good idea to leave side stand down for safety.

What a great macine. So much more flexible and handling superior to 2009. Must be change to forks.

Brian
mvk
Lifer

Post by mvk »

Just picked mine up tonight after its 1000km service also - yay, more revs to play with.
As I said in a previous post, the stats don't give an indication of how great the bike feels in terms of both power delivery and handling compared to my 2007 model -it is an absolute delight.
What is not a delight for me is the so called comfort seat. I must be the only person in the known universe who could sit on the previous seat for 1000km+ with the only ache being my jaw from grinning so much.
Mind you I did ride 35 years on a Commando as shown in the recent photos below. (Sorry, any excuse to bring out the baby photos...)
ImageImage

Back to the Bavarian, the comfort seat feels a bit blancmangey and disconnected from the bike and I reckon it is lower than the previous due to its softness. So I might see the mob in Capalba to get a higher and slightly firmer seat made. Maybe some Oz rider who would like a new comfort seat would be prepared to swap as I only need the base really. A cash supplement to help pay for my new seat would be nice. Shame to pull a new seat apart really.

Anyway perhaps I will get used to the seat but I hope I never get used to this new baby.
Michael

PS mine came standard with Michelin PR2s, which I like, so yet another bonus.
Fjm
Basic User

Post by Fjm »

After what felt like an eternity since I ordered it, at long last a 2011 R1200R is in my hot hands. I say hot hands as the heated grips are doing a great job here in Sydney as the temperature tanks!
Having experienced only a demo 2010 R1200R before signing up for the 2011, I can simply summarize and say the 2011 is all over the 2010 by a good margin. The gearbox is smooth, the torque is phenomenal through the range and the brakes and handling are simply superb. The instrument panel is well set out and controls are functionally positioned well. I don’t mind the indicator set-up either. I have got used to the pots hanging out the side, but only after repeatedly bruising my chins in the process. I am happy with the seat (seriously, yes I am!!) and have only farkled a couple of pot covers, luggage grid and top case at this stage, all OEM. I also think the brushed stainless can sings a great tune on my bike. It’s certainly not a sewing machine. For me, the front sport screen is working well also.

I am still trying to work on the best technique to get this beast on its centre stand and it’s been a struggle to be quite honest. Any ideas?

In my estimation this is by far the best roadster available. I tried so many bikes before settling on this one and I know I have made the right decision on its selection. One I can keep for years and be very content with.

To prospective buyers, bite the bullet get the R1200R, there will be no need to look back!
2011 R1200R
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Fjm wrote:After what felt like an eternity since I ordered it, at long last a 2011 R1200R is in my hot hands. I say hot hands as the heated grips are doing a great job here in Sydney as the temperature tanks!
Having experienced only a demo 2010 R1200R before signing up for the 2011, I can simply summarize and say the 2011 is all over the 2010 by a good margin. The gearbox is smooth, the torque is phenomenal through the range and the brakes and handling are simply superb. The instrument panel is well set out and controls are functionally positioned well. I don’t mind the indicator set-up either. I have got used to the pots hanging out the side, but only after repeatedly bruising my chins in the process. I am happy with the seat (seriously, yes I am!!) and have only farkled a couple of pot covers, luggage grid and top case at this stage, all OEM. I also think the brushed stainless can sings a great tune on my bike. It’s certainly not a sewing machine. For me, the front sport screen is working well also.

I am still trying to work on the best technique to get this beast on its centre stand and it’s been a struggle to be quite honest. Any ideas?

In my estimation this is by far the best roadster available. I tried so many bikes before settling on this one and I know I have made the right decision on its selection. One I can keep for years and be very content with.

To prospective buyers, bite the bullet get the R1200R, there will be no need to look back!
Congrats!! To put bike on center stand, hold bike somewhat upright on the L side of the bike, bring stand down and make sure it is level on both sides ... then stand (thats it, just stand) on the center stand and the bike will go right up onto it.

Takes some getting used to, but you will get the hang of it.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Fjm wrote:I am still trying to work on the best technique to get this beast on its centre stand and it’s been a struggle to be quite honest. Any ideas?
I suspect the '11 is the same as prior years.

Put centerstand down, with your right foot on the pedal part of it. Grab the frame right behind the auxiliary outlet with your right hand, palm up. Face the side of the bike. Simultaneously transfer your weight to your right foot as you pull up with your right hand/arm. The bike will rise up just like magic.

The trick is to use your bodyweight. Even mine with shorter suspension (resulting in the rear wheel being at least 2" off the garage floor when on the stand) is easy to get up on the stand. Ones with normal length suspension are even easier.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Fjm
Basic User

Post by Fjm »

Thanks guys, I will give the techniques a try.
Cheers.
2011 R1200R
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Center stand. Start on the side stand. Then start to deploy the center stand. The trick is to make certain that the weight of the bike is on both legs of the center stand.

Rock the bike side to side and you will feel that it's right when the center stand has weight on both sides. Then comes the put foot on and lift thing...the trick is square it on the center std first.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

And leave the side stand down. If it starts to get away from you - you can pull it onto the side stand (MC shop owner taught me that..) I leave it down while wheeling it out of the garage - same reason.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

But then you trip over the side stand.....
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

There's a project for the member that is going to put a conventional type front end on his R1200R. After finishing that project it should be a simple matter to adapt the electric center stand from an LT onto the roadster - no problem.

I've always moved the bike around with the sidestand down and kept the sidestand down when the bike is on the center stand, figuring I had a 50/50 chance of landing on the stand if the bike got away from me. But now that you folk have me thinking about it - usually if it gets away while moving the bike around the garage it goes to the right side (not sidestand side) and once it goes more than a few degrees only Superman could get it back.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

mogu83 wrote:There's a project for the member that is going to put a conventional type front end on his R1200R. After finishing that project it should be a simple matter to adapt the electric center stand from an LT onto the roadster - no problem.

I've always moved the bike around with the sidestand down and kept the sidestand down when the bike is on the center stand, figuring I had a 50/50 chance of landing on the stand if the bike got away from me. But now that you folk have me thinking about it - usually if it gets away while moving the bike around the garage it goes to the right side (not sidestand side) and once it goes more than a few degrees only Superman could get it back.
I had a driveway tip over this way, and yes Harry, you are correct. Love those Head guards. Tail light had to be replaced. OTOH, I keep stand down while moving bike around and it has saved my bacon several times.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Fjm
Basic User

Post by Fjm »

Happy to report that I managed to apply forum member techniques successfully and the beast got on the centre stand . I did also consider it best to leave side stand down as an extra bit of insurance. Thanks again.
2011 R1200R