Where to avoid riding, right now. Tornado damaged areas?

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

PrinceBooger
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Where to avoid riding, right now. Tornado damaged areas?

Post by PrinceBooger »

PrinceBooger here. My wench and I will be traveling through Alabama, Missisippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennesee, North Carolina, and Georgia. I have had no success finding where the many tornadoes have touched down within these states. NOAA, weather web-sites, etc. have not been of any help. I'm leaving in 2 weeks for this trip. All I know for sure is avoid Tuskaloosa, AL. Any help on this will be appreciated.
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Re: Where to avoid riding, right now. Tornado damaged areas?

Post by Boxer »

I will be traveling through Alabama, Missisippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennesee, North Carolina, and Georgia
Well, that's a lot of riding for sure. Steer clear of Ringgold, GA, up near Chattanooga just off I-75 north. The only other roads affected in north Georgia, AFAIK, are over around Lake Burton in the NE quadrant of the state. That would be GA 197.
There was a swath of damage south of Atlanta running right across I-75 at one point, but traveling is normal there now.
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

I'm pretty sure all the roads are clear of tornado damage here in AR. I-40 was closed for a while due to flooding, but opened up now both ways. Go here for reports on AR highwayshttp://www.arkansashighways.com/. There's a link off this page showing flooded highways. Not too many of significance, unless the creeks rise again.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Xdot »

Prince,

I'm from North Alabama and can tell you, you are fine anywhere you go in this state. You may see some damaged houses but will have no trouble with roads or lodging. Yes, there was extensive damage but tornados cut a relatively narrow path and this isn't North Korea. We get things cleaned up pretty fast in this country. Good luck on your trip.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster