? for BMW/Ztecknic Touring/Sport screen users

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

? for BMW/Ztecknic Touring/Sport screen users

Post by Keppelj »

I have just swapped out the sport for the touring screen to give my arms a rest, took a ride and came home wondering which I prefer. Looks and bike handling l like the sport best; freeway speeds, the touring. I can imagine myself swapping these back and forth a bit. How practical is it to pull and reuse the black rubber plugs some, leaving the bracketing in place? Do they tolerate multiple reuse?
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Re: ? for BMW/Ztecknic Touring/Sport screen users

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

who knows. they may or they may not. You may find yourself with a half attached screen flopping at highway speeds because a well nut failed, or they may be just fine.

I wound up replacing a screen--went to the 380 tall which is screwed in-- because of REPEATED AND CONTINUOUS well nut failure. get replacemnts at lowes or home depot. I think well-nuts put a whole lot of faith in friction to counteract other aspects of physics.
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
AirForceDirt
Basic User

Post by AirForceDirt »

I've used the Ztecknic sport screen and repeatedly removing and reinstalling the screen, well-nuts and all and have never had a failure. I've had the bracket bolts work themselves loose multiple times though. Red-locktite is about the only thing that holds the brackets in place. If you lose a well-nut, you can always call up Ztecknic and order a new parts bag that includes four new ones.
Keppelj
Lifer

Post by Keppelj »

I've already swapped back to the Sport with relief though I did pull a wellnut apart in the process. Then dug it out with a pick and drill. You have both prepared me for a long term relationship with this, I guess. I'll take your advice and order some backups. I haven't yet had a problem yet with loosening brackets. Thanks.
duegi
Lifer

Post by duegi »

I did the same for a while changing between a sport and touring screen while replacing well nuts when needed. Just got tired of it after a while and was looking for other options. My local shop brought the Givi AF49 windscreen to my attention.
Last edited by duegi on Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett
May your friction coefficient always be constant...
Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Xdot »

I have found it to be ridiculously easy to go back and forth between the BMW fly screen (almost naked riding) and the Parabellum SuperTour (80% decrease in wind noise and buffeting). It's like a five minute 'swap'. It is possible because I can just leave the fly screen on, and I don't have to remove the lower, SuperTour brackets. With a few mods I bet I can get the install time to less than two minutes and NO tools. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I started with the touring, then went to the sport, and have had the fly screen on for about 3.5 years now. It works the best for me. There was a change to longer well nuts around 2004, and that helped with the problem of losing them. I used the medium grade of locktite on the upper right bracket of the sport/touring screen mount, because I got tired of it getting loose.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Keppelj
Lifer

Post by Keppelj »

Jeff, what's good about the fly screen? Don't know about that one.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I use the fly screen as well. It is low profile. Protects the gauges without obstructing vision. Smoothes out the airstream and reduces buffeting. Looks good, too. I had a Sport Screen and a Cee Bailey's and both produced horrible buffeting at the base of my helmet. The fly screen with tank wings gives a pretty comfortable ride for most conditions.
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
kantuckid
Basic User

Post by kantuckid »

I guess it's all about what "you" want, but for me I really see fly screens as very similar to hood ornaments,i.e., all about looks. I have seen long time riders that used their windshields for stickers much like a rear window or bumper and a few that had them covered. I'm short and use a touring screen and am not hindered by seeing through it as it's too low. I would have to ride l crotch rocket style to be hampered by WS blockage but more importantly it does keep wind & rain off my body though, which a fly screen does not.
BeemerBen
Basic User

Post by BeemerBen »

Xdot wrote:I have found it to be ridiculously easy to go back and forth between the BMW fly screen (almost naked riding) and the Parabellum SuperTour (80% decrease in wind noise and buffeting). It's like a five minute 'swap'. It is possible because I can just leave the fly screen on, and I don't have to remove the lower, SuperTour brackets. With a few mods I bet I can get the install time to less than two minutes and NO tools. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.
I'd like to see some pics if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.
two wheel tango
Lifer

Post by two wheel tango »

Tried to buy online from sjbmw... They say it's discontinued. Touring is available but not the sport screen :(
Keppelj
Lifer

Post by Keppelj »

I found Z-technic quite reasonable and ordered wellnuts from them. A buck or so apiece. I didn't find the exact spec either from Lowes or Home Depot, but I did find some - about a half inch too short - from a BMW dealer - for $5 apiece! I'm happy with the Sport for the summer, but the Touring screen will be welcome when ambient temps settle back to 45 again.
Keppelj
Lifer

Post by Keppelj »

Two wheel, you know these screens originated with Ztecnik and that BMW bought rights to sell them emblazoned with the rondel? Ztecknic still sells the Sport you're after:

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/ ... del=bm-025
two wheel tango
Lifer

Post by two wheel tango »

Thanks for the link - Just dropped them an email.