First motorcycle tour - Seattle WA to Santa Rosa CA

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

scootrr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 967

First motorcycle tour - Seattle WA to Santa Rosa CA

Post by scootrr »

I was fortunate enough to have clients that would pay for my ride down to Santa Rosa for a meeting :D. This was my first long motorcycle trip ever. My other trips have been local day trips. The trip was 2080 miles round trip with some side routes included. Stayed on the super-slab through Washington and most of Oregon until Eugene where I headed for the coast. Favorite ride of the trip was on Rt 1 from Leggett. No camping this time around since it was my first motorcycle trip though I will be ready to pack the camping gear next time. I'll definitely take more time to go down and stay off the super-slab next time. I spent three days riding down, two days with relatives, one day with the clients and three days riding back up. When I got back I found my rear tire to be warn much thinner than I expected. I had Dunlop Qualifiers on the bike. I just put Michelin PR3's on and really do feel grippier, I've been riding around with them in the rain the past couple of days. Hopefully I'll get more mileage out of these.
Here's a video I made of the trip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d55nZOaY5o

Edit: Sorry you'll have to copy/paste the URL
or
click on the link "Open this content in a new window" on the following page
Last edited by scootrr on Fri May 27, 2011 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: First motorcycle tour - Seattle WA to Santa Rosa CA

Post by sweatmark »

Great video. Great trip.

If you enjoyed the Leggett/CA1 segment, then by all means take CA36 from Red Bluff to the coast next time. Since you've done the Oregon coast from Florence to Crescent City, you can skip some tedium (and endless RVs) next trip by grinding down I-5 into Cali and then savoring the moto-spectacle that NorCal.

And let us know when you might head this way next trip, so we can tag along!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
scootrr
Lifer
Donating Member #: 967

Post by scootrr »

Sweatmark, thanks for the great tip re: CA36 - just looked it up and sounds like a VERY fun road! Indeed I will give you a heads up next time I am heading south again. Cheers!
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

CA36 - just looked it up and sounds like a VERY fun road!
Yes, if you enjoyed the single lane roller coaster through the woods from Leggett to the coast, then you will enjoy similar on CA36, plus sweepers, etc. I'm a broken record when it comes to my beloved CA36:

Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

Excellent video. I might have shot outside the windscreen for a crisper image, but the editing and soundtrack were very well done.

Steve
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.