R1100S advice

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

jniels
Basic User

R1100S advice

Post by jniels »

I am looking at buying a 2000 R1100S non-ABS for $5800. It has 21,000 miles on it. The clear coat on the front fender is wrinkled, and the battery is currently not holding a charge...Bike won't start unless trickle charged for 5 hours and then it might not start again even if you've ridden it. It started out red but was repainted silver by the first of 3 owners. The carbon canister has been eliminated and it has a TBR exhaust (loud) on it. Something has taken the shine off of the rear carbon fiber fender, not sure what could have caused it this? One other thing...It's been through the drive shaft spline ordeal and the transmission was repaired and clutch replaced at 17,000 miles at a cost of $2100. I have asked to see the receipt for that repair along with the other service receipts for service performed at Sierra BMW in Reno. It comes with side cases, tank bag, seat bag, and a venting machine jacket a pants. The bike was originally listed locally for $6500, and I offered $5800. I have a $500 deposit on the bike. Since writing the deposit check, the battery has died and won't really hold much of a charge. I enjoyed my test ride, hence my offer. However, with the bike not starting, I am having a bit of buyers remorse. My questions then, and I'm looking for short honest answers...1) What should I be looking for in the way of potential problems...I'm not looking for a project, but I don't mind an occasional small repair. 2) Have I offered too much for the bike I've described above? Thanks in advance for your kind advice. Cheers, JN