Intro of Wilma my white R1200R.

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

LeonardoNYC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Intro of Wilma my white R1200R.

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Very sorry to hear about Mike Camellitti and will keep him and his family in prayers.
Wanted to post a pic of my new R. So after my 2007 flat grey R12R was stolen in Jan 2010, I was without a bike till last Friday when I took delivery of Wilma, my white 2009 R1200R. Wilma's a looker for sure and will post more photos once farkles are added but below is a quick peek. I was lucky to get a 2009 that was a dealer demo so the bike is technically new, comes with full 3 year warranty, and got it without the side cases but with the luggage rack, clear turn signals, ABS heated grips , computer etc for US$13,500. Slightly more than I wanted to pay but hey we only live twice right? Basically I got one of the other two colors I wanted (the blue being the other one) and got it at Max BMW outside of Danbury CT and those guys are really great. My mother always said if you can't say something good about something don't say it at all, so I won't say anything about BMW Corporate dealer in Manhattan.

Now while white may not be the fastest color, I do like it and riding home to Manhattan from CT, I took a detour through the south bronx which isn't nearly as bad at it once was. I was stopped at a red light somewhere around 145th street in the bronx when a latino man was crossing the street and stopped and said to me, "man that's a really nice looking bike." Being a cowboy fan from the late 70s and early 80s it reminds me of their old uniforms and I have half a mind to put a star on the tank, a number "12R adjacent to it and "Staubach" underneath it--but I doubt I will.

Looking for a good pre owned R1200R was not easy, and finding a non black one made it tougher. Checking craigslist and cycletrader everyday within a 500 mile radius was tedious work. Nothing against black but my first real car was a black 1984 Rabbitt GTI and man it would not be five minutes after you washed it that it would get dirty , so I kind of vowed never to own a black vehicle again, especially living in Manhattan where we don't have hoses to do a quick wash.
Picking up stock bmw bags and a the proper luggage racke with the top case plate next week so I can get back to some touring like I used to do.
So here she is..Wilma, say hi to everyone here:
(She says hi)

ContraMoto
Basic User

Re: Intro of Wilma my white R1200R.

Post by ContraMoto »

White is very, very nice. I was looking for white or black with stripes...found the latter first.

Congrats, and keep her locked up!
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
nylife
Lifer
Donating Member #: 956

Post by nylife »

hi Wilma, your NY twin says hello
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects handlebars to the saddle.
2009 R12R
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

Welcome, Wilma!

I ride a 2009 Alpine White, also.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

The R12R is pretty in any color but it really is striking in Alpine White.

Congrat's on your new ride!
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

Nice that it has a comfort seat instead of the stock discomfort seat. I'm wondering if it was the touring special edition with the side cases removed, since that came with the comfort seat?
xcell1600
Basic User

Post by xcell1600 »

Very nice bike indeed! What options came on it?

If anyone is interested I have a comfort seat I am looking to sell. No reasonable offer will be refused.
ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

rockbottom wrote:Nice that it has a comfort seat instead of the stock discomfort seat. I'm wondering if it was the touring special edition with the side cases removed, since that came with the comfort seat?
That's a standard seat, not the special "comfort" seat. Different tail section; different material. Note the little detent in the side...

Looks like a low standard seat...
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

Yeah, you're right. If the OP wants a standard seat, I've got one laying around.
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

I fancy the white, myself.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
NakedRider
Basic User

Post by NakedRider »

Good year and a great color. Best of luck with her.
BMW R1200R - White
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

White is the new black. It's the hotness, baby.
Bill
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Benefit of white bikes : People think you are the Police !.
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
LeonardoNYC
Basic User

Post by LeonardoNYC »

Sugar. I am six feet tall and didn't think I had the low seat and my invoice says standard seat but this was a demo bike so who knows if someone swapped a seat? Is there a way to tell which seat I have? Maybe a marking under the seat?

Thanks
Last edited by LeonardoNYC on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

It's hard to tell from the photo--it depends on how deep the indents on the side are. I have my regular one here and, unfortunately, the numbers on the bottom don't correspond to the numbers on the parts fiche http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... ?vid=51804
ContraMoto
Basic User

Post by ContraMoto »

LeonardoNYC wrote:Sugar. I am six feet tall and didn't think I had the low seat and my invoice says standard seat but this was a demo bike so who knows if someone swapped a seat? Is there a way to tell which seat I have? Maybe a marking under the seat?

Thanks
Actually, that is probably a standard height. The low does not have the detents in the sides...

My bike (bought used) had a low seat. I swapped it out for a high seat, but now I want a standard. I'm 6' also...
'07 R12R Black w/stripes
North Cali
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Looks like a standard seat to me.. the height above the dart in the side of the seat gives it away.

Did you also get the white pinstripes? They make hotness even hotter!

Nice bike. My 3rd fav R12R color (red, black/white, white.. and then everything else.. NTTAWWT..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Faylo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 978

Post by Faylo »

When I first saw the Alpine White, I knew that was the color I wanted. And I got one! :D I get compliments all of time. And it is usually dirty to boot. As to the fastest color, there is a reason for the term "White Lightning"!
-Jim

I forgot to add, welcome!
2010 BMW R1200R Alpine White (Need another. :()
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
Mark_1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 875

Post by Mark_1 »

Wilma and Leonardo, welcome to the group.

I also have a 2009 in white. Great bike and great color! The dealer had a white 2009 and a blue 2010 in the shop when I got mine. I took the white one and have not regretted it for one minute. I think you'll be happy with the white as well. Congrats!

Mark_1
"... Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." Frank Lloyd Wright