Attaching Other Bags to BMW Side & Top Cases

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Ric
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Attaching Other Bags to BMW Side & Top Cases

Post by Ric »

I have an '10 R1200R with BMW side & Top cases. I need more room when the GF is on board. A tank bag is obviouse. However, I've worked out a way to easily strap a soft bag atop my top case.

Has alse anyone done this ?
Anyone strapped a bag onto the top of the BMW side cases ?

Looking for ideas....
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Attaching Other Bags to BMW Side & Top Cases

Post by ka5ysy »

I do it with some waterproof dive bags to keep stuff dry and to make some arm rests for the SO. Only thing to watch is to not overload them. The stated limit (somebody correct me ...) is about 25 pounds as I recall. That is the internal load and anything on it too. You also need to watch the bike GVWR shown in the operator manual and the VIN plate under the seat.

That said, the large top case and the two side cases should give you a sufficient capacity for a nice camping trip or whatever. You have to train the women to realize they do not need all the war paint, hair drier, and enough clothes and shoes to stay away for 3 months. [-o<
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

poopaxy wrote:How can i get the limited lock setting off my bmw without a master key? Its a 1993 318is bmw. The owners manual says you need a master key( which i have no clue why the door and iginition doesn't work) to unlock it from this limited setting, but i dont have one. Is there any way that i cna get the trunk open and unlocked without going to get it fixed?

:lol:
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Re: Attaching Other Bags to BMW Side & Top Cases - 1993BMW 3

Post by fastdogs2 »

Talk about confusing your forums. He needs to go to Bimmer.com.

A 1993 318is doesn't even have iDrive, so we can't help him.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
rockbottom
Basic User

Post by rockbottom »

Ironically, a 1993 318i that I owned led me 16 years later to BMW motorcycles.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Although I don't have an answer for the top case, 2 up camping can happen well with the Joe's UPac.

http://www.josupac.com/main1.html

Tent, 2 sleeping bags, Kelty shade, clothing, cooking gear, and a lot of other odds and ends, this thing stuffs and stuffs, and even provides a solid sleeping place for your passenger.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

rockbottom wrote:Ironically, a 1993 318i that I owned led me 16 years later to BMW motorcycles.
Actually, several BMW cars (320i, 528i x 2) led me to the bike. Even did some work with Mercedes in Frankfurt/Stuttgart and still love my BMW's. Got to drive the 748i when it first came out on the Autobahn (now, *that* was an adrenaline rush!! - could not keep it under 180kmh and at times did 235kmh).

Now, where were we? :lol:
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
hbrandan
Basic User

Post by hbrandan »

I don't like to put more bags over the TOP BAG, it increases the weight up high.
so I put 2 waterproof dive bags over the side cases. this gives me plenty of room for the wife and myself to go camping for 2 weeks. (not including the food and beer of course).
I usually put the frequently needed stuff on those 2 dive bags, since they are easy to access.
good luck, and have fun.