child car seat installation

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

zeke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 839

child car seat installation

Post by zeke »

So I think I got the rear facing car seat in there pretty good. I think I can get it a bit tighter, but brute force has run its course. Any tips on technique or methods that you used to snug it down that last little bit? I am installing a Graco Snugride 30 on the drive side of 2011 OB, using the LATCH. I have it in there pretty good. It is level and the strap is tight across the base. However when I give a little pull test it is snug in all directions except left to right motion. I can really jam in other directions and it does not move, but put a minimal amount of effort from left to right when facing the seat and it moves several inches. I'll take another run at it tomorrow. If you come up with any ideas I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help.
Oh I plan to take it to the police station for them to double check my work as well.
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Re: child car seat installation

Post by Buckster »

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Src=search
These sell pretty well. Sold at Toys R Us and Babies R Us.
Buckster '03R
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

It's been 13 years, but I can never remember a car seat being 100% snug.
The nature of rear seat shoulder belts are designed to "give" on slow pull, and lock up on hard pull.

After you get the seat in as snug as possible, give it a hard yank in different directions.
If it does not come loose, you should be ok.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I never considered putting a car seat on a motorcycle. When did they start putting latches on the bikes?
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

I encountered two issues, when trying to install a rear facing baby car seat:

1. I couldn't get the car seat to level properly, since the automobile seat had a rear tilt to the cushion, so I placed a scrap piece of Temprapedic foam from an old mattress topper, under the baby car seat base.

2. I found I could install the seat with fewer side-to-side/back-to-front movements by placing your knee in the car seat, putting weight on it and then snugging up the tensioning strap. The weight of your body with the knee in the baby car seat causes the baby car seat to become more firmly emplaced in the automobile's seat cushion.

I have since installed a larger front facing seat because my grandson has outgrown the first (rear facing) one. This new one uses the seat belt as an additional securing device, as well as the two built in latch points in the automobile seat.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

zeke wrote:So I think I got the rear facing car seat in there pretty good. I think I can get it a bit tighter, but brute force has run its course. Any tips on technique or methods that you used to snug it down that last little bit? I am installing a Graco Snugride 30 on the drive side of 2011 OB, using the LATCH. I have it in there pretty good. It is level and the strap is tight across the base. However when I give a little pull test it is snug in all directions except left to right motion. I can really jam in other directions and it does not move, but put a minimal amount of effort from left to right when facing the seat and it moves several inches. I'll take another run at it tomorrow. If you come up with any ideas I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help.
Oh I plan to take it to the police station for them to double check my work as well.
You're over-thinking this. Is this your first kid? We're on #5 now.

Lean your whole body weight on the thing while pulling the straps to tighten it. If it wiggles a little, so be it. It won't hurt your kid. Use one of those U-shaped pillows to keep his/her head from moving excessively. That's about all there is to it.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
zeke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 839

Post by zeke »

Got it all set. The local police were having and inspection and installation day, so they helped me out. Needed to add some so the pool floaty noddles to help level the seat. That little level on the seat itself is useless. With the noddles under the seat it fits better and does not more nearly as much as before.