Turned a business trip into an adventure!

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Faylo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 978

Turned a business trip into an adventure!

Post by Faylo »

Hello all.
I live in the St. Louis area and currently have business dealings in the Waynesboro, VA area. I visited Waynesboro for a couple of weeks in July. Typical fly and rent a car type trip. After that trip, I decided that the next trip would have to be a bike trip with my R1200R. 11 nights in a Holiday Inn on that first trip gave me plenty of time to research a route out and back, with plenty of interesting roads both ways.
Day 1 – Leaving Home
Here she is packed and ready to go.

I have Clothing and tools in the saddle bags, frequently accessed items in the tank bag and my work computer and a change of work clothes in the Seal Line dry bag on back.
The 1st day was just straight slabbing it on Hwy 64 from West of St. Louis, MO to Charleston, WV. 526 miles and a Motel 6 are about all I can say. Oh, it was hot too.

Day2 – Charleston, WV to Waynesboro, VA.
Here is a pic of my tracks.

Simply, Hwy 64 to Cheylan, WV where I picked up US 60. Nice little highway with plenty of big trucks and evidence of the coal and lumber/paper industry. Highway US 60 to Hwy 16/39 at Gauley Bridge.
I took this until Hwy 39 split off and continued on Hwy 39 all of the way to Hwy 150 in the Cranberry Wilderness. I thought Hwy 39 was very nice with only a couple of places where I felt I had to watch myself, mostly in the shady/damp areas at lower elevations. I obeyed the speed limits for the most part, especially around the towns and villages.
I stopped at the Cranberry Wilderness Visitor’s Center at Hwy’s 39 & 150. Took a look around the museum and chatted with the nice people there. They gave me some advice to watch for deer and bears. Being from Missouri, I am aware of the danger of deer, bears, not so much. I wanna see a bear! I then took Hwy 150 up around to US 219 and then back down to Hwy 39. The ride up Hwy 150 was outstanding. Here are some pics from Hwy 150.

Notice, no bike. Believe me; most every picture I took has the bike in it. I just liked this one. There were tons of bumblebee’s here and I buttoned up the Streetguard a little tighter and kept my shield closed the rest of the way around.

I got into the clouds a little bit and there were a few drops of rain, just enough to make it cool and misty. Compared to the previous day, the lower temps and clouds were welcome.

This exposure is a little darker than reality, but I didn’t want to lose the detail of the Sun and clouds. I had a very special feeling about this place.

Another overlook.

Bike: “This view makes my butt look big!”
Me: “No honey, you look fine. Very functional.”

Hwy 150 ends at US 219 which I took south back towards Hwy 39. This stretch of 219 is a very curvy section going down from the ridge of Hwy 150. When I got down, I almost went back up, but, after the time spent on my little detour, I felt I had to move on. I was on the way to work by the way.

I continued east on Hwy 39 to US 220. This took me through the Monongahela National Forest and the George Washington National Forest. Beautiful countryside and the road was very nice. Much of the way was shaded and traffic was relatively light. There were some real nice twisties and sweepers. Not too technical and generally easy to maintain a good speed. I found that I could generally run in to a corner at 10-15 mph over the stated speed without any concern what so ever.
Once in Virginia, I took US 220 up to Monterey, VA. This is nice road up the valley. Picturesque farm land and a sense that things were a little slower here, so I chilled and slowed down a bit. I didn’t want to catch a piece of farm equipment lumbering down the road. I also saw a couple of groups of Harleys and every one waved and all was good. This is a perfect road for them.

In Monterey I filled up and picked up US 250 up over the mountains to Staunton, VA. (Pronounced Stanton locally) US 250 was an eye opener. As I approached the first of the twisties going up the mountain, it was a left hander and the sign said 20 MPH. I thought, well 30 MPH should be fine. Nope, 20 means 20! I entered way too hot and ventured all the way out to the white line while on the brakes all of way through. At the exit I was then in too high of a gear to get out of the corner cleanly, and had to get down a gear or two. Not the smoothest corner I have executed, but I kept her out of the gravel and didn’t stall her. YEA! The next set of twisties, I entered very near the stated speed and then accelerated from the apex out. That worked well. As I developed a rhythm, I was really starting to have fun. Some of the corners had a little rise before dropping into the next corner going the other way. I could feel the suspension unload going over the rise and then load back up in the next corner. A wonderful feeling! The bike was completely stable and confidence inspiring. I did scrape boot toe a couple of times. This continued up and over the mountains. What a blast!

As I came down in to Staunton, it was local highways over to Stuarts Draft, VA to begin work. I must say, that was the most fun I have ever had going to work!

One of a major retailer’s many distribution centers. This would be my place of work for the next 11 days. Not a bad place to be compared to some of the places I have to go in my line of work. At least this trip, I don’t have to wear safety shoes, eye protection, coveralls, etc…. I do wear hearing protection though. Just as I do on the bike.
Last edited by Faylo on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMW R1200R Alpine White (Need another. :()
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
Faylo
Lifer

Re: Turned a business trip into an adventure!

Post by Faylo »

After arrival, it was 12 hour days till Friday. It was supposed to rain all weekend and I wanted to do a little exploring. I had met another BMW owner, Joe, at the job site. Joe rode an older R80/7 with a bunch of miles. He also owned a newer Harley, but it was having some work done. Joe gave me a Virginia map with some of his favorite routes highlighted. Some of them I already knew about, but there were a couple I didn’t know about. I stopped working for the day at 3:30 PM and I headed back to the hotel to change. I decided to just check out a portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway and break off and return via some of the lesser roads that Joe had marked.

The weather was beautiful and this was the first overlook.

Very nice view and only a few miles down the BRP!

Another overlook looking back towards Waynesboro and the distribution center.

A neat valley showing the nature of the land. Such a sense of remoteness and only a few miles from civilization. Maybe a Sasquatch in there? More likely a still. :D

One more pic. It turned out that it was a good idea to take pictures on this day trip, because the trip home next week would bring completely different weather.

I rode the BRP down to US 60 and got off and headed east towards Amherst. Coming down off of the BRP I entered what I called Kudzu canyon. The Kudzu was thick up the mountain to the left and up the trees to the right. I wanted to stop and take a picture, but I wasn’t about to stop in the middle of the road on a Friday afternoon, and with the Kudzu, every corner was a blind one. Not worth getting run over for a picture. In Amherst, I picked up US 29 back north to Hwy 151. Hwy 151 runs through some pleasant little communities on good roads. Once back in to Waynesboro, I followed US 250 through town back to the hotel. Total mileage was 123 miles. Not bad for a late afternoon run. This run convinced me that I need to investigate a little longer run home the next weekend.

Worked all weekend and had plenty of rain. I rode the bike daily to and from work and experienced a little rain both days and a bit more during the following week. In the evenings, I worked out a plan and presented it to the wife. Instead of 2 days to return, I would take 3. Ride the entire BRP and then get over to Tennessee via Tail of the Dragon or the Cherohala Skyway, stay the night somewhere cheap and then get home on the third day. She agreed! I think she understood that I needed to get some riding in on the new bike. :)
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
Faylo
Lifer

Post by Faylo »

Return Home Day 1
On Friday morning I set out. The weather held a 40% chance for rain for the day and it looked more like 100% once I got on the BRP.

As soon as I got on the BRP I stopped and took a picture of the area around Waynesboro. I liked the low lying clouds in the morning.

I didn’t stop at the same overlooks that I stopped at the previous Friday because I knew there would be many more to come. The weather started getting darker, but the temps were cool and comfortable.

Early on, I came to this little church that I had seen on the Friday trip. I just had to have a picture.

The clouds starting getting thicker and the air wetter and cooler. Neat environment to ride in. I was completely alone, just me and the bike, moving confidently and efficiently down the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The wind and rain started picking up and I wondered if I’d end up in a mountain storm. I saw some lightning strikes, but they were across the valley and it was hard to tell if they were coming my way or not. Still, I was alone and a little concerned.

The winds were blowing the clouds across the road and I could see my wake in the mirrors as I passed. Very cool!

Came down in elevation a bit and found this nice little lake and dam. Took a break and drank some coffee. It started to rain. Saw one car and a Park Ranger drive by.

Climbed back up in elevation and the rain stopped. Temps dropped to around 60° Fahrenheit. Little cool with the wind chill, but not uncomfortable. Just zipped up the vents on the Streetguard suit and all was good.

Out of the rain now. Sun was starting to peek through the clouds and the temps were climbing.

I stopped at a nice overlook to have lunch which consisted of a bag of spicy peanut snack and the remainder of my hotel coffee.

While sitting here admiring the view, I heard a BMW boxer pass behind me. I didn’t get turned around in time to see it, but I figured it would be an RT as that seems to be what they all are. A few moments later I heard a BMW boxer pull up right behind me. I turned around, and it was another R1200R! Holy cow! :o I jumped up and greeted the R rider. We exchanged pleasantries and among which is membership in this forum. He is Harald, otherwise known as HJSBMW. What a mind blower! We chatted for a good little bit about these fabulous bikes and such. I was very jazzed about meeting another R rider and I just knew this would be a special trip.

Harald is on the left and I am on the right. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was getting a pretty good sunburn on the old forehead. We rode off down the BRP to the Meadows of Dan where Harald pointed me in the direction of gas station. I didn’t need fuel, but when in unknown territory, it is best to keep the tank full. Plus, this was the perfect place for the obligatory ‘bike at the gas pump’ pic.

If I had needed produce, this was the place. Everything looked good.

Neat little stop, especially since I was the only one here. A little walking around and peeking in the buildings and then I was off. I rode away wondering, "Who tends the corn?".

A couple of more shots from some overlooks as I get nearer to my first night’s destination. Blowing Rock, NC.

And now a wildlife shot of a little friend I encountered along the way. Long cold winter anyone? Or is he the wrong critter for that?

My first night accommodations. Very nice and a bit more expensive than what I wanted, but that looks to be the way it is around Blowing Rock. I would stay here again if my wife was with me. Otherwise, I think I'll be in a tent!

This place was the country home of a Claus Moberg, a respected architect. The walls are decorated with his drawings and being an engineer, I studied several of them. The works are impressive.
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
Faylo
Lifer

Post by Faylo »

Return Home Day 2
I awoke early, had a nice little continental breakfast and hit the BRP. But first a pic from the back of the resort.

Evidence of the previous nights festivities. I think it was a wedding as there were lots of well dressed and behaved young’uns around.

A view of Grandfather mountain. Kinda looks like a Grandpa snoozing on the couch?

Three Knobs Overlook.

I guess those are the knobs? I kinda see three of them? Maybe more? ;) The weather was nice and cool and the bike was performing flawlessly.

Black Mountain Overlook.

Interesting formation there. Kind of reminds me of R2D2.

This view just goes on forever. Traffic at this point was heavier than the previous day, but not bad at all. That would change as I got closer to Asheville.

Another forever view.

I am falling in love with western North Carolina. In fact the whole Blue Ridge Parkway for that matter.

Just after this, the BRP was shut down for a brief time period. Evidently another motorcyclist hit a car pulling out from an overlook. As I understand it, it was an elderly driver "who didn't see the motorcycle" and the rider's injuries were serious. It was a sportbike and I couldn't tell brand or much of anything about it. It was in pretty bad shape. I said a little prayer and moved on.

The obligatory "highest elevation picture".

The traffic was quite heavy around Asheville and the BRP was almost a car/bike show. I saw several cool old sports cars, on old Jaguar XKE, 2 MG’s, some other old cars I didn’t recognize and a bunch of modified Miatas. Must have been some sort of club run. It was now a little later in the day than I anticipated it would be and I didn’t want to end up riding unknown roads after dark, so I didn’t stop for pics after this.

Originally I considered riding the Tail of the Dragon, but after the traffic I experienced on the BRP on a Saturday, I figured the Tail of the Dragon would be a mess and I figured the Cherohala Skyway would be the way to go. I had heard that it was technically challenging, beautiful and much less crowded than the Dragon, so that’s where I headed next.
I made my way over to the Cherohala through some very nice roads. Not too populated and plenty of services. Motorcycles everywhere! Cruisers, dressers, sportbikes, you name it. They were all in this area.

Here is my route for day 2.

Once on the Cherohala, I came upon a rider on a Buell. The poor guy didn’t know how to corner. He was keeping the bike almost vertical and leaning way off to the side and steering around the corners, but going very slow. He was nice enough and waved me past. I entered the next corner in an exaggerated lean to show him that bikes can lean. I hope he learns to ride and is not one of these guys that thinks he can ride from what he has read in a book. I’ve seen plenty of that in my day. :(

Shortly after that I spotted a black sport bike in my mirror, I had been running fairly swiftly but conservatively and figured that since this guy caught me, he may know the road, so I waved him past. He pulls up next to me and he is on a BMW F800ST! He pulls on ahead and I follow. I quickly realize that this guy knows how to ride but is not going so fast that he leaves me. Just faster than what I would ride being completely alone as I am. We roll through the corners at a pretty good clip until about half way through and he pulls into an overlook and I pull up next to him. He removes his helmet and he is another old guy like me! Far out. We make introductions and chat for a bit. His name is dingle, from Ohio, and going to meet up with his wife at the relatives in Tennessee. He suggests that I lead the rest of the way and I agree. We completed the remainder of the Cherohala in a similar sporting fashion to the first half. It is easier to ride faster with someone else along to help pick up the pieces if necessary. I never scraped metal, but I did a number on the sides of my riding boots. The road is very nice and traction is good. Sweeper after sweeper, with some tight hairpins thrown in to keep you honest and views just pretty enough to distract you if you let them. The bike handled it all and I never once felt uncomfortable. I did overcook a corner entry once but plenty of rear brake and throttle kept me between the lines. We chatted again when we got to Tellico Plains. dingle made the comment that he has never met a squid on a BMW and I concurred. It was agreed that by the time a rider determines he wants a BMW, he knows how to ride. dingle was going South and I was headed North so we bid each other best wishes and continued on our ways. I highly recommend the Cherohala Skyway.

I made my way up Hwy 68 to Crossville, Tennessee for the night. It was a decent little Economy Inn with good AC. The door didn't lock well, so I went out and grabbed some Sonic for supper.
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
Faylo
Lifer

Post by Faylo »

Return Home Day 3

Woke up early and packed the bike. Rain was moving in and it looked like if I could make it to Nashville, it would be over. I headed West on I-40 towards Nashville and stopped at a Waffle House in Cookeville, TN for some breakfast. I thought that by the time I ate, most of the rain would be past, but that was not to be the case. The rain seemed to be originating at Nashville and growing towards the East. It was pouring now. I finished breakfast and headed back out in it. I passed a couple on an RT and then some young dude in shorts and t-shirt on an old Gold Wing passed me going like hell. I was running 80 and he must have been going over 90. I think he was trying to keep the rain off of him. =D>

Sure enough the rain broke up around Nashville and I took I-24 North out of Nashville. In and out of spotty rain up until the Kentucky state line. I stayed on I-24 until Hwy 80. I took Hwy 80 West through the Land between the Lakes over to Mayfield, Kentucky and beyond. HWY 80 was mostly 4 lanes. Nice and easy riding through some very pretty Midwestern countryside. After Mayfield, KY I picked up Hwy 51 and went north in to Illinois where I picked up Hwy 3 through Cairo, IL. I must say, Hwy 3 was rather interesting. Some parts were very straight right through marshy areas that kind of reminded me of parts of Louisiana or east Texas. I crossed over in to Missouri at Cape Girardeau over a new bridge on 146. After that it was high speed slabbing it up 55 to home. No pictures as I was now in "Going Home Mode" and just wanted to get there.

Here is a pic of my route on day 3 of the trip home.

Well, that's my ride report. First one I have done! I hope you all enjoy it and that it somewhat indicates the joy I feel when riding this motorcycle. In fact I am completing this report from the hotel in Waynesboro as the project is not quite over yet and in fact will continue into the next year. Maybe I'll get to ride back out here next spring! 8)
Later,
-Jim
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Great report and great photos, Jim! And your first report too? I know it takes a lot of time and effort to put together a report. Thanks for taking that time.

I've been on many of the roads you mention and it was fun for me to see the photos recalling memories of rides there. I agree with your assessment of many of those routes you took. What a great way to enjoy extended business trip days!
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I have been on some of those roads as well. The Cherohala is one of my favorites. Your trip report is top notch! Thanks for sharing.
Buckster '03R
mnnden
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mnnden »

I really enjoyed your ride!! it has been many years since I have been to that part of the world, you brought back some memories. Great pictures & intereting text. Thanks for sharing. Gotta like that White "R" mnn
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
Faylo
Lifer

Post by Faylo »

Thanks for the kind replies!

That was my trip for the year. I am planning a couple of fall trips around Missouri, hopefully with the wife on back. After I took this trip, I think she may be ready to do a small one. Maybe out to wine country for lunch? When we were dating and the first couple of years of marriage, we rode fairly frequently. But that was on a GSXR 1100 and wasn't that comfy. I keep assuring her that this bike is much more comfortable and she may be starting to believe me.
Again, thanks!
-Jim :D
1997 Kawasaki ZX11
1969 BMW R50/2 w/hack