R1150 RS vs RT

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

Xdot
Donating Member #: 0

R1150 RS vs RT

Post by Xdot »

If you follow my threads, which I'm sure all of you do, I've kind of been on a quest to reduce wind noise when I'm riding my R1150R. It's not that I don't like it, it's that it hurts my ears. So I've been experimenting with fairings and ear plugs and other bikes. I have ridden an RT and while the noise is very tolerable I didn't much care for the handling or the sitting position.

For whatever reason I never considered the R1150RS until I saw one the other day online. It has a slightly more aggressive riding position than the RS while a bit less fairing covering the body. What I was wondering is if the fairing does a decent job of shedding wind. I don't want as much coverage as you get on the RT. Especially over the legs and hands. It looks like the RS fairing leaves the hands and legs exposed while shielding the chest and head which is exactly what I want!

Opinions? I'm wondering mostly about the wind noise and buffeting at highway speeds and the riding position. I prefer upright and it seems that with some bar backs or a touring handlebar, and a low seat, the RS will give me the position I prefer. Are mounts for side cases available for the RS? I just really love the boxer motor and want to stick with that platform.

John
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
OU812
Lifer

Re: R1150 RS vs RT

Post by OU812 »

Th RS is a beautiful bike! Yes it has less wind coverage then the RT and has a lower windscreen. Those here know I have the strong affinity for the RT line. :mrgreen:
I tried a few different model/mfg screens for my R1150R's and really the RT is better then any of them. I live in a cold climate and ride year round. Again, the RS is a sweet looker!
I know I am not much help but I like to type....not.
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
crash
Basic User

Post by crash »

I've got an 1100rs I recently purchased. Looked seriously at a couple of RT's that were available locally. Just looked and felt too bulky. They are 75 lbs heavier. Not a huge difference, but it meant alot to me. I did add peg lowering brackets, and barbacks in an attempt at moderating the effects of my arthritic knee and neck. It already had a Clearview touring screen. Ended up very similar to an K75s riding position. The fairing's good protection. Nice, clean air pocket, no buffeting. Quiet ride with the screen adjusted where I want it. I get the more moderate position, and less bodywork. I like it, like the lightened look and feel. No regrets. And an excellent birthday present to myself! Oh, and the bags are great! You can see it athttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

THE Crash? :lol:
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

crash wrote:I've got an 1100rs I recently purchased. Looked seriously at a couple of RT's that were available locally. Just looked and felt too bulky. They are 75 lbs heavier. Not a huge difference, but it meant alot to me. I did add peg lowering brackets, and barbacks in an attempt at moderating the effects of my arthritic knee and neck. It already had a Clearview touring screen. Ended up very similar to an K75s riding position. The fairing's good protection. Nice, clean air pocket, no buffeting. Quiet ride with the screen adjusted where I want it. I get the more moderate position, and less bodywork. I like it, like the lightened look and feel. No regrets. And an excellent birthday present to myself! Oh, and the bags are great! You can see it athttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
Welcome! Hope you find this board useful in your BMW journey.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
crash
Basic User

Post by crash »

OU812 wrote:THE Crash? :lol:
Kinda. I'm a drummer {hence Crash} and ukuleleist when not riding....... http://www.myspace.com/bill39smusicstuff
Last edited by crash on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
crash
Basic User

Post by crash »

angellr wrote:
crash wrote:I've got an 1100rs I recently purchased. Looked seriously at a couple of RT's that were available locally. Just looked and felt too bulky. They are 75 lbs heavier. Not a huge difference, but it meant alot to me. I did add peg lowering brackets, and barbacks in an attempt at moderating the effects of my arthritic knee and neck. It already had a Clearview touring screen. Ended up very similar to an K75s riding position. The fairing's good protection. Nice, clean air pocket, no buffeting. Quiet ride with the screen adjusted where I want it. I get the more moderate position, and less bodywork. I like it, like the lightened look and feel. No regrets. And an excellent birthday present to myself! Oh, and the bags are great! You can see it athttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
Welcome! Hope you find this board useful in your BMW journey.
Thanks. It's my 3rd BMW. Last was an R60/5 toaster, and previous was an '80 R65 that got hotrodded some. In between were several Ducs, Moto Guzzi, a Kawi Concours and Drifter, plus an RZ 350 KR replica.... After the BMW's and Guzzi, the RS feels like home again. Never really was there with the Concours. Too top heavy, just wasn't right for me. The Ducs were great, but service around here's lousy, and I'd rather pay someone, then change shims! This looks plenty workable, and if not, there's a shop just up the street.
Xdot

Post by Xdot »

I think this is the bike I'm looking for. Any for sale in the Southeast???
2017 Husqvarna 701
2007 Husqvarna TE250
2004 BMW Rockster
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

RS or RT?
here is a great search link for CS:
http://www.searchtempest.com/