Syatem saddlebags

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ron prior
Basic User

Syatem saddlebags

Post by ron prior »

Does anyone know?...if the system bags with the shiny lids are painted? or polished?

I've never seen a set up close.

Also, will the extra wide touring lids for an RT same year will fit the R/R bags?
Supposed to be six extra liters p/side,& too me they don't look ....awkward.

I have a line on a set. I have a r/side bag scarred,.looking to improve.

Thanks,Ron
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: Syatem saddlebags

Post by sjbmw »

Shiny? The color toned matching paint saddle bags on the newer RT, and K-GT, are specific to those bikes, and are usually on the showroom floor with them. The R1150R uses the black generic bags. The bags come in 2 lid flavors, full lids, and the less wider "city lids".

City lids:

This is a 2007 RT, with painted bags, stock.

A 2004 RT with generic bags

Notice the much lower location of the exhaust on the RT, vs. the R1150R. The higher exhaust on the R1150R makes for a smaller bag on exhaust side. Some R1150R owners remove the exhaust can and install the RT generic bags, with the same sized bag on both sides. A stock R1150R exhaust will not support a RT bag on the exhaust side.

Any wider bag and it's usually due to oversized lids.

These black generic bags were universal on most BMW's, except the K GT's, which were the fist bikes with color matched bags.

2004 K1200Gt, with matching bags.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
ron prior
Basic User

Re: Syatem saddlebags

Post by ron prior »

Ok, I was referring to the 2004 series system bags. I've noticed some have shiny lids, weren't sure if they were painted?..or sanded out & polished. I have one which is screwed up, & deciding what to ?? Thought about painting either the black, [gloss], or color match to the bike, Dark Ferro?

Also have a line on the larger lids, & considering maybe those. If they are worth the width & the cost, for the extra capacity?

Ron