R1150R Clutch Slave Adventure

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

awk
Basic User

R1150R Clutch Slave Adventure

Post by awk »

Hello all,
I have at 2002 R1150R, 33000 miles. I've had it going on 3 years and so far, aside from a constant battle with surging which I'm finally getting under control, no problems to speak of. Recently after hearing a squeal while applying the clutch lever, I determined my slave cylinder was shot. I removed without hassle, found a mess inside of leaking fluid, and finally received the replacement in the mail. (BTW, a much cheaper option is available from BeemerBoeYard, I found out too late!).

Here's the problem:
I thought the clutch pushrod would slide straight back and out but something is tightly restraining it. I want to remove it to complete the cleanup of the mess. I can rotate it but it makes a weird scraping noise like it is interferring with the pressure spring. It will push forward but now I wonder if I should continue the disassembly to do a spline lube or should I just reassemble the mess.
Any advice????
Thanks in advance
AWK
2002 R1150R
Chapel Hill NC
grwrockster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R1150R Clutch Slave Adventure

Post by grwrockster »

From memory of the one time I've done something like this, then the pushrod should just come straight out. I know I reinstated it after a clutch plate change that way (didn't leave it on the box in case of accidental damage while getting the 'box back on).

You've likely got nasty brake fluid goo all over the place - and the felt pad on the pushrod is probably saturated as well, so cleaning the 'rod and replacing the felt pad are probably sound ideas.

Personally, I'm not convinced about spline lubing - I'm concerned that (like the bendix on a starter motor) that once you do this, the additional grease might actually attract more dust and particulates and gum the works up more than if I'd left it well alone (for the same reasons I never used spray anti-fling chain lube when I had chain-drive bikes - all they seemed to achieve was to attract dust and turn into a grinding paste on a nice expensive 'O' ring chain).

I know everyone has their own ideas, but FWIW I'm staying with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' standpoint on this particular issue (spline lubing) myself.
awk
Basic User

Post by awk »

One more thing....
As I said above. The clutch pushrod will rotate but will not come out. It feels like it is firmly attached to something internal. I studied a picture of the clutch spring thingy and see that the pushrod pushes on a round plate on the spring. It feels like my pushrod is "spot welded" firmly to this plate.
Another question:
Does this plate rotate free on top of the clutch sping or has something broken? The only way I see is to tear it all down!
Thanks AWK
AWK
2002 R1150R
Chapel Hill NC
AndyRR
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by AndyRR »

The center plate on the clutch spring does "float". It's a friction fit, so it wouldn't spin easily.

That rod should come out. If you are pulling so hard that the bike is sliding across the garage floor, stop.

You may want to pull the starter to take a peek at your clutch. If it's contaminated, you know you'll have to split it regardless.

If this is your off season - it wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect the splines anyway. '02 with 33k....
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

The clutch pushrod should just pull out. Mine came out hard because some surface corrosion and minor frictional galling on the OD of the pushrod made it seem attached deep within. ViseGrips clamped on and a wobbling, hard rearward pull broke it free. After cleaning, sanding the defects smooth and smearing on a light film of grease, it easily went back in. IMO, the design and service life of the clutch spline and release mechanisms do not measure up to BMW's reputation.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

It is hard to grip and get a good pull on it. I remember struggling to get it out too... it takes a Really strong pull. But, like Rob said vice-grips and a strong wiggling/pulling will get it out. I am pretty sure I used the small-sized-needle-nosed type of vice-grips, as that was only thing that could really properly grab the rod, and hold it well enough. The other types of vice-grips couldn't grab well enough. That was key for me.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...