R12R Luggage re-think

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

mikes
Basic User

R12R Luggage re-think

Post by mikes »

I have used BMW panniers and top box system luggage on the last two RRs and have been thing about not going with BMW hard luggage on my r12r classic this time around. As an all round package BMW system works well but I have never been totally happy. There are a couple of reason is first the clam opening side cases. They work fine if you used a bag(s) and have all your stuff in the bag. However I tend to put the heavy stuff in the panniers (keeping weight down low as possible) like additional tools, air compressor and camping kit etc. I would much preferr a top loading pannier system like Touratech Zega Pro but I think on my RR might be a bit heavy and look a little agricultural. However I have seen some that might work like the TraX black panniers and the Givi Trekker ones. Also the Givi Trekker top box looks very interesting. To be honest I have never been a fan of Givi but maybe I never really gave the product close and unbiased review. Must of had my BMW glasses on. The problem for me I can"t seem to find these on display. Anyone on the fourm fitted these or seen them in real life? Happy to hear comment good, bad whatever..

BTW forgot ... the issue with the BMW top box (if there really is one) is that the lid and base is split 50:50 opening. Again would preferr a majority of useable space to be in the base not split the load capcacity between the lid and base if that makes sense...

Sorry made an error the panniers I was think about was these:

http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/frameset.php

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... CCsQ9QEwCQ

Cheers
Mikes
07 R1200R
02 R1150R
Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?
Groucho Marx
boxermoose
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: R12R Luggage re-think

Post by boxermoose »

Micatech V2's are nice, bomb proof, cases

http://micatech.net/products/v2-cases

you mount them with the swmototech frames (same as used for the TRAX panniers

ADV discount thread for the bags

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583751

I have not seen them mounted onto a RR
TANSTAAFL
objectuser
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1029

Post by objectuser »

I'm not the biggest fan of the BMW luggage either. My bike has the BMW side racks and cases. I do like Givi luggage. I have the Givi E41s (and E52) from my other bike that I would prefer to use. I'm going to give the BMW side cases a chance. I've bought a Givi adapter for the top rack so I can still use my E52, which fits my backpack nicely.

So we'll see. If I'm not satisfied with them, I'll have to remove the BMW racks and put on something like the SW-Motech racks for both the top and side cases.
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
dicebox
Basic User

Post by dicebox »

I have the Hepco & becker XPlorer 40 litre panniers and 45 litre top box. Very satisfied.
mikes
Basic User

Post by mikes »

Hey mate any chance of posting a photo H&B Xplorer pannier and top box on your bike? Had a look at website and they look excellent. From what I can work out the are not as heavy as others (that's a good thing). Be good if you could.
Mikes
07 R1200R
02 R1150R
Groucho Marx
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Bought my 2007 R1200R used. It came with a Givi top case and side cases. I took the side cases off. I hated the side mounting bars for the side cases. I took them off too.

I have the largest Givi top case, a 55, and somehow wound up with an intermediate sized one as well; what's on the bike all the time is a discontinued GIVI top case called the traveler/commuter or something like that /..///it was their smallest top case for motorcylces and it's like a 38 and it's butt ugly. But, I need a place to load stuff. These are MONOKEY cases for motocycles; their MONOLOCK cases are a better size but are for scooters and if you modify the plate then use can't use a big case for a trip. Sucks.

Going to the Long Beach, CA big motorcycle show this weekend; I'll talk to the GIVI guy and see if they have something smaller that fits on top on a Monokey base. I don't think weight is that big a deal on top case loading. I can easily do a few days loaded into my biggest top case.In Europe, no one runs BMW system cases; everyone has GIVI. For what it's worth I think the bmw bikes like the RT 1200 look way better without all the cases hung on them. In Europe, I saw very few side cases. Everyone had a top case.
dicebox
Basic User

Post by dicebox »

Mikes

picture of my bike with the H&B luggage here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71988239@N02/6503686491/
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Ok so at the Long Beach show Givi indeed had a smaller, less butt ugly MONOKEY top case:

Givi B33 Monokey Topcase - 33 liters/case/ This is in place of the ugly previously smaller case...the commuter, traveler or whatever.

So I bought the new one...it'll snap right on to the Givi rack on the R1200R; and, I bought the top case base plate mount for my new to me used, Ducati Monster 696 which I was going to keep naked, but it's just so much easier riding around with some kind of top case; and no one is going to confuse my 65 year oldness with some cool Ricky Racer type.

The new small case is a lot better looking....YMMV
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

Ok so at the Long Beach show Givi indeed had a smaller, less butt ugly MONOKEY top case:

Givi B33 Monokey Topcase - 33 liters/case/ This is in place of the ugly previously smaller case...the commuter, traveler or whatever.

So I bought the new one...it'll snap right on to the Givi rack on the R1200R; and, I bought the top case base plate mount for my new to me used, Ducati Monster 696 which I was going to keep naked, but it's just so much easier riding around with some kind of top case; and no one is going to confuse my 65 year oldness with some cool Ricky Racer type.

The new small case is a lot better looking....YMMV
mikes
Basic User

Post by mikes »

Thanks for posting photo of your bike with H&B panniers. Looks less adventure style than most I have seen that doesn't look out of place on the RR. I assume they are much lighter than most but still very strong for on / off road use.
Mikes
07 R1200R
02 R1150R
Groucho Marx
dicebox
Basic User

Post by dicebox »

Mike

the H&B gear is lighter than BMW cases, can't compare to any others. For road use they are fine, that picture was taken at Honigsvag in Norway on the way back from a 2350 mile trip to Norway's North Cape. Lasted the 2350 miles back home to Edinburgh no problem. Cases are strong, inner bags are good and easy to pack/unpack. Panniers were completely waterproof, even in lashing downpours that forced me to hole up for the day. Top box had a tiny pool of water after one downpour, but not sure what that was about, it was bone dry for the rest of the trip. I like the line of the panniers, it suits the bike, not so sure about the top box, it sits a bit back and upright, but, a minor niggle. I'm very pleased with the luggage.

Cheers
Brendan
mikes
Basic User

Post by mikes »

Brendan

I agree your panniers suit the bike the best of all the others. All my RRs have had BMW panniers and they do suit the bikes lines but that's about it. I think the Top box is okay and again the design detail looks really nice. I have had Givi and BMW ones but to be honest I'm not a big fan of the weight behind the rear wheel and how they look on the bike. However when traveling I take a Top Box because I can lock up my gear. For my day rides I have panniers without a Top Box. RE H&B Top Box it has some nice design detail and make full use of the space available. BMW Top Box lid is a 50:50 split and really is pain. IF I had to buy (which I will) Top Box then I would get the H&B one like yours. My only issue now is black or silver.....
Mikes
07 R1200R
02 R1150R
Groucho Marx
mikes
Basic User

Post by mikes »

Sorry Brendan one quick question: the Top Box rack is that separate to the pannier rack assembly?
Mikes
07 R1200R
02 R1150R
Groucho Marx
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

the issue with the BMW top box (if there really is one) is that the lid and base is split 50:50 opening. Again would preferr a majority of useable space to be in the base not split the load capcacity between the lid and base if that makes sense...
Make a shelf to hold stuff up top.

I have the Hepko Becker with a similar arrangement, but the "journey" I think???. So much space up top is impractical unless you're putting bulky large objects in there, like a helmet. I don't.

On the HB there are elastic straps criss-crossing across the base of the top. I put a couple of pegs for support along the front edge, cut a piece of heavy plastic to fit, and I rest that plastic on the pegs and support it by the elastic and voila, two compartments. IN the top I carry my laptop, cahrger and some other electrical things, On the bottom I bought a Pelican case insert appropriately sized and use it to carry camera equipment. Works pretty well

Not harvesting that space, for me, is asking for stuff to fall out--stuff that's piled in-- and not making best use of the volume

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
dicebox
Basic User

Post by dicebox »

Mike

yes, the rear rack can be mounted on it's own, but you have to have the rear rack on to mount the pannier racks. They are a quick-lok type and can be removed easily if you don't want them on the bike when the panniers are not mounted. You can buy locking nuts for the pannier rack.

Brendan
mikes
Basic User

Post by mikes »

Thanks Brendan. I have an idea to incorporate H&B pannier system with some mods to the Top Box rack system. So instead of a Top Box I will have H&B panniers and Ventura zip together soft luggage. Here the link for Ventura not the soft luggage on the home page. Basically the two bag zip to together weight nothing empty and can take 10 kls back facing bag and front facing bag (on the seat) about 15kls. I actually had this systems sorted and working on my 07 RR with BMW cases (panniers rails without rear rack for top box) and Ventura rack and bags.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/
Mikes
07 R1200R
02 R1150R
Groucho Marx
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I spoke with Al Jesse today and he said he will offer Jesse Bags for the R1200R in the upcoming Fall or perhaps Winter. :D I have three sets of Jesses on other bikes and believe they are top quality. If any one is intersted in a set of Hepco Becker 45 liter bags and mounts, including a tail rack, then I'll have some for sale in the upcoming Fall or perhaps Winter.

PS. You can get the Jesse Top Case with an auxilliary fuel tank in it if you so desire. The one I've seen holds 3 gallons of fuel, but you can get lessfuel capacity and more storage space if you so desire.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost