gun question

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

jas
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: gun question

Post by jas »

A firearms card?

Do not use light loads on a bear, if you are going to shoot in defense, do so with the intent to fataly wound the animal. If not, buy a pellet gun, sling shot, etc. Bears do bluff, but do you have time to call them on it? Do not F with a bear, there is very little margin for error. I am an avid archery hunter and pursue bear on occasion, but I know my limits and respect their power.

From the sounds of it, you are not planning on shooting at every animal that walks by, but rather have a tool for true defensive needs. . Slugs will put it down within an hour. And $6.00 for 5 slugs is cheap insurance, for which you will hopefully never need to use.
2004 Roc.
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Yes, in NJ you need a firearms card to purchase any firearm. If you want to purchase a handgun, you need a separate permit for each one, and you have to wait 30 days between each handgun purchase. The process for getting the card and the permits is a real PITA. They require two references, and they do a mental health background check. You also have to get finger-printed. All of this is in addition to the criminal check that is done at the time of purchase.

Check this out.

http://youtu.be/5fC2iu3CTPc
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

I finally got my Remington 870. It is the Express model with the extended magazine, so it will hold six shells in the magazine and one in the chamber.

That is the stock photo from Remington, but I'm not sure why it's not displaying completely.

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... round.aspx
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

Good choice. The 870 is one of the best.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

owldaddy wrote:Good choice. The 870 is one of the best.
+1
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Texas laws are not as strict as NJ laws. :oops:

Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

GypsyRR wrote:Texas laws are not as strict as NJ laws. :oops:

shouldn't he shoot toward the "left," or is he just scaring Newt, Ron,Rick and Michelle?
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

GypsyRR wrote:Texas laws are not as strict as NJ laws. :oops:

He's got his finger on the trigger, though, which does not seem like the smartest thing to do in a crowd.

I was in San Antonio recently. No one was carrying a concealed weapon, as best I could tell. Well, to be honest, I was at Lackland AFB and SeaWorld, and then the airport.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

As I mentioned, we do have black bear in NJ. Not far from where I live we had a record 829 lb bear and a 776 lb bear taken during the recent six day bear season.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2011 ... |FRONTPAGE
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
angellr

Post by angellr »

rdsmith3 wrote:As I mentioned, we do have black bear in NJ. Not far from where I live we had a record 829 lb bear and a 776 lb bear taken during the recent six day bear season.

A couple of big boys. They certainly could ruin your afternoon if not prepared.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

So, if I figure correctly, it took 60 days to get your paperwork through.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

NoRRmad wrote:So, if I figure correctly, it took 60 days to get your paperwork through.

It was about six weeks to get the card, and then I was traveling for a bit so I was not able to actually purchase the gun. In order to get it, I had to:

- provide two references, who were sent questionnaires
- get finger-printed
- have a criminal background check (in addition to the check that is done at the time of purchase)
- have a mental health background check
- provide a copy of my birth certificate
- provide proof of residency (e.g. copy of utility bill)
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
angellr

Post by angellr »

rdsmith3 wrote:
NoRRmad wrote:So, if I figure correctly, it took 60 days to get your paperwork through.

It was about six weeks to get the card, and then I was traveling for a bit so I was not able to actually purchase the gun. In order to get it, I had to:

- get finger-printed
- have a criminal background check (in addition to the check that is done at the time of purchase)
Wonder how NJ handles this with a "pre-existing" condition? EG. Someone moving from another state into NJ with an existing arsenal (collection)?
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

angellr wrote:
rdsmith3 wrote:As I mentioned, we do have black bear in NJ. Not far from where I live we had a record 829 lb bear and a 776 lb bear taken during the recent six day bear season.

A couple of big boys. They certainly could ruin your afternoon if not prepared.
Yes, and rifles are not used in our bear hunts. In fact, except for maybe using a .22 to hunt groundhogs, I do not believe that any rifle hunting is allowed in NJ. Bear have to be taken with shotguns, so they're well within a football field of you.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

angellr wrote:
rdsmith3 wrote:

- get finger-printed
Wonder how NJ handles this with a "pre-existing" condition? EG. Someone moving from another state into NJ with an existing arsenal (collection)?
Interesting question. Do you want to read some NJ cops bickering with each other on this question?

http://uslawman.websitetoolbox.com/post ... 0?trail=10
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

What you will learn from that bickering, is the laws in NJ are arbitrary. i.e. the local prosecutor can decide if your out of state owned weapons are illegal, depending on when, where, and how they are discovered by the authorities. Then, your judge at trial can also decide what laws and/or evidence (that could exonerate you) your jury is allowed to hear/apply in your case.

Brian Aitken got 7 years in jail for transporting handguns purchased legally in Colorado EXACTLY ACCORDING TO THE NJ LAW. (One of the NJ laws is that guns can be transported when changing addresses, which he was, but the judge refused to let the jury hear this evidence.)

He spent months in jail until last December the governor pardoned him from public pressure and out of common sense. The governor fired (well, failed to renew his job) the same judge weeks after he sentenced Aitken, but the governor had no knowledge of the case then.

It's really worse than the video Bob posted when it's gets down to individual cases, and the possible capriciousness of the locals involved who have no accountability in this area. That thread showing multiple police officers citing different statutes all claiming higher authority is a prime example of a citizen being in a world of crap if pulled over on their way to a restaurant after visiting a gun range. (Yes, a police office can decide that your favorite restaurant is off limits, if it's not on your "normal way home" from a gun range, or hunting spot.)

"The more corrupt a government, the more numerous it's laws" = Cicero 55BC
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Sounds like any 2nd Amendment true believer (i.e. gunowner), would be seriously mentally defective to move to NJ!

Of course, probably not too many folks of any kind moving to NJ lately. Maybe the governor can change the fiscal and economic outlook but he is apparently is not on board with the whole 2nd amendment thing.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

wncbmw wrote:Sounds like any 2nd Amendment true believer (i.e. gunowner), would be seriously mentally defective to move to NJ!

Of course, probably not too many folks of any kind moving to NJ lately. Maybe the governor can change the fiscal and economic outlook but he is apparently is not on board with the whole 2nd amendment thing.
I joined the NJ 2nd amendment society because of the unfriendly climate here.

The governor makes some good fiscal decisions. In other areas, like the 2nd amendment, he does not make good choices.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

rdsmith3 wrote:

- get finger-printed
Not to be difficult, but I wouldn't want to see a gun in the hands of someone who cant pass these rather simple checks.

But thats not what this thread is about ;)

I like the shotgun, and they're darn fun to practice with.

Good luck and lets just hope you don't get cause to use it.
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

Woland wrote:
rdsmith3 wrote:

- get finger-printed
Not to be difficult, but I wouldn't want to see a gun in the hands of someone who cant pass these rather simple checks.

But thats not what this thread is about ;)

I like the shotgun, and they're darn fun to practice with.

Good luck and lets just hope you don't get cause to use it.
We could debate whether all that is necessary. For example, in order to get my driver's license, I already provided my birth certificate and proof of residency. Why do I have to do it again? For the references, I could easily pay people to respond favorably, if I were dishonest, so what is the point of that? If you lived in NJ, you would understand that there is an anti-gun bias, and many local police departments use these requirements as a means of delaying the issuance of paperwork.

Yes, the shotgun was fun to shoot. I was at a Wildlife Management Area practice range on Friday, and I had the place to myself.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74