gun question

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: gun question

Post by wncbmw »

Sounds like your requirement to buy a gun is what we in NC go through to get the concealed carry license! Of course, once you get that - at least locally - it substitutes for a permit! :D No waiting! Just the federal Instant Check and form.

And back on topic, I have a Mossberg propped up in the closet corner (no kids at home any longer, so quick access trumps security now). Never shot it for lack of practice location.

Might get to test it on the coyotes making the rounds in the neighborhood though. We are losing small game (and small dogs!) to them regularly!

I intend to leave the plentiful bears alone though, unless one is threating a human or my dog!
Last edited by wncbmw on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

rdsmith3 wrote:
NoRRmad wrote:So, if I figure correctly, it took 60 days to get your paperwork through.

It was about six weeks to get the card, and then I was traveling for a bit so I was not able to actually purchase the gun. In order to get it, I had to:

- provide two references, who were sent questionnaires
- get finger-printed
- have a criminal background check (in addition to the check that is done at the time of purchase)
- have a mental health background check
- provide a copy of my birth certificate
- provide proof of residency (e.g. copy of utility bill)
I'd like to see the addition of a sample bullet, (fired, perhaps at your local police station,) to keep on file for forensic comparison with crime-scene bullets.

(Not relevant, though, for shotguns.)
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

NoRRmad wrote:
rdsmith3 wrote:
NoRRmad wrote:So, if I figure correctly, it took 60 days to get your paperwork through.

It was about six weeks to get the card, and then I was traveling for a bit so I was not able to actually purchase the gun. In order to get it, I had to:

- get finger-printed
- have a criminal background check (in addition to the check that is done at the time of purchase)
I'd like to see the addition of a sample bullet, (fired, perhaps at your local police station,) to keep on file for forensic comparison with crime-scene bullets.

You are also missing the prostate and eye exams, Urine, blood, saliva & stool samples (want to make sure the DNA matches EXACTLY, and an affidavit that you are not a cross-dresser. :shock:
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

angellr wrote:
NoRRmad wrote:
rdsmith3 wrote: It was about six weeks to get the card, and then I was traveling for a bit so I was not able to actually purchase the gun. In order to get it, I had to:

- get finger-printed

You are also missing the prostate and eye exams, Urine, blood, saliva & stool samples (want to make sure the DNA matches EXACTLY, and an affidavit that you are not a cross-dresser. :shock:
Who told you?!
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

NoRRmad wrote:
rdsmith3 wrote:

- get finger-printed

Why?

Should I register my chain saw, baseball bat, ax, chef knife, and sand wedge with the local police?

This happened right near me

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/1 ... sed_o.html
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
angellr

Post by angellr »

rdsmith3 wrote:
angellr wrote:
Who told you?!
Don't worry, it will be "our little secret". :o
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

The real problem with the fired bullet on file theory is, it is very easy to defeat. Anyone with a little knowledge of how those marks are left on a fired bullet, can alter the barrel of the gun, changing the marks on the bullet. It is as easy as allowing a little sand in the barrel, then firing the weapon. Buying a new barrel is another way. In my State they are trying to figure a way to put a serial number on each and every bullet. Then registering those bullets when purchased. Of course it can't work, but that doesn't matter.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

Also, I'm old enough to remember when gangs used "zip" guns -- homemade or improvised firearms. It may be a cliche, but it is still true that restrictions on purchasing firearms will not stop criminals procuring weapons.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
angellr

Post by angellr »

rdsmith3 wrote:Also, I'm old enough to remember when gangs used "zip" guns -- homemade or improvised firearms. It may be a cliche, but it is still true that restrictions on purchasing firearms will not stop criminals procuring weapons.
Amen! Criminals are not easily deterred.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

rdsmith3 wrote:Also, I'm old enough to remember when gangs used "zip" guns -- homemade or improvised firearms. It may be a cliche, but it is still true that restrictions on purchasing firearms will not stop criminals procuring weapons.
Criminals don't go through all the crap necessary to purchase a legal gun. They are criminals after all, and have connections to illegal firearms. It does sound like NJ infringes on a citizens 2nd amendment rights. They not only infringed on Brian Aitken's rights, they tossed him in the slam when he tried to do it by the book. Good incentive for doing things legally. Sounds like NJ creates criminals, who are legal in every other respect. Lets see, should I tell the State I have a gun, knowing they will put me in jail, or should I just stay out of trouble, and risk jail by not telling them I own a gun? Since I give the police no reason to search my house, I'd keep my mouth shut. Brian Aitken should be a lesson learned to all of us.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
NoRRmad
Double Lifer

Post by NoRRmad »

In New Jersey, if the gun's in your house, and you have a permit, you're OK. If you're carrying a gun to the firearms range and have a permit, you're OK. If you're on the way to a hunt and have a hunting permit, you're OK. If you're moving residences and have a permit, you're OK. Brian's problem was that he was in the middle of a protracted residence move. If he'd just gotten a place to live and was moving his firearms to that place, he probably would have been OK. But he left his guns at his mother's house for some weeks, placing doubt on the "moving residences" exemption. He should have gone to a firing range from his mother's house and then home to his apartment, (or said he was.) Aaaaand... placing enough fear in his mother, enough to cause her to call the police, wasn't a smooth move either. She apparently was convinced that he was a danger to himself or others, and perhaps the officers on the scene were convinced by his behavior to agree.

But Brian didn't need a pardon, he needed an appeal. The judge was an idiot, and violated the law by refusing to let the jurors know the particulars of NJ firearms law.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Wow - a lot of problems for doing something perfectly legal in most other states!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
NoRRmad
Double Lifer

Post by NoRRmad »

In New Jersey, they don't like people walking around or driving around with guns readily accessible. It's a high-pressure state, lots of road rage, a concentrated population, and confrontation seems to be the state sport. It's OK to have a gun to defend your home, but in a crime situation (personal shame aside,) they think it's better for everybody to just give up your wallet than to start a gunfight on a crowded street.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

And the sound of racking a shell into a shot gun is itself excellent theft deterrence... :shock: :idea:
Rich
ADIOS!