keep the 1100 or go to a 1200?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

AndyK
Basic User

keep the 1100 or go to a 1200?

Post by AndyK »

I have a '99 R1100R with 61,000 miles on it, of which I've put on 57,000 over the 6 years I've owned it. I've had electrical issues resulting in a dead bike on 2 occasions. Once an ECU needed replacement, and most recently a Hall's was replaced. The bike is now great again, and perfectly comfortable for me with a high windscreen, Throttlemeister, hard cases, and Highway Pegs. So the question is, should I get the recommended spline lube and plan on keeping the bike for 40,000 more miles, or say it's time to get a gently used R12200R that I'll hope to make as comfortable as this bike. I'd rather not spend the money if I don't need to, and if all the bugs are out of the bike I'd prefer to keep it, but if a newer bike would be more dependable, maybe I should just make the move. Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: keep the 1100 or go to a 1200?

Post by ICBMguy »

I think you've answered your own question. You've got a comfortable bike you enjoy, and you've replaced most of the things that have already gone wrong/broken. I'm a maintainer in the Air Force, and it's typical to have 20, 30, and 40-year old airplanes flying with no real problems. Anything mechanical will wear out with age, but swap in new parts and voila! Like new again! Think of the cost of "upgrading" (to include adding a new windshield, highway pegs, etc.) and put that money into a parts budget.
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
AndyK
Basic User

Post by AndyK »

Thank you, ICBMGuy. I do like my bike, I'm just gun shy that I'll be on another long trip and have the bike die on me. I just hope those events are not to be expected just because it's a 13-year old bike. On the other hand, like you say, if all the old parts have already been replaced, I should be good to go. Thanks again.
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Hello Andy,

that is a very difficult question. For sure the later 1100 models (post 1997) are very fine bikes and very little can go wrong. I have mine since over 13 years but I must admit that I have changed (pimped) much over the years and my R has never disappointed me or let me down. I have spent much money on getting her to the state she is now.

However during the festive days it has clicked and I though why spend more money on pending projects I had in the pipeline and I have just bought a very low priced R1200S as a base for new projects.

Anyway I would suggest you stick to yours if you are happy. There are many riders out there who have over 200 000 kms on the clock without any major problems. Moreover if anything goes wrong parts are easily available for little money ...

Brgds
Oliver
AndyK
Basic User

Post by AndyK »

Oliver,
Thanks for your advice. I've decided to stick with this bike and will consider getting a newer one only if my hand is forced to do otherwise. It would just be so simple if I didn't like it so darn much...
Andy