Water cooled GS spied

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

zei220
Donating Member #: 0

Water cooled GS spied

Post by zei220 »

Could we be getting this engine soon?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... -gs-spied/?
Tarmac
Basic User

Re: Water cooled GS spied

Post by Tarmac »

I do love me some GS. If I thought I was ever going to ride off road, I'd get one.
If they do drop that motor into a R12R, it may actually be worth upgrading to.
And someone should dingle whoever it was at MCN who put the watermark right on top of the good bits, so that you can't really see a damm thing.
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

What I heard is the water cooled boxer is scheduled for the 2013 GS, and then the other models will be upgraded after that. I thought they would get more horsepower, but evidently the water cooling is more to meet other mandates like emissions.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Acpantera
Lifer

Post by Acpantera »

Not to sound like a knuckle dragger or anything but, with a 150hp multistrada and a 135hp tiger it would hurt BMW not to have at least 135hp.
ASK WHY
firstforward
Basic User
Donating Member #: 945

Post by firstforward »

I heard a rumour and nothing more than that, they are supposed to be selling the watercooled along side the oil cooled for a period of time then eventually phase out the oil cooled. Personally speaking the attraction to the R1200R was because it is not water cooled so I guess I will be purchasing one of the last oil cooled, be nice if it could have one more power upgrade before then.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

If BMW follows their usual pattern - the "Roadster" is always the last bike to be updated.. and as big a change as the new engine is, it won't be an update, these will all be entirely new models of the bikes. If the GS comes out in '13 - I wouldn't expect to see a new Roadster before 2015 (pattern is usually 1st year - GS, 2nd year - RT, 3rd year - Roadster.) It was fairly simple for them to design the camhead engine to fit in the hexhead frames since the bottom end (and mounting points) are basically identical. Not so with a water cooled engine, plus the need to dangle all the damn water cooling crap (I'm not at all biased.. much..) off the bike will require a new frame.

And that would be about the right time period - BMW plans on about 8 to 9 years out of a model, with a 4 year "refresh" (which is what the camhead models are.) The GS came out in '04 - so 8-9 years is 2013 (or late in 2012), the RT in 2005 - 8-9 and a bit years is 2014, the R in 2007 - 8 years is 2015. There was the ugly duckling ST in the original 1200 series, (replaced by the R1200S - which also failed) so that may have buggered the time-line just a bit.

BTW - anyone thought about dropping an R1200S engine in an R1200R? 122HP should be enough to be noticeable.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

"BTW - anyone thought about dropping an R1200S engine in an R1200R? 122HP should be enough to be noticeable."

What parts differ in the two models?

Mark
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

I know they are geared differently.
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
objectuser
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1029

Post by objectuser »

What's the down side of water cooled engines?
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

objectuser wrote:What's the down side of water cooled engines?
I would imagine it would be the additional weight of the cooling system and size of the engine, and to some people the aesthetics.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
bicyclist
Basic User

Post by bicyclist »

I think any additional weight is so insignificant that it's a non-issue. Aesthetics? Maybe to some. The only real downside I can see is that there will be a radiator up front with a whole lot of very hot air blowing back on the rider. For guys who have ridden boxers for years, it'll be a shock.

On the other hand, a water cooled engine should be quieter and get better fuel mileage.
kidtwist
Basic User

Post by kidtwist »

Additional complexity would be a downside, along with weight. Presumably the cost would be higher too. But for me, radiators just don't look right on motorcycles. They can design the bike such that the radiator is hidden (sort of) behind bodywork. But the less bodywork the better, in my opinion.
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

kidtwist wrote:Additional complexity would be a downside, along with weight. Presumably the cost would be higher too. But for me, radiators just don't look right on motorcycles. They can design the bike such that the radiator is hidden (sort of) behind bodywork. But the less bodywork the better, in my opinion.
An oil cooler is basically the same thing, and my bike ('11) has a big oil cooler on it. I haven't done any scientific measuring, but I'd guess it's about 60% of the combined radiator area on my VFR (split rads on each side of the bike under the bodywork). We don't really have lot of details on the new setup, but I'd heard something about only water-cooling the heads or something like that. I don't think it'll be a huge radiator - so I think it could end up looking similar to the current oil cooler setup.

I've also seen some Japanese cruisers with radiators that were really well hidden with very minimal bodywork. It's not impossible to do, and if anyone can do it, it should be BMW.

I'm with you - I love the lack of bodywork on my bike (although I like bikes with bodywork too). But this might be non-issue, visually at least.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

Complexity and maintenance. With increased complexity comes increased changes for failure. (Law of Unintended Consequences.. which is why I also think nuclear reactors are really dumb.. but I digress..)
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

deilenberger wrote:
Complexity and maintenance. With increased complexity comes increased changes for failure. (Law of Unintended Consequences.. which is why I also think nuclear reactors are really dumb.. but I digress..)
Hypothetically true, but there are tons of examples of just the opposite: Honda VFRs and STs, BMW Flying Bricks, Suzuki SVs and V-Stroms... the list is quite long. Water-cooled doesn't equal high maintenance and unreliable, by any means.
objectuser
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1029

Post by objectuser »

I definitely won't be put off by the increased complexity, per se. If, in the end, it's a fun and reliable bike, I'll be interested (GS, R, whatever).

It seems like there are a lot of cool bikes coming out this year: Tiger Explorer, new GS, Versys 1000 ... should be fun.
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
firstforward
Basic User
Donating Member #: 945

Post by firstforward »

deilenberger wrote:
Lets put it this way, if they could overcome emission regulations, increase power and keep the reliability, you bet they would stay air/oil cooled so I have to agree with you on this one.

For me I would just like the cruise control of the new Tiger Explorer on my R1200R, that would make it complete, there are some good bikes coming out at the moment the market seems very competitive but it would take a fair bit to move me from my bike of the moment.
Anyname
Basic User

Post by Anyname »

+1 on the cruise control