New R1200R battery charging

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

slowtorque
Lifer

New R1200R battery charging

Post by slowtorque »

Well, I originally wanted the 1200 when I found a great deal on my 1150R last summer. Have enjoyed the 1150R so much that I kinda forgot about the newer model. Fast forward to last week when I found a great deal on a 2010 1200R and had to get it. Great shape, low miles, service records, bags. Seems a lot sportier than the 1150R which I have set up for travel anyway with a full Aeroflow set-up. I don't plan to sell the 1150.

Anyway, it seems that my BMW charger that I use to maintain my 1150's battery with no problems seems to never be able to fully charge the 1200R. And upon starting, the 1200 does seem to have a rather weak battery driving the starter. I have almost two years left on the BMW warranty. Chances are this is just a bad cell, I'm guessing? Wonder if that is covered by the 3 year warranty? Is it possible there is some other issue? I am plugging the charger into the single powerlet socket I assume comes with the bike from the factory.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Re: New R1200R battery charging

Post by Lost Rider »

You need to connect a harness directly to the battery to charge it and bypass the BMW CANBUS system that is completely different than the electrics we had on the 1150R.
(I miss my KISSAN signal minder! I want the turn signal to be running lights again!)
That should help as I don't believe you can charge the battery through the R1200 BMW powerlet socket, unless it's hard wired to the battery. (doesn't come from BMW like that)

Something like this:
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=48079

Once you have an SAE harness installed, that's what you could use to plug in an air pump or electric gear, as the new and improved CANBUS powerlet socket won't support things like that.

Or buy a Shorai battery and never need to worry about plugging it into a charger. I have one on my GS, super lightweight, strong cranking power and will hold a charge for a year without a tender. Mine was just left untended for 4 months and started like it was ran yesterday. I've left my 8" HID race light on for 2 hours (not wired into ignition) and my bike still started, it's that good.
http://www.shoraipower.com/

Good luck!
Get Lost!
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

Ah, I had no idea. I just happen to have a spare Battery Tender and the terminal kit. Is the battery underneath the tank like on my R1150R? I love to work on my bikes (and have a new K&L pro lift on the way :D ) so I plan to do this myself.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Even easier, it's under the seat. :D

The seat's key release is under the tail light.

Welcome to the club!
R1200R Roadster heaven

-Finn
Get Lost!
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

Outstanding! Thanks a bunch!
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE