Odyssey PC680 vs PC680-P

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Odyssey PC680 vs PC680-P

Post by duckdave »

Ok, I ordered a replacement PC680 Odyssey from SEPBatteries.com ($114.95/free standard shipping). There was little feedback from the company regarding the order, etc. but it arrived 6 days later, and my credit card seems to be charged the proper amount. So, I'm OK with all that, although there are parts I thought could have gone smoother with a little feedback from the company.

The battery that arrived says "PC-680-P" on the side of the box. I'm immediately alert, since I think they maybe have shipped the wrong battery. However, my internet research proves inconclusive regarding the possible difference between the PC-680 vs PC-680-P. Research reveals that there are different specs listed for the PC-680 from various websites. The battery I want should say Pulse-5 sec Hot Cranking Amps (PHCA) = 680 and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) = 220. But a lot of sites list the PC680-P as having the PHCA/CCA as 520/170. Being a typical male, I know more is better and I want 680/220. Even the EnerSys Energy Products, Inc website lists the PC-680 as having 520/170.

OK, so the box the battery came in says PC680-P; however, the actual battery says PC680. And the fine print on the battery says "PCHA 680/CCA220".

Can anyone shed any light on these discrepancies? Should I just forget it and go with the battery I received?

BTW, I got 4+ years service from my last Odyssey which was a PC680-MJ, without any special care (i.e., no use of trickle charger until the last). As I understand it, that's better than average. The metal jacket (MJ) part was unwanted, but fit into the space and worked fine. I'd just like to repeat that story, and expect and get the same service from this battery as I got on the last. I have a buddy that's a big fan of trickle charging batteries while parked. He says "Batteries don't die, they are murdered." But I ride almost every day or at least 3x per week. I might try a trickle charger during down times (vacation, snow and ice storms, etc.) to avoid being a murderer! We'll see.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: Odyssey PC680 vs PC680-P

Post by towerworker »

I wish I could add some enlightenment to your question but I can't. I too have just replaced my BMW battery with a new PC680. I'm currently not riding and haven't since 05/10 but hope to change that soon. I bought mine 11/11 from Amazon and got it for $99 +free shipping. I just checked and it's now $115.

4 years out of a battery is about right. Odyessy claims a service life of 3 to 10 years. That's a pretty big spread, not sure what is required to get 10 yrs out of one.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
duegi
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by duegi »

As long as you're not running heavy duty straight weight oil you should be fine. Little Rock AR has a somewhat moderate climate so the difference in cranking amps should be negligible. Further North latitude and one might worry about it more. Go ride and enjoy yourself!
Brett
May your friction coefficient always be constant...
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

Varroommmm-----this weekend if the weather holds. Thanks for the input.
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Is that a BMW battery? I don't have to tell you how wrong it is to install something besides a BMW battery. Besides, the "P" is probably for "Piss-poor"...but I wouldn't swear to that. All I know is you better use only a BMW battery.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I thought the same thing. I spray painted my battery gray and stenciled BMW on the front. My bike didn't know the difference.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

I've a feeling that there must be an undiscovered force carrying particle which covers the US and which trashes batteries at an average of 4 years BUT makes your tyres last 10000+ miles because over here in the UK we have the supersymmetric particle! The best I have had out of any of my tyres was 7000 miles, but my good ol' original equipment lead-acid battery is still going strong at 6 years. Just to confirm OE battery life, I asked around a few friends and the average life seems to be around 9 years.

Well there ya go.....

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Four years is about all I got out of a battery.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

"Batteries don't die, they are murdered."

Exactly. The exact phrase used by me for decades. Fortunately, the Boxer motor's huge output, tightly regulated car alternator (your 1st best friend) is THE BEST charging system on ANY M/C, shared with a like design on 6 cyl GoldWings. They both can charge the bike's battery at engine idle even with "traditional" electrical loads. It's short trips, multiple starts and riding down time that take their toll on battery longevity.
A Battery Tender charger is your 2nd best friend in those cases and should be attached after a short trip and/or before an anticipated non use period.

With some bikes (H-D) there are heat and vibration and sometimes under/over charging issues that will kill any battery before it's time (< 2 years).
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--